Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4185 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 9 of 10
28 August 2014 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
well , thanks for your contribution . I guess I will try to learn the 500 most common pairs when I go about
learning Russian seriously along with lots of input . I hope that will reduce mistakes .

@Arnaud25 , I thought that the first case was to be translated with something more like "I was calling him
"and the second one "I called him ". If one thinks not only about the being in progress of an action ,but
also about its result ,indeed yes it can get really subtle and tricky .
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6500 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 10
28 August 2014 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
Actually I found a book on Croatian verbs in Berlin during the polyglot get-together, so my laments about my two Serbian dictionaries is strictly targeted towards those - and towards the fact that I couldn't find a similar book about Serbian books (I have got a big fat red one for Russian). And of course I also bear a grudge against any other Slavic dictionary which doesn't indicate perfective-imperfective verbs in a clear and unequivocal way. The distinction may not be interesting to native speakers, but clear indications are necessary for learners.

Medulin's remarks about the imperative were very useful - I hadn't noticed that use of aspect. And if I should have guessed, I would have guessed that the most urgent order would have been associated with the perfective, not the imperfective. Btw. I haven't made a green sheet for Serbian or Croatian aspect yet. My wordlist project has taken the most of time I could have used on grammar.

Edited by Iversen on 28 August 2014 at 11:36am

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version