10 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Fredwc1
United States
Joined 3513 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes
Studies: French, German, Spanish

Message 1 of 10
04 September 2014 at 7:40am | IP Logged 
Is there a German language series similar to French In Action or the Spanish Destinos?
I've already discovered "Extra".
Thanks,
Fred
2 persons have voted this message useful

Glarus Girl
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4334 days ago

50 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Swiss-German

Message 2 of 10
04 September 2014 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
I think the nearest thing to French in Action in German is Fokus Deutsch - you can find
it on YouTube. (Can't get the link to work!) There is also on Deutsche Welle, two
series of a 'soap' called 'Jojo sucht das Glück' with exercises.

Edited by Glarus Girl on 04 September 2014 at 11:16am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 10
04 September 2014 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
Do you want video? For the "awesome narrative" factor, I'd recommend "Deutsch? Warum nicht!", but it's audio (+pdf).

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4859 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 4 of 10
05 September 2014 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
Fokus Deutsch is often cited as the German answer to French in Action, but if that is
the case, it is a very poor one in my opinion. I found it to be very boring and the
fact that the professor is not a native German speaker really turned me off.

Deutsch plus is pretty good. It's a story about a Romanian immigrant in Germany who has
to learn the language while finding a job, home, etc. The characters stop to watch
television from time to time so it's kind of like the points in FIA where they go on
"ommercial break."

My next suggestion was made for children, but I find it to be useful. Anna, Schmidt und
Oskar is a bit like a German Sesame Street but humans are the main characters and
puppets take a back seat. Anna is the young neighbor of Schmidt and Oskar is his dog.

There is also Muzzy which is another kid's show. Since it purposefully introduces you
to each character and has breaks that deviate from the story in order to communicate
important German lessons, it could arguably be the most FIA like of the bunch, but it
is clearly aimed at a young audience.

Finally, I recommend that you try out Deutsch Aktuell, which is not at all current like
the name would suggest. It's basically a teen drama, but the actors speak very basic
German very slowly so it's easy for newbies to follow along. It doesn't have any
comedic or instructional breaks like Deutch Plus or Anna, Schmidt und Oskar, but it's
good stuff if your level is low.

Edited by Darklight1216 on 05 September 2014 at 2:04am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5324 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 5 of 10
05 September 2014 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
I agree Fokus Deutsch missed the trick - it is still useful (I didn't find that Robert
Di Donato got in the way, however) and the rest of the course is very comprehensive.
However, the plot is so dour that you want to kill the characters by the end of episode
3 and go and do something less boring instead. It also at times breaches the rule of
'comprehensible +1' found in French in Action and goes too far for a true beginner.   

I would put my vote in for Deutsch Plus - which is available in its entirety on YouTube
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lk9rS7n-4Q) and is a very good beginners course in
total. The material is generally available at good prices second hand on Amazon etc. if
you want the course book and exercises.

Fredwc1
United States
Joined 3513 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes

Message 6 of 10
06 September 2014 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Danke! I appreciate everyone's input. Fred
1 person has voted this message useful

Fredwc1
United States
Joined 3513 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes

Message 7 of 10
08 September 2014 at 6:12am | IP Logged 
I'm hooked on Deutsch Plus.....

Fredwc1
United States
Joined 3513 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes

Message 8 of 10
18 September 2014 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
When I was young, there was a show on PBS here in the USA called "Guten Tag". Does anyone
know if it's available? I can't seem to find it.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version