Joined 3533 days ago

162 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Italian, Spanish, French

Message 9 of 13
01 September 2014 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
oranje23 wrote:

List
(1) Assimil - Dutch With Ease Pack (Book plus CD MP3) (2013)
(2) Michel Thomas - Start (2012), Total (2014), Perfect (2014)
(3) Pimsleur - Comprehenive Dutch (2007)
(4) Hugo - Dutch in 3 Months (2011), Hugo Advanced (1998), Taking Dutch Further (1997)
(5) Teach Yourself - Complete Dutch (2011)
(6) Colloquial - Colloquial Dutch (1996), Colloquial Dutch (2008), Colloquial Dutch 2
(2005)
(7) Routledge - Dutch: A Comprehensive Grammar (2008), Basic Dutch: A Grammar and
Workbook (2009), Intermediate Dutch: A Grammar and Workbook (2009)
(8) Henry Stern - 201 Dutch Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses (1979), Essential
Dutch Grammar (1984)
(9) A Reference Grammar of Dutch: With Exercises and Key (1999)
(10) The New Routledge & Van Dale Dutch Dictionary: Dutch-English and English-Dutch
(Routledge Bilingual Dictionaries) (2014)

The better to choose 1-3 and do them at the same time. If I would have to choose only one course from your list I
would choose Assimil, two - Assimil + Michel Thomas or Pimsleur while walking or going to work , three - Assimil +
Pimsleur and Michel Thomas while walking or going to work.
3 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3835 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 10 of 13
02 September 2014 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
Hi Oranje23,
   good luck with Dutch.
I'm studying it as well and I have the impression that if I started to study at the
beginning like I'm studying now, I would have put at maximum two months two reach my
current level (something between A1 and A2).

What didn't work at all with me was the tuple Michel Thomas - Pimsleur. Super basic,
super boring and super slow (but seems to work with other people).

What didn't work that greatly was to study long lists of vocabulary with SRS (I
reached 800 words more or less in this way). Probably, doing just the top 200 the
first two days was more than enough.

What works with me is to learn grammar, sentence structures and vocabulary all in one,
and I'm doing this using Duolingo (and I'm going to add another beginner method). Even
if I don't learn so many new words a day (my daily minimum was 25 when I was using
srs) my written and oral comprehension is improving amazingly. The most impressive
thing is that I didn't do any oral comprehension beside the exercises of duolingo.

I'm going at a fast pace with the goal to start with Assimil as soon as possible (I
will heavily tackle my oral comprehension using two of them). At the end of them I
will be a solid intermediate and a happy user of Dutch.

You received a lot of very good advices in this thread. To me the right combination,
widely speaking, is using simultaneously a method for learning the structures and one
for the oral comprehension. While at my point of view Assimil is a must, I think there
are more competitors for the other method.

But this is what works for me. Depending on your learning style and your affinity with
the target language things can work quite differently.
1 person has voted this message useful

Olekander
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5671 days ago

122 posts - 136 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Russian

Message 11 of 13
03 October 2014 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
I am starting finally on my quest to learn Dutch now. Having it on my to do list since
day one. Since I just started working full time I'm yet to get into a rhythm of things
yet i.e fitting in tennis, gym, leisure and language learning into the few hours I have
after work and at weekend. If you go out and get drunk at the weekend then you can't
achieve anything so its very tough to strike a balance.

Anyway the point I'm trying to make is that until I do put some sort of schedule
together all I'm doing is listening to Dutch radio at every available opportunity. On
way to work, on breaks, at lunch, ect ect. Because for me pronunciation for any
language has always been my most important factor I think it's important for me to
passively hear the sounds as much as I can before I even get started. I think many
people would be too keen and eager to get learning so I can't imagine this has been
done much previously.

anyway its quite funny how much you get to understand without any prior knowledge of
the language except your intuition and exposure passively to similar languages over the
years.

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 12 of 13
03 October 2014 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
So go out, but don't get drunk :) And go out with Dutch people! Get them in a group they
will still speak Dutch to each other :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

showtime17
Trilingual Hexaglot
Slovakia
gainweightjournal.co
Joined 5872 days ago

154 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Russian, English*, Czech*, Slovak*, French, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian, Polish, Dutch

Message 13 of 13
27 October 2014 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
What I would do if I were starting Dutch from 0:
I would start with two materials:
1) Assimil
2) some grammar workbook which has grammar explanations

You don't need too much material to start with. I am a language material compulsive buyer, so I have basically a huge stack of language learning material (I think I probably have most of the Dutch material you listed plus more), but don't really use most of it.

Once you have these two materials, then set up a schedule and stick to it. That's about it...

Once you outgrow that material, then go into other material or even into native stuff.

I actually prefer the Flemish version of Dutch, it's easier.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version