13 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
oranje23
United States
Joined 3539 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Dutch

Message 1 of 13
29 August 2014 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
Hello, I have decided to start learning Dutch through self-study, and would very much
appreciate any advice on materials, strategies, etc.

1. Background.
(a) I have no experience with Dutch.
(b) My native language is Chinese (which is probably why I find it hard to pronounce
"r" in either Spanish or Germany). I also have native fluency in English, having
completed college and law school, as well as worked in the US.
(c) My work schedule is very tight, so I won't have hours to devote to learning Dutch
every day. However, I'm certain I have the motivation and diligence to spend some times
(say 30 minutes per day) and carry on with my study for months, years, as long as it
takes.

2. Goals.
(a) I would like to build a solid foundation, learning the grammar, the "why" and the
"how", instead of just phrases for touristic purposes (there is no need to learn Dutch
if I just want to travel anyway).
(b) I want to learn what is spoken and used in the Netherlands/Amsterdam, not Flemish
or dialects.
(c) My ultimate goal is to have reading fluency, and understand (most of) other Dutch
speakers (e.g. understanding an TV interview with a Dutch football player). Speaking
and writing are of secondary concern - not that I do not want to learn and practice
these skills, but I would be happy with the ability to form short and simple sentences.

3. Material. I have obtained a bunch of books, CDs, electronic files from a friend who
decided to learn Dutch on a whim and gave up too quickly. I am quite lost because there
are too many options (listed below).
My questions:
What should I use from the following list, and what should I avoid?
How can I supplement this list with additional materials (books, programs, websites,
etc.)?
In light of the goals above, what is a good strategy to tackle the materials (e.g. in
what order, should I repeat any of them after completion etc.)?

List
(1) Assimil - Dutch With Ease Pack (Book plus CD MP3) (2013)
(2) Michel Thomas - Start (2012), Total (2014), Perfect (2014)
(3) Pimsleur - Comprehenive Dutch (2007)
(4) Hugo - Dutch in 3 Months (2011), Hugo Advanced (1998), Taking Dutch Further (1997)
(5) Teach Yourself - Complete Dutch (2011)
(6) Colloquial - Colloquial Dutch (1996), Colloquial Dutch (2008), Colloquial Dutch 2
(2005)
(7) Routledge - Dutch: A Comprehensive Grammar (2008), Basic Dutch: A Grammar and
Workbook (2009), Intermediate Dutch: A Grammar and Workbook (2009)
(8) Henry Stern - 201 Dutch Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses (1979), Essential
Dutch Grammar (1984)
(9) A Reference Grammar of Dutch: With Exercises and Key (1999)
(10) The New Routledge & Van Dale Dutch Dictionary: Dutch-English and English-Dutch
(Routledge Bilingual Dictionaries) (2014)

4. Any other advice on learning Dutch?

Thanks a lot for reading this long post and I look forward to getting suggestions and
insights from everyone. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4504 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 13
29 August 2014 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
You don't need all of these textbooks, I'd pick a few and work through those (keep the
dictionaries and grammars though, they're useful). I find that people overload
themselves with textbooks and then never actually get anywhere; it's better to learn
one textbook properly and stick with it than do three half-assed. In fact, I'd just try
working through one or two of them. If they don't work, you can always get another one,
but you need to experiment and see what works. There's no set way to go through it. The
only way to know for sure is to check that it works.

What this list is lacking is native materials. Today, I was out with a student of mine
who's studying Dutch (I am one of the italki teachers) and she said that there's a
definite shortage of materials in Dutch (but it gets better once your Dutch is a bit
better). I agree.

www.oefenen.nl is a good website for training your Dutch. If you enjoy TV, try
Uitzending Gemist, you'll be able to watch all the TV you'd ever care to see.

You can use Duolingo for Dutch now (it's in Beta). You can also use iTalki for speaking
practice. I don't think Verbling has a Dutch option. I recommend lang-8 or Italki for
writing. I also recommend InterPals and finding yourself a penpal in which you exchange
Dutch for English or Chinese.

Unfortunately, I must impress upon you that the letter "R" in Dutch is equal to either
that of Spanish or German. If you're going for the Amsterdam variant (it's a particular
dialect and NOT the standard), you need to learn to roll your r's. You also need to
learn a whole tonne of other pronunciation aspects, and I recommend you spend the first
two weeks just learning that. Pronunciation is KEY for being understood and even if you
understand the grammar (which is important), it's less important than pronunciation in
Dutch because without pronunciation and especially the faulty "R" pronunciation will
simply cause people to speak English to you.

Dutch pronunciation, unfortunately, is strongly dependent on who's talking. I speak a
quite stiff and regular variant of Dutch, and I definitely do things that are non-
standard when I speak. So be prepared for a LOT of variety. Do not bother with
particular dialects; they can be very strong and they're almost exclusively used
between close friends, family and so on, especially in more closed Dutch circles. Many
young people don't speak dialect but retain the accent of the area they were born in,
with a few expressions for good measure. I am no exception.

