Language Learning Forum : Links & Internet Resources Post Reply
surikate
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3524 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 1 of 8
26 August 2014 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
Hi All,

I just moved to Barcelona and I would like to learn Spanish even if I know that Catalan is the spoken language here. I am looking for tools or Social Networks where I can either use a solution or meet people to teach me Spanish. For now I have found those 3 online communities :

- Nekoplaza
- Babbel
- LiveMocha

Do you guys know any other tools/communities ?

I appreciate your help here. Thanks !

1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3924 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 2 of 8
26 August 2014 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
Italki is my favourite community for finding tutors or language partners! They're growing rapidly and have a lot of
members.

conversationexchange.com is a much less "pretty" site, but it's great for connecting with language partners.
4 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5155 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 3 of 8
26 August 2014 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
Spanishpodcast.org is a great site for learning Spanish and is focused on Barcelonan Spanish. The speaker/founder is from Barcelona and many of the podcasts are about Barcelona. You can find hit here.

If you are starting from scratch it will probably be too hard for you and I'd recommend doing Pimsleur and/or Michel Tomas followed by Assimil.
4 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5042 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 4 of 8
26 August 2014 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum, surikate! There are many resources available for learning Spanish. So many that it can be overwhelming. The key is not to make the task more difficult than it need be by throwing too many resources at it.

First, in order to help you better, I would advise that you fill out your profile more completely. From your post, it is obvious that you speak English, but is English your native language or a second language? The more you tell us about yourself the more we can help. Do you have any experience learning languages?

As to learning Spanish and the gazillion courses and resources available, I have found that to choose two complimentary courses is most helpful. A good, cost effective, method would be to get a course with audio (Assimil, Language Transfer Spanish, FSI Spanish Basic Course for example) and another more interactive one to complement it like Destinos, Pimsleur or Learning Spanish Like Crazy. Since you are living in Spain, your daily life will constitute a "multi-track" approach. Starting with a good phrasebook, like Lonely Planet, will get you speaking right away. Formal study will help you to understand why the phrases are the way they are and how to manipulate the language.

My advice would be to avoid putting too much faith in "Live Mocha, Babbel and Nekkoplaza". Put your faith in yourself and your own abilities by providing yourself with the tools to learn effectively. Living in Spain will be an advantage only if you use it along with your study. You can't depend on your environment to teach you without context. This is a mistake many people make who expect that living in a country where the language is spoken will somehow teach them the language. Don't get me wrong, it's a huge asset but only if one is prepared by one's own efforts to use it.

On HTLAL, many people have successfully learned another language by their own means. Almost every question you can think of has been answered many times. Logs of other Spanish learners can be a huge help. Searching for resources like I've mentioned, will give you answers to questions you may have. Once you've settled on a course of action, think about starting your own log. In this way, others who have been down the road before can help show you the way by providing help.

With daily study and interaction with the language you will be surprised how rapidly you will progress. Just don't expect miracles. The key is being persistent and consistent with your studies and use of the language.

¡Buena suerte con tus estudios!

Edited by iguanamon on 28 August 2014 at 1:33am

5 persons have voted this message useful

surikate
Joined 3524 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 5 of 8
26 August 2014 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
Italki is my favourite community for finding tutors or language partners! They're growing rapidly and have a lot of
members.

conversationexchange.com is a much less "pretty" site, but it's great for connecting with language partners.

surikate
Joined 3524 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 6 of 8
26 August 2014 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot Stelle and James29. :)

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6985 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 7 of 8
26 August 2014 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
The podcasts on SSL4You - Spanish as a Second Language for You
are a great source of comprehensible input for the intermediate/advanced student.

Enrico
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3525 days ago

162 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Italian, Spanish, French

Message 8 of 8
31 August 2014 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
iTalki
EasyLanguageExchange
Coefee
LingoGlobe
Verbling
Busuu
MyLanguageExchange
Babelvillag
Conversationexchange
Sharedtalk
Polyglotclub
Meetup
Speakmania

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version