Joined 3544 days ago

162 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Italian, Spanish, French

Message 25 of 34
31 August 2014 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

I didn't get what you mean :-) even with a dictionary :-) I didn't want to flatter you, everything I have written was
sincere. :-) That's funny how it correlates with your quote :-)

iguanamon wrote:
But why not just be honest about where you live? People will think you are living in
an English-speaking country when you are not, really.

I'm honest. You've asked I've answered :-) I could say that I live in Naples or Milan or Necker but I did not. :-) If I
would be able to change this parameter to World/Worldwide/or leave it blank I would changed it. If you personally
do not like that I'm virtually in the Virgin Islands I can change it. It just confuse people when I think about studying
Italian while I live there. That's the reason I've got to your island, sorry :-)) It's hard to find a place I like where
people do not speak languages I like :-)

P.S. As far as I know Puerto Rico is also a part of Virgin Islands and one of the official languages there is Spanish. :-)

Edited by Enrico on 31 August 2014 at 8:26pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 26 of 34
31 August 2014 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Well, but you still keep it listed in your profile and basically imitate being from the Virgin Islands :)
I'd say the default location for those who prefer not to specify it is Antarctica. Prof Arguelles did ask someone whether they were a researcher, but most members will understand that you're not really there.
Alternatively you could choose some place where you at least have some heritage. I think most Russians have connections to Belarus/Ukraine/Kazakhstan/Moldova?

BTW, if you're not in the USA/Virgin Islands, you can discard most of what I said about Spanish.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5061 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 27 of 34
31 August 2014 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
Enrico, personally, I don't care where you say you live, I just think that your choices will influence how you are perceived and received on the forum. If you say you live in Italy and you're learning Italian, people are going to have much different advice for you based on this assumption. If you say you are living in the VI, people are going to think you are living in an English-speaking country. This can affect recommendations for you. For example, US websites are not geo-restricted for me. I can order from US Amazon with domestic shipping rates. Schoenhoff's offers domestic shipping rates to me. As far as I know, the Annenberg Destinos website for learning Spanish is geo-restricted to North America, etc. There are work-arounds available for those who live elsewhere.

Honesty in a profile just simply helps us to help you better, :)

By the way, Puerto Rico is not pat of the Virgin Islands and vice-versa. It is a separate US Territory/Commonwealth with it's own government and own territorial integrity.

Enrico
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3544 days ago

162 posts - 207 votes 

Message 28 of 34
31 August 2014 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Well, but you still keep it listed in your profile and basically imitate being from the Virgin Islands
:)
I'd say the default location for those who prefer not to specify it is Antarctica. Prof Arguelles did ask someone
whether they were a researcher, but most members will understand that you're not really there.
Alternatively you could choose some place where you at least have some heritage. I think most Russians have
connections to Belarus/Ukraine/Kazakhstan/Moldova?

BTW, if you're not in the USA/Virgin Islands, you can discard most of what I said about Spanish.

It's too cold in Antarctica, even virtually :-)) sorry I don't wanna leave there :-) Let's find more warm and beautiful
place in the world for me :-) which civilised and has many tourists from US and Europe :-) Maldives maybe? :-))

Enrico
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3544 days ago

162 posts - 207 votes 

Message 29 of 34
31 August 2014 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
If you say you live in Italy and you're learning Italian, people are going to have much different
advice for you based on this assumption.

That's was the very reason I've got to your island dear Iguanamon. :-)

iguanamon wrote:
If you say you are living in the VI, people are going to think you are living in an English-
speaking country. This can affect recommendations for you. For example, US websites are not geo-restricted for me.
I can order from US Amazon with domestic shipping rates. Schoenhoff's offers domestic shipping rates to me. As far
as I know, the Annenberg Destinos website for learning Spanish is geo-restricted to North America, etc. There are
work-arounds available for those who live elsewhere.

It's ok for me because all languages I'm learning now I'm learning using materials for English speakers. I can order or
find almost everything you can find on Amazon especially in the field of language learning. I did not see any website
which was restricted for Russian users but if I will find one I can easily overcome it in less than 1 minute (If Amazon
cannot sell me something that's the problem of Amazon's business and if they do not want to sell me I will find it
without them).

I find very interesting for example after reaching some level in English begin to learn for instance Italian via English
then French via Italian then Spanish via French. I find this approach very beneficial.

I completely refused materials in Russian even in learning English somewhere around A1 or A2 level. And I'm very
happy with that because materials in English is more comprehensive and less boring for me.

Edited by Enrico on 31 August 2014 at 9:46pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 30 of 34
31 August 2014 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
It's not only the materials. I assumed that you have lots of exposure to Spanish, including local radios etc. In Russia it's not like that.

And really, do you order from amazon? Isn't the shipping very expensive? I prefer to order from bookdepository, they have free shipping to nearly all countries, including Russia.

@iguanamon - no, Destinos aren't blocked for me at least. I've accessed the site from Russia and Belarus.

Enrico
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3544 days ago

162 posts - 207 votes 

Message 31 of 34
01 September 2014 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
It's not only the materials. I assumed that you have lots of exposure to Spanish, including local
radios etc. In Russia it's not like that.

And really, do you order from amazon? Isn't the shipping very expensive? I prefer to order from bookdepository,
they have free shipping to nearly all countries, including Russia.

@iguanamon - no, Destinos aren't blocked for me at least. I've accessed the site from Russia and Belarus.

I didn't say that I order anything from Amazon. I do not order not because of expensiveness, there are many things
that cheeper there but most of them are cheeper less than 100$ so it does not have much sense to wait for 2-4
weeks for 100$. I become very impatient when it comes to buy a new Assimil course or a new musical instrument
for example :-) Besides most of they sell they do not ship to Russia. I said that I can find most of I need for
language learning without Amazon.

By the way you can order English ebooks on Amazon usually at the price of 5-15$.

Edited by Enrico on 01 September 2014 at 12:34am

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5061 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 32 of 34
01 September 2014 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
Good luck, Enrico.

Edited by iguanamon on 01 September 2014 at 2:15am

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version