The last thing is that your plan has no emphasis on dealing with Dutch culture, which
in my view for Chinese or Anglophone people is a big barrier, much larger than the
linguistic barrier. Dutch is very close to English and you'll find that you have most
of the vocabulary handed to you on a plate.

Edited by tarvos on 29 August 2014 at 8:43pm

11 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4087 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 3 of 13
29 August 2014 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
I would add two things--dutchgrammar.com, which is
brilliant wherefore one should begin, especially in terms of structure and grammar.
After the Assimil Le Néerlandais Sans Peine/Dutch with Ease, the La Pratique
du Néerlandais (1978)
, which is very dense and thick with detail to follow the
Assimil and the grammar workbooks and grammar manuals that you had already listed. It
is one f the thickest Assimil methods that I have seen, even though it is part of the
«Perfecionnement» series.

With respect to native materials, Uitzending Gemist as mentioned above has endless
selection and is always updated, but you could also choose radio if television or a
computer is unavailable. Should you have a mobile/portable telephone, I would download
the TuneIn application and place the selected station on something like NOS Nieuws or
BNR Radio, which are 24 hour news/discussion stations without a repeating/rolling
broadcast, i.e. they are constantly live 24 hours.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 29 August 2014 at 11:40pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3849 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 4 of 13
29 August 2014 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Hello oranje23
Welcome to the Forum. I have studied Dutch using most of the material on your list, along with other materials. From my experience, Tarvos is correct in advising that you do not need a lot of textbooks, particularly grammars. Here are my own suggestions:

The New Routledge & Van Dale Dutch Dictionary
Yes, absolutely! You might also consider Prisma

Henry Stern, 201 Dutch Verbs:
I have several “verb books” for studying French, Spanish, German, Russian, Italian, as well as a copy of Henry Stern’s 201 Dutch Verbs. I have found that these books are not all that necessary; I rarely consulted them while studying and this was particularly the case the more comfortable I became with the rules of conjugation. The only exceptions would be (a) if I were beginning to study a language with Pimsleur, I would probably buy a verb book, and (b) Bescherelle for any language that interests me.

Grammars:
I have all of the grammars that you listed; that is, I have far too many. I have found that most grammars provide fairly good explanations, but provide examples unsuitable for the beginner because he has not yet acquired sufficient vocabulary to understand them. Simply buy Henry Stern’s Essential Dutch Grammar, read through it once, quickly, and put it aside for the time being. Then, begin working with Michel Thomas, who uses decidedly unconventional terms (e.g., the “omdat effect”) and consult it as needed, as you move forward in your studies. Most good courses provide all the grammar you’re ever going to need.

Pimsleur vs Michel Thomas:
While I enjoyed both courses, I would recommend Michel Thomas simply because it costs less than Pimsleur. Furthermore, Michel Thomas includes a small glossary and a partial transcript, whereas with Pimsleur, you will have to develop your own notes and glossary by working backwards from the dialogues. The material covered by these courses is very similar, but not quite identical. If used conscientiously, both will provide you with a very basic introduction to Dutch and will build your confidence prior to attempting more challenging material. However, neither will take you very far; that is, not even to level A1.

Hugo, Routledge Colloquial, Teach Yourself:
These introductory courses compete with one another in the marketplace and are designed to take the student to, roughly, somewhere within the A1-A2 range, the latter level being perhaps wishful thinking. They cover more-or-less the same material and introduce more-or-less the same vocabulary. Pick one series, if you must, but my recommendation would be that, after having worked with Michel Thomas, you simply move on to Assimil Dutch With Ease, accompanied by Henry Stern’s Essential Dutch grammar.

Assimil Dutch With Ease
Assimil Dutch With Ease is a very solid course. While the publishers advertise that this course will take you to the B2 level, I suspect that B1 would be more realistic. Nonetheless, if used conscientiously, it will provide you with a solid foundation for further studies ... but you’ll have to work hard!

Assimil La Pratique du Néerlandais
While this course was published in French, and is no longer in circulation, copies can still be found on the Internet. It makes a great follow-up to the preceding Assimil course, IF you can locate a copy.

Routledge Intensive Dutch Course
I have bought (regrettably) several of the Routledge Intensive Courses. I say “regrettably” because they are not at all designed for the independent language learner and because they cover virtually the same material as most true self-study courses, but cost much more. Nonetheless, you might consider buying ONLY the 2 CDs that are sold separately with this course and using them as additional exercise material. Don’t be concerned about not having access to the course manual as (1) the dialogues on the CDs do not really follow the atrocious explanations in the manuals, (2) the transcripts of the CDs are freely available on Routledge’s website, and (3) neither the course manual nor the free transcripts contain translations. So, the 2 CDs could be useful for ear-training.

Living Language Spoken World Dutch
I mention this course because it is still available for sale and because it is, indeed, a solid basic introduction to the Dutch language. However, IF you’re going to use Assimil Dutch With Ease, then I would suggest that you not purchase Spoken World Dutch as you will have already covered the material with the former course.

