Diglot
United States
Joined 5035 days ago

174 posts - 330 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 15
27 August 2014 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
So I'm probably not going to have much success with the student who said I don't need to learn this crap, I'm never
going to leave the United States, I won't even be going to Florida? Just venting a little ... I know how important a
positive outlook is when beginning a new challenge. Just feel fortunate that not everyone in this class shares his
negativity.
1 person has voted this message useful

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5362 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 10 of 15
28 August 2014 at 6:53am | IP Logged 
Just something which I remembered about this morning.

Angela Lee Duckworth did her PhD on why some people succeed in an endeavour and others don't, and also
raises the common question of innate ability/talent vs. time applied and how they weigh up in terms of success.
She ended up writing a book on the subject, but her TED talk can be found below which gives a good insight into
her work and findings.

The conclusion she ultimately drew in regards to the 'key' ingredient for success was grit, the simple (in theory)
ability to stick it out.

The Key To
Success - Angela Lee Duckworth

sctroyenne wrote:

While working or studying in a "flow" state you lose your perception of time and you
can do higher quality work for longer since you're not stressed and your attention
isn't wandering. It explains how people can "lose themselves" in deep study or
practice.

That's it. I swear when you're in that state it's almost like having a superpower of some kind, or you've
momentarily ascended to some higher level. Incredible mindset to be in. Thanks for the info.
2 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5032 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 11 of 15
28 August 2014 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
wv girl wrote:
So I'm probably not going to have much success with the student who said I don't need to learn this crap, I'm never going to leave the United States, I won't even be going to Florida? Just venting a little ... I know how important a
positive outlook is when beginning a new challenge. Just feel fortunate that not everyone in this class shares his negativity.

I said something similar when I went to high school in Ohio. I'm never going to England, why should I go to English class! But the joke was on me, I've lived in England for almost 20 years now. I think the universe has a sense of irony don't you?

5 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4240 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 12 of 15
28 August 2014 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
Learning a different language is more than talent and abilities. In some places people who live as next
door neighbours won't speak each other's languages due to the politics.

Some people recognize themselves as a distinctive culture (minorities) within a country. In a place like
Quebec City, people recognize they are part of Canada and English is 1 of the 2 official languages
including French. The French there besides the shops & restaurants in the tourist area, people have
reservations for using English. Another place is Hong Kong. After the handover to Chinese rule, many
Hong Kong people have reservations for using Mandarin and Simplified Chinese characters. The locals
think of themselves as a distinctive people within the People's Republic and not just another Chinese city
like Shanghai or Beijing. There are certain accommodations over the years. The announcements at
airports and public transport (subways & trains) have announcement in English, Cantonese & Mandarin.
The shops in the tourist district serve customers in Mandarin but the locals would only talk to each other
in Cantonese. They tend to stereotype Chinese from the Mainland as being uneducated and impolite.

In Canada, students have classes in English & French. In Hong Kong, they have classes in Cantonese, the
choice of English or Mandarin. People tend not to be fluent speaking languages except their mother-
tongue.

holly heels
Groupie
United States
Joined 3682 days ago

47 posts - 107 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 13 of 15
28 August 2014 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
The "not being wired for languages" excuse is very commonplace in the USA., but it flies in the face of human evolution, since all humans, even primitive ones, are capable of verbal communication, unless they are deaf mutes.

Almost everyone is wired for languages, to some extent, but most aren't wired for oratory at the Oxford debating society.

Probably many of the Kazakh or Mongolian students in China are not wired for learning languages in the classic sense, but somehow many of them go well beyond a B2 level in Mandarin.

I just listened to a Mandarin radio program where all the guests were from Neimenggu (Inner Mongolia), and all of them spoke Mandarin fluently, but as a second language.

I figure Turkic or Altaic languages are in some ways at least as far away from Mandarin as IE languages, so it must have been a struggle at first to learn it, but they were successful. And knowing that they were successful means I can be successful too, wired for languages or not.

Sometimes people say that an entire gender is not wired for languages, or for math. My sociology book says that the female gender is an expression--oriented toward interpersonal communication, and that the male gender is an instrument--oriented toward the accomplishment of a task.

So a learner can approach language learning from the mindset of wanting to communicate and express oneself, or the mindset of wanting to accomplish a task, and either method can be successful under the right circumstances.

Edited by holly heels on 29 August 2014 at 10:23pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 15
30 August 2014 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
A quick summary of the conditions of Flow from Wikipedia

Fixed the link.

Also, I'm now reviewing fellow learners' submissions and one of them wrote several great blog entries. One of them explains focused vs diffuse thinking in more detail than I did.

Edited by Serpent on 30 August 2014 at 2:46pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 15 of 15
30 August 2014 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
serpent wrote:

without sufficient motivation, it's surprisingly easy to neglect the details, with the long-term effect of being unable to produce consistent speech in the heritage language, or in some cases having virtually no speaking skills at all.

The problem with motivation is it starts to evaporates at the first struggle, and a little bit more is stripped away after sequential challenges. So motivation and mindset alone aren't the answer.

Note that I was mostly speaking about people in an immersion situation, especially children. Interaction without being able to use a more familiar language is a strong motivation on its own.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version