Film History Studies TAC15

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
51 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>
YnEoS
United States
Joined 4036 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 41 of 51
18 December 2014 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Impressive, congratulations! Looking forward to next year, as you will be adding a nice selection of languages, like Malay.

Could you elaborate a bit on what you mean by passive intermediate? How much do you think you can understand from a Russian text? I know that you get a discount for Japanese characters.

Not sure if I have a lot of useful reference points, since I haven't been doing much reading lately. With my subs2SRS decks, I usually have between 0 and 2 new words on each card. But movie dialogs are usually simpler than books, when you can replay the audio and consult subtitles. It's been some months since I've done L-R, but I'd say I still need a lot more vocab before I could start extensive reading classic literature.

I mostly just switch from beginner to intermediate when I switch from textbooks study to intensive native material study and then wait a few months to consolidate the stuff I learned in textbooks.

Edited by YnEoS on 18 December 2014 at 10:42pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4579 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 42 of 51
25 December 2014 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
Your log is fascinating, YnEoS. I'm intrigued by how you connected film study with
language study, especially as your approach is very similar to one I take with languages.
I don't study film, but I do love film/tv and literature/books and these two make up a
significant part of my interests.

Really looking forward to following your impressive progress this year!
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 43 of 51
25 December 2014 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
Impressive indeed. How do you find time for so much studies? :-)

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4036 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 44 of 51
25 December 2014 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
Your log is fascinating, YnEoS. I'm intrigued by how you connected film study with language study, especially as your approach is very similar to one I take with languages.
I don't study film, but I do love film/tv and literature/books and these two make up a
significant part of my interests.

Really looking forward to following your impressive progress this year!

Thank you, looking forward to discussing lots of movies/tv/books this year!

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Impressive indeed. How do you find time for so much studies? :-)

In part, my new system of using Anki makes it easier to rotate between languages. So I might only input new cards from 1 or 2 languages in a day and then because reviews get spread out thinly over the next few weeks or months I can make sure I don't forget what I learned while focusing on other languages.

Additionally my past posts may make it look like I'm doing more work than I presently am. I'm always overambitious when I'm experimenting with new methods of study then scale down my routine slowly until I find a good sustainable workload. Still waiting for my routine to stabilize a bit before I post an update.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4650 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 45 of 51
04 January 2015 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
Your approach is really interesting! Looking at those cards, the method seems to teach a lot of useful expressions and it looks fun. Maybe it's somewhere in your log and I didn't read it - how do you learn grammar? I guess Korean is a language you added recently? Do you use subs2srs from the outset and just select less complex sentences first?

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4036 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 

Message 46 of 51
05 January 2015 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
I'm going to be a little less active with my updates at the beginning of the year, as I'm focusing on some other projects of mine at the moment to which language study is tangentially related.

I think I burned myself out a bit at the end of last year adding lots of new languages on at once. So at the moment I'm using my languages more casually and sticking to more extensive activities in my stronger languages. I feel I learned a whole lot really fast, but the pace wasn't something I'm motivated to sustain so I've deleted most of my Anki decks and now I'm adding them back slowly 1 at a time to review and consolidate everything I learned at the end of last year.

I personally like the process of being over ambitious, burning out, deleting everything and rebuilding. So long as the burnout is not demotivating, I find it more fun to cram stuff in then review in smaller chunks, than to learn at a steady pace from the beginning.

I meant to do sort of a new introductory post for this year, but I think I'll wait til my routine has be reconstructed a bit before I do so.

Everything I started studying last year is still on the table for this year, I'm just taking a bit of a break from some of it.

druckfehler wrote:
Your approach is really interesting! Looking at those cards, the method seems to teach a lot of useful expressions and it looks fun. Maybe it's somewhere in your log and I didn't read it - how do you learn grammar? I guess Korean is a language you added recently? Do you use subs2srs from the outset and just select less complex sentences first?

My approach to grammar is to try to learn as much as I can just from passive absorption at first, and then when features start showing up that I can't figure out I'll look for some sort of explanation somewhere. With Japanese and Korean I have premade decks from Ankiweb that are sentences illustrating different grammar points with explanations of the grammar on the back, and I'm working on building my own grammar deck for Thai. When I've wanted to build up my active grammar skills in the past I've used Gabriel Wyner's method of making cloze deletion cards to test myself on different grammar points. But active skills are lower priority for me so I'm not doing a lot of that at the moment.

I experimented with using subs2SRS from the outset last year, and it worked well for languages closely related to other langues I've already studied, but for new language families it was way too inefficient. Mining simple sentences is probably one way to get around this, but I've preferred to find a good pre-made sentence deck with audio on Ankiweb or build my own from online resources like Book2.

Edited by YnEoS on 05 January 2015 at 6:44pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Sooniye
Diglot
Groupie
Sweden
Joined 3679 days ago

44 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Spanish, Danish, Turkish, Japanese, Croatian, Hindi, Hungarian, Albanian

Message 47 of 51
08 January 2015 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
Looking forward to follow your log, it is very fascinating!

Best of luck this year!

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4036 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 

Message 48 of 51
06 February 2015 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
Alright, going to try to update at least once a month. I'm re-doing this months update, I figure it will be more informative if I post my current point in the Anki deck reconstruction process.

Current Anki Deck

French
SRS - Breathless (Jean-Luc Godard, 1960)

Japanese
2000 Common Words & Phrases 1/3
Book 2 Lessons 1-32
SRS - Ghost in the Shell SAC Episodes 1-3

Mandarin
Book 2 Lessons 1-32

Russian
SRS - A Severe Young Man (Abram Room, 1935)

Right now I'm mainly focused on building back up my Japanese and Mandarin, but I may try to get a little bit of all my previous languages back in, just to keep them ringing in my head. Keeping my daily routine light so reps don't take too much time and if I miss a few days my reviews won't build up too badly.

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version