Linguaphone Complete Dutch (Cursus Nederlands)
IF you cannot locate a copy of Assimil La Pratique du Néerlandais, I suggest that you consider Linguaphone Complete Dutch. Since it is a Beginner-Intermediate course, you will have already covered some of the material with, say, Assimil Dutch With Ease. However, the Linguaphone course material will present you with somewhat different vocabulary and dialogues will take you to a level somewhat above that of Assimil Dutch With Ease. The North American supplier is
Linguaphone U.S.A.. Frankly, while I like the Linguaphone courses, I find them somewhat expensive. Nonetheless, I would not hesitate to purchase one of their refurbished courses. In fact, that is exactly how I acquired my copy of their Dutch course!

DLI Refresher Course
Some kind soul provided a link to the archived
DLI Archived Courses. The DLI Dutch Refresher Course, while a little dated, provides an extensive Intermediate-Advanced level review of the Dutch language ... and it’s FREE!!!

Online Courses, Podcasts, Video Courses, Newspapers, Magazines, Readers, Etcetera:
I have “a tonne” of links and material that I could suggest, but I’m running out of steam on this post. Talk to ya later!

**EDIT TO THE ABOVE POST**
Dutch Readers
The following two recently-published graded readers are designed to take the student from approximately B1 to C1-C2. Very challenging!

Dutch for Reading Knowledge

Routledge Intermediate Dutch Reader

Edited by Speakeasy on 30 August 2014 at 12:41am

10 persons have voted this message useful

oranje23
United States
Joined 3539 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Dutch

Message 5 of 13
30 August 2014 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
Wow, thanks to everyone for your kind replies.

My largest concern now is exactly having too many books (which, I suspect, is why my
friend gave up quickly because she bought too many books and overwhelmed herself!).

I'll familiarize myself with the language by using dutchgrammar.com and something like
duolingo/Michel Thomas, before moving on to Assimil Dutch with Ease.

tarvos:
your advice on native material and cultural barrier is right on point! I hope that as I
move beyond the very basic level, I'll be able to handle more native material and
progress on learning the culture as well.

As for pronouncing "R", it is hard for me, or at least unnatural, but not entirely
impossible. Having said that, I do find Dutch pronunciation more difficult to manage
than that of most other European languages I have exposure to. I'll definitely take the
time to learn and practice my pronunciation.   

Speakeasy:
Wow!... I mean.. WOW! Thanks for patiently evaluating everything I listed and make
further suggestions. It feels like someone finally dragged me out of the sea of books
and set me on a track lol. I do look forward to hearing about your "tonne" of links and
material later!
1 person has voted this message useful

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5363 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 6 of 13
30 August 2014 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:

The last thing is that your plan has no emphasis on dealing with Dutch culture, which
in my view for Chinese or Anglophone people is a big barrier, much larger than the
linguistic barrier.

Do you have any recommendations on how to learn about the Dutch culture? Perhaps books, materials, websites,
etc., through which one can gain a better idea? Which aspects do you find to be some of the biggest barriers or
cultural shocks for foreigners? Ik ben benieuwd ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4504 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 7 of 13
30 August 2014 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if you know about this book, but there's an apparently rollicking read
called "The Undutchables" which is required reading for everyone emigrating to the
Netherlands.

Other than that, you need to read blogs by people who integrate, and most of all learn
about the aspect that makes the Dutch culture so Dutch - the way we interpret the word
"samenleving" (community / living together). The Dutch culture is very based around
privacy and one's freedom to do as they please, and the other side of the coin requires
that people are left to their own devices very often.

The Dutch are also not a meek bunch.

Antanas
Tetraglot
Groupie
Lithuania
Joined 4609 days ago

91 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: Lithuanian*, English, Russian, German
Studies: FrenchB1, Spanish

Message 8 of 13
30 August 2014 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
"Hugo Advanced" and "Taking Dutch Further" are two editions of the same book.

"Colloquial Dutch 2" is an advanced Dutch course. It goes well beyond A2. It also contains many notes about Dutch culture.

Recently axed e-book reader by Sony (as well as earlier models) has a Dutch-English and English-Dutch dictionary built-in. If you read a series of books about De Cock, a police detective in Amsterdam, by A.C. Baantjer (a former policeman) you may learn quite a few things about the Netherlands and its history.

If you know English grammar you can almost begin reading right from the start.

I believe, the main your problem will be vocabulary. There are various ways to tackle it. It depends on your learning style. For example, I like listening to audiobooks. It may seem counter-intuitive, but, if you are not in a hurry to learn Dutch and/or you plan studying other Germanic languages (besides English that you already know) in the future, it might be a good idea to learn German first. There are much more Dutch resources in German than in English. And there are much more resources in English of German than of Dutch. There are much more audiobooks in German than it is in Dutch. The Dutch do not seem to like spoken word as much as the Germans or even the Swedes do. Also, for some prosodic reasons, German is spoken much slower than Dutch, so it is much easier for a first-time learner of a Germanic language (besides English) to grasp spoken German than spoken Dutch. After you learn German Dutch will be much easier to learn.

Anyway, good luck.

Edited by Antanas on 30 August 2014 at 6:10pm

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version