Diglot
Germany
Joined 5130 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 9 of 29
05 September 2014 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
Principiante wrote:
We are attempting to work alongside a local community center to develop a TESOL (Teaching  English to Speakers of Other Languages) program for the refugee community, so we're hoping to at least learn a little bit of the more popular languages represented. Thanks again.

If you're a grammar geek, you might find the following DLI book helpful:

A Contrastive Study of English and Arabic

Since it uses transliterated Arabic, it doesn't require any Arabic reading skills. However, it takes some time to get used to the somewhat weird transliteration scheme (ALA-LC + IPA).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Principiante
United States
lucasgentry.com
Joined 6068 days ago

130 posts - 138 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 29
05 September 2014 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:

If you're a grammar geek, you might find the following DLI book helpful:

%20Contrastive%20Study%20of%20English%20and%20Arabic.pdf">A Contrastive Study
of English and Arabic

Since it uses transliterated Arabic, it doesn't require any Arabic reading skills.
However, it takes some time to get used to the somewhat weird transliteration scheme
(ALA-LC + IPA).

1) I am a grammar geek, so thank you.

2) I am conceptually familiar with IPA, but I haven't worked with ALA-LC before. Thank
you for introducing me to this.
1 person has voted this message useful

DaisyMaisy
United States
Joined 5190 days ago

115 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 11 of 29
27 September 2014 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
There is an interesting documentary on a contest held annually in Cairo where Muslims memorize as much as they can from the Koran and then recite it. Many of the contestants (most were children) came from non Arabic speaking countries and spoke not a word of Arabic. There were people from Senegal, the Maldives, Tajikistan, and I forget where else.

It was quite impressive how much the kids had memorized.

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4478 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 12 of 29
27 September 2014 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
Too bad Arabic is such a religion-oriented language, and non-Muslim users of Arabic are treated with suspicion.

fiolmattias
Triglot
Groupie
Sweden
geocities.com/fiolmaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6499 days ago

62 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, Arabic (Written)

Message 13 of 29
27 September 2014 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
....and non-Muslim users of Arabic are treated with suspicion.

By whom?

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4869 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 14 of 29
27 September 2014 at 7:55am | IP Logged 
fiolmattias wrote:
Medulin wrote:
....and non-Muslim users of Arabic are treated with suspicion.

By whom?

By Muslim speakers of Arabic, obviously.

Now as to whether this is true, it is probably so in some circles and not in others. I don't have any personal
experience, but the Arab-speaking world is huge and Arabic isn't even really one language- a blanket statement
like that is unlikely to be either true or false for the entire Arab world.

Plus, there are millions of Christians among the Arabic speakers of Lebanon and Egypt. If they are treated with
suspicion it certainly has little to do with them speaking Arabic.

As an Arabic-speaking Croatian, Medulin could probably pretend to be a Bosnian Muslim if necessary... though
this might be out of the question as a matter of principle, I don't know.

However, this thread is about the degree to which Muslims speak Arabic, not what Arabs think of non-Muslim
foreigners.

So when non-Arabophone Muslims read the Koran, how do they do it? Do they use translations? Do they have a
teacher explain to them the meaning, line by line? For the parts they haven't memorized, how do they go back
and reference a section?

Edited by robarb on 27 September 2014 at 8:21am

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5130 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 15 of 29
27 September 2014 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:
So when non-Arabophone Muslims read the Koran, how do they do it? Do they use translations?

AFAIK, many of them use special Qur'an editions that contain the Arabic text, translations into their native languages and pronunciation guides. There doesn't seem to be a universally accepted English translation and translating the Qur'an isn't a trivial matter either. For more information, see this article.

robarb wrote:
Do they have a teacher explain to them the meaning, line by line? For the parts they haven't memorized, how do they go back
and reference a section?

AFAIK, this depends on the region and the teacher, Muslims are expected to say at least some commonly used phrases and prayers, for example the first surah, in Arabic and often use Arabic Qur'an terminology even if they don't speak Arabic.
Some non-Arabs even manage to memorize the whole Qur'an phonetically (often without understanding it) and take part in international competitions. For more information see this interesting documentary.
3 persons have voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4869 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 16 of 29
28 September 2014 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
Interesting, I'd heard that they don't like translations, so I wondered how it worked in practice.

Wikipedia says, "According to modern Islamic theology, the Qur'an is a revelation very specifically in Arabic, and
so it should only be recited in the Arabic language. Translations into other languages are necessarily the work of
humans and so, according to Muslims, no longer possess the uniquely sacred character of the Arabic original.
Since these translations necessarily subtly change the meaning, they are often called "interpretations"[2] or
"translation[s] of the meanings" (with "meanings" being ambiguous between the meanings of the various
passages and the multiple possible meanings with which each word taken in isolation can be associated, and with
the latter connotation amounting to an acknowledgement that the so-called translation is but one possible
interpretation and is not claimed to be the full equivalent of the original). For instance, Pickthall called his
translation The Meaning of the Glorious Koran rather than simply The Koran."

So it seems like they do use translations, but (unlike as occurs with translations of the Christian Bible) such
translations are not themselves considered to be the Koran. So you use the translation to read it for meaning, but
for it to function as a sacred text or to be recited it must be in Arabic.

Anybody have personal experience in such a situation?

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version