14 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
mitcht
Australia
Joined 3540 days ago

32 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 14
29 August 2014 at 6:47am | IP Logged 
Does anyone have any advice on how to best internalise verb conjugation. I would say my
Spanish is at an intermediate level but i still have some issues conjugating verbs
naturally in conversation. When i write i don't really have the same issue as I have a
bit more time to think it through.

Many thanks,

Mitch

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4506 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 14
04 September 2014 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
Book an hour with a tutor on iTalki (preferably the meanest one you can find). Prepare
some topic to talk about, and ask that tutor to correct you EVERY. SINGLE. TIME you
misconjugate a verb (make sure they do not tell you the correct form). By the end of the hour you will hate yourself to bits and pieces, but you will get better at automatically producing the correct verb forms in Spanish. If an hour is not enough, do it another three or four times for good measure.

Producing the correct patterns in speech is a sign that you're still thinking through
your conjugation paradigms. "Oh, it's ella, so... it must be habla, right?" To make this
sort of thing automatic you simply need more practice with that grammar point. After a
few hours of drilling it into your head you'll be fine.

Edited by tarvos on 04 September 2014 at 6:05pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5174 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 3 of 14
04 September 2014 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
Do Michel Thomas Advanced and, more important, do FSI Basic.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 14
04 September 2014 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
Get more input to internalize the conjugations properly.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5061 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 5 of 14
04 September 2014 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
First, welcome to the forum, mitcht. Everyone has given you good advice. Follow it- all of it. You need to practice all these aspects of a language in order to internalize it. I'll second James29 and recommend that you hit the FSI Spanish Basic Course hot and heavy. Internalizing Spanish conjugations isn't going to happen overnight. After some months of drills, speaking and being corrected, listening to comprehensible input and reading comprehensible input, all during the same time frame, that should help you tremendously. Be prepared, it's going to take a while. If you want something to become automatic, you have to practice it, a lot.

Edited by iguanamon on 04 September 2014 at 9:36pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

mitcht
Australia
Joined 3540 days ago

32 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 6 of 14
05 September 2014 at 6:24am | IP Logged 
Thanks for all of the advice guys. Funnily enough I actually came across the FSI course
over the past week or so and have started to work through the BASIC course - this
seemed preferred to the programmatic. I wish I had come across this when I was starting
out as it appears far more thorough than anything else I've seen. With that in mind, is
there a consensus on how far the course will take you towards fluency?

I actually did go through the first Michel Thomas course when I took up the language a
year or so ago but didn't make it through the advanced course as I could no longer
handle the students. Perhaps I'll go back and suck it up. Also, for me at least, I
found that the course provided a solid foundation to learn from but didn't go far
enough as to internalise things. I also have been using italki for a little while now
after having my prior tutor move back to Spain.

The real test of my Spanish will come in a couple of months when I'm heading to stay
with my girlfriends family for a while. Whilst they speak enough English to communicate
with me it would be nice to not be reliant on everyone switching languages for me this
time. Sadly, I rarely speak Spanish with her at home as we normally revert to English
pretty quickly.
1 person has voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4467 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 7 of 14
05 September 2014 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
You have to know all 101 conjugation types,
Spanish Verb Encyclopedia may help you:
.http://www.verbolog.com/paradig1.htm
http://www.verbolog.com/paradig2.htm

As is the case with Swedish, and Latin, don't memorize the verbs in their infinitive form only,
you have to include the conjugated form, because 45 % of all Spanish verbs are irregular or semirregular (like the 1st three from the lower list):

cuento, contar = tell
siento, sentir = feel
defiendo, defender = defend
dependo, depender = depend

etc

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4808 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 8 of 14
05 September 2014 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
Most people who cannot use conjugations in a conversation need to drill them better either as separate forms or in sentences or both. So:

1.make an SRS deck with the common conjugations, irregular ones and the ones you keep having trouble with.something like front: hacer (present) back: hago,haces,hace,hacemos,hacéin,hacen works pretty fine for me.

2.lots of input. hearing and seeing the correct conjugation in context many times helps a lot both with creating the correct verb form and utilizing it in the proper context

3.focus on conjugation during your practice of any kind. Make your own sentences, speak to yourself, do exercises in your coursebook and so on. as long as you reinforce your correct use of conjugations, you are moving forward. Just don't let mistakes slip regularily "because this exercise is on something different"

4.when speaking Spanish, people will forgive you a lot of conjugation mutilations and other mistakes as well, as long as you obviously understand and can be understood without much trouble. Especially as even the Spaniards claiming to speak English aren't usually too good at it. The trouble is that it tempts you not to study during your stay as you have too little time for taking your verb conjugation book out of your luggage. But you will progress much better if you remember just a few things you are unsure about/don't know during the day and look them up in just a few minutes.

The FSI will take you pretty far but you should keep on mind it is an older course and needs to be supplemented, just as any course, with lots of native input. Lots.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version