EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4371 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 
Studies: English*, German

Message 1 of 6
23 August 2014 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

I'm in the UK and currently going into my first of two years studying a-levels and I have chosen science based
subjects. My aim is to study a science based subject at university. If I were to change my mind and wanted to pursue
something like French at university, could I get in without an a-level? Would it be suffice to show that you have
completed the French B2 exam instead of an a-level? I've tried to research this online but I don't think it's a very
common dilemma that someone would have. I am not looking at studying French at university, it's more of a
hypothetical question that has bugged me for quite a while.

Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4624 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 2 of 6
23 August 2014 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
EnglishEagle wrote:
Hi,

I'm in the UK and currently going into my first of two years studying a-levels and I
have chosen science based
subjects. My aim is to study a science based subject at university. If I were to change
my mind and wanted to pursue
something like French at university, could I get in without an a-level? Would it be
suffice to show that you have
completed the French B2 exam instead of an a-level? I've tried to research this online
but I don't think it's a very
common dilemma that someone would have. I am not looking at studying French at
university, it's more of a
hypothetical question that has bugged me for quite a while.

Thanks!

Given the academic bias of the UK educational system, my guess is they'd want something
a bit closer to A level.

But the chances are you wouldn't be able to study just French - it would be more likely
to be Modern Languages, with say, French and German as your chosen languages.

I don't know if it's still the case, or if it's a fashion whose day has passed, but
there was a time when universities were offering science plus language options.

If those are still available, might that be more useful, and possibly more interesting
to you, since you probably have an interest in both?

IMHO, a purely languages-based degree might somewhat limit your career options, unless
you were really really set on a languages-based career.

Languages plus science, or science plus languages could be a really powerful option.
(Or possibly engineering plus a language / languages).

Another possibility you might think of is studying abroad, e.g. Germany. I think you
can now take courses there entirely in English if you really wanted to, although you
might be better off getting your German up to a good level before you go, so you could
actually study through the medium of German. There are courses you can take there as
well to try to make sure your German is up to the right level (and you'd have to sit a
test), but I'd think it would be worth it.

If you think of Germany's reputation in science and technology, and given that it's the
economic power house of Europe, and that it has some great universities to choose from,
why not think about it?

Do lots of research now before you commit yourself.

(And you could almost certainly fit in French courses while there, just as well as you
could have at a British University).

5 persons have voted this message useful

cpnlsn88
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4833 days ago

63 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto, Latin

Message 3 of 6
23 August 2014 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
My advice is to look around at your preferred courses then look at what language add ons
are included in those Universities. Some allow study of languages ab initio or from a
lower level, others will set up some kind of language course on top of the degree. Some
will allow for study or work abroad. Languages courses where languages are the main thing
are likely to focus on literature, culture, society, history etc which might not totally
be to your tastes so looking into what other universities offer might be a good idea.

Other people might have more specific ideas!

EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4371 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 
Studies: English*, German

Message 4 of 6
24 August 2014 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
Thank you both for posting. I thought I had replied earlier but I'm not too sure what happened. There are so many
paths that I can take and I am currently doing some more research.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5003 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 6
25 August 2014 at 11:39am | IP Logged 
I agree that a language degree on its own isn't the best for job prospects. Also bear in mind that language degrees here in the UK tend to very much focus on literature and culture rather than speaking, and many people graduate from them without a particularly high spoken level; whether this is a good or a bad thing obviously depends on your interests but it's something to be aware of. I've met quite a few French graduates and most speak at a level of around B1 or B2, which is quite achievable in a couple of years of spare time self-study.

Personally I'd stick with the idea of a science-based subject and study languages in your spare time, taking advantage of all the opportunities that student life offers: free time and flexibility, social opportunities to meet people from all over the world, possible language classes as an outside course in the first and second year or free/cheap evening classes offered to students, and last but not least, study-abroad opportunities like Erasmus. My old university even has a "Tandem" organisation that organises regular language meetups and helps people find exchange partners. Given all that, I really wish I had been interested in languages when I was still a student, rather than only developing the interest afterwards, and not doing Erasmus is a slight regret of mine. Montmorency's idea of studying abroad is also worth considering.

Edited by garyb on 25 August 2014 at 11:43am

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4418 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 6 of 6
25 August 2014 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
Also bear in mind that language degrees here in the UK tend to very much focus on literature and culture rather than speaking, and many people graduate from them without a particularly high spoken level; whether this is a good or a bad thing obviously depends on your interests but it's something to be aware of. I've met quite a few French graduates and most speak at a level of around B1 or B2, which is quite achievable in a couple of years of spare time self-study.

Yes, I've noticed this. I don't have any formal qualifications in German but I'm in the fortunate position of being in regular contact with native speakers and I spend 3-4 weeks every year in an immersive environment in Germany. We also have German guests a couple of times a year, so our home in the UK becomes a German-speaking zone during these periods. I've supplemented all this with self-study and I attend conversation groups on a regular basis.

It used to surprise me that when I met British people who had studied German at university, I often spoke at a far higher level than what they did.

Edited by beano on 25 August 2014 at 1:14pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version