zoombinis
United States
Joined 3679 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hungarian

Message 1 of 10
28 August 2014 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Not sure this is the right place for this, but here goes. I'm working through the
Hungarian Assimil, and would really like to have flashcards of each lesson to review on
the go (Ankidroid on my phone). My current method has been to type the Hungarian
sentences into Google Translate, copy that into Ankiweb, and then type the English into
Ankiweb. I try to make flashcards for the title, and cards for each group of sentences
(Assimil labels them 1-10, say) in the lesson. I think the later lessons might have
too many sentences and I'll need to break it up further, but I'll cross that bridge
then.

The problem is that it takes ages and is kinda tedious (especially using the Hungarian
keyboard to get the correct letters), which makes me not want to do Assimil on the
whole. I suspect the writing practice is probably helping, but if it makes me not want
to study then it seems counter-productive.

So... has someone here made flashcards from the Hungarian Assimil, or maybe even just
has the text already digitized? Either would be great!

Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4050 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 2 of 10
28 August 2014 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
I don't have an Anki deck for Assimil's Hungarian program, but I have made decks with audio out of FSI Hungarian, which you can download on AnkiWeb, (FSI 1 Vocab and Sentences, FSI 2 Sentences, and there's no audio for this last deck, but I also made FSI 2 Vocab if you need it). Not quite the same, but there should be about as much content, and the FSI course is a bit friendlier for learning Hungarian grammar.

If you'd still like to make a deck specifically for Assimil, I have a few tips that have helped me make a bunch of Anki decks.

-If you enjoy podcasts or audiobooks, listening to these while making anki decks helps quite a lot as its usually fairly mindless work that doesn't requite a lot of concentration. I would never have completed some of my big anki projects without entertaining podcasts to keep me sane.

-If you're using a virtual Hungarian keyboard, absolutely google how to set up either the US-International or Hungarian keyboard on your computer, it's a gigantic time saver once you get used to it.

-If you're copying from a book, I highly recommend taking pictures of all the pages and putting them on your computer. Then you can either crop the image to individual sentences and just copy the images into your cards, or set up the images on half the screen and your anki input on the other half. A lot of time is wasted looking back and forth between books and screens and constantly trying to find your place.

-Consider how long it takes you to copy a lesson into Anki and if inputting a whole course into Anki is worth your time. Is there a quicker method that would give you the same value? Perhaps it would be more efficient to only input difficult sentences that you're struggling with?
3 persons have voted this message useful

zoombinis
United States
Joined 3679 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes

Message 3 of 10
28 August 2014 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
Those FSI decks are great, thank you! I'll take a look at them tonight when I get
home. I have the FSI materials, but haven't started working with them, so having the
flashcards in advance will be a huge help. How did you like the FSI program? Would
you say it's a better starting point than Assimil? Or should I be working through both
at the same time? Any advice is appreciated. :)

I've just had random TV shows on in the background, but those are in English since
that's what I have handy. Since I'd only be half focused while making the flashcards,
would you recommend watching/listening in Hungarian instead? I've found a few
Hungarian radio stations I could use (don't really understand most of what they're
saying at this point though).

Been using Google's virtual keyboard, which pops up on the screen and also changes my
actual keyboard function (I'd go bonkers having to click each key on screen with the
mouse). I'm getting pretty good at finding some letters, but otherwise I keep having
to look.

I have a PDF (can't pull the text from it though - I tried) so I have everything on
screen which does help.

Haven't timed myself, but I created flashcards for three lessons last night which
wasn't too bad. It'd certainly take me ages to finish at that pace, and I'm still in
the early lessons - from what I can tell they only get longer. I do have to wonder if
it's worth it.

Assuming no pre-made flashcards for Assimil turn up, maybe I'll stick with the passive
wave (no flashcards) until I actually reach the active wave and see how I do. If I'm
struggling, as you say, I can make flashcards for the things causing me trouble rather
than everything.

Thank you!

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4050 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 4 of 10
28 August 2014 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
I'm still working through FSI, but I like the program a lot, the audio quality is much better than some other FSI courses I've used, and I think it introduces grammar at a more digestible pace than Assimil.

I do like the Assimil course a lot as well, but I had a lot of trouble with it because I was lazy about learning the grammar, and I began finding it very confusing untangling how the English translation correlates to the Hungarian sentences later on. If you get to lesson 19 and your brain doesn't melt, you're doing a lot better than I did. (Though the lessons after 19 aren't so so bad).

I'm always a fan of using multiple courses at once, so I would definitely say go try using FSI and Assimil together. But if you find the learning curve on Assimil gets to steep, you may want to put it aside for a while and focus on FSI then return to it later. I plan on reviewing Assimil after I've worked more with FSI, since a lot of the lessons didn't stick well for me on my initial attempt.

(And I just listen to English podcasts when I'm making decks, I don't know if I'd be able to focus enough on listening to Hungarian, but it couldn't hurt to try.)

Edited by YnEoS on 28 August 2014 at 8:33pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

zoombinis
United States
Joined 3679 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes

Message 5 of 10
28 August 2014 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
I'm pretty lazy about grammar in general (probably didn't pay as much attention to even
English grammar as I should've), and definitely have had some trouble puzzling through
which bit corresponds to what at times in Assimil. I've actually found Google
Translate to be some help there, since it'll define the words I'm not sure about while
I'm writing the flashcards out.

I was up to lesson 14 in Assimil, but stopped for a bit (got busy, and creating the
flashcards every time was burning me out). Trying to get back into it, and listening
to the earlier lessons as a refresher currently. Will dive back in soon I think. My
biggest concern is I'm just not sure how much I'm absorbing (but... that kinda seems to
be the magic of Assimil... it's just... absorbed somehow?) if I suddenly had to have a
conversation.

Maybe I'll start some of the early FSI to catch up a bit, and then start working on
both.

Thanks!

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4926 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 6 of 10
28 August 2014 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
zoombinis wrote:
... I can make flashcards for the things causing me trouble rather
than everything.

You might want to search the forum for how other people use Anki or other SRS systems. Users of these systems will probably tell you that making cards for trouble spots is much more effective than wholesale copying of an entire course. For one thing, if you're spending time inputting things you already know, you're using time that could be spent on more productive things. And it could turn into a vicious cycle: not wanting to delete already known cards because you spent so much time inputting them, resulting in very long review times.

Personally, I think that if you look at SRS solely as a means to reinforce memory, you're better off. No reason to recreate an already created course within an SRS system.

R.
==
3 persons have voted this message useful

zoombinis
United States
Joined 3679 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes

Message 7 of 10
29 August 2014 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
It's funny actually - I've been reading this forum for a while (only started posting now,
though) and I've read posts about SRS and Anki (I think this forum is how I found Anki
actually), but never really thought about if I was actually using my decks properly. I
think half the problem is I have an absolutely huge vocab deck that's just... daunting. I
don't want to go through that much. I'd started breaking Assimil into a deck for each
chapter to reduce some of the 'gah' feeling, but I'm thinking more and more that maybe I
just need to trust that I'm learning it and use it as a help, not a crutch. As you both
have suggested, using it for things I'm having trouble remembering, but if I know it then
maybe it doesn't need a card.

I guess let's see how well Assimil and all the rest sticks!

Enrico
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3541 days ago

162 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Italian, Spanish, French

Message 8 of 10
03 September 2014 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
Does anybody know perhaps where to find pre made Anki decks for another languages like Italian, Spanish or
French?

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version