19 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
Tyrion101
United States
Joined 3673 days ago

153 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: French

Message 17 of 19
02 September 2014 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
I'm not very good at picking out everything someone says at the blistering conversational speed they tend to use on the radio, the podcast idea seems good, as I can repeat multiple times, and train my ear to hear things.
1 person has voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4819 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 18 of 19
02 September 2014 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
Dubbed movies are really great (much easier to understand than movies originally in the target language).
Podcasts are better than broadcast radio because you can find one that matches your level. It helps to choose a
topic you already know a lot about.
Audiobooks are spoken clearly but often the content is too hard; look for children's books or books you've already
read.
If you can find audio files with accompanying transcription, that's the best of all. Listen once, then listen and read
along, then look up words until you understand (almost) everything, then listen again. If you want to improve your
listening, make sure to listen once first without reading (although reading-and-listening is good for improving
reading skills in a language that's hard or impossible to sound out).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Tyrion101
United States
Joined 3673 days ago

153 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: French

Message 19 of 19
02 September 2014 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for all the replies, sometimes I feel as though I'm asking too many questions.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version