United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5035 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 33 of 55
05 September 2014 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
@emk. I don't suppose you could dump out the first 5000 frequent film headwords to a text file for me? I used to have a python script that would take a list like that & generate a csv with translations for ANKI. I sure could use 98% coverage! Sod the 300 word limit. (I know you gave the link to the entire corpus, I'm being lazy)
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5331 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 34 of 55
05 September 2014 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
Here you go.

With a large enough movie collection and a tool like subs2srs, you could really have fun with this: Automatically select snippets of dialog from movies that use vocabulary at each level, align them with English translations, and generate audio cards. You could even start out with cards where all the words were common, and gradually make things harder.
2 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
Joined 5035 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 35 of 55
05 September 2014 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Here you go.

With a large enough movie collection and a tool like subs2srs, you could really have fun with this: Automatically select snippets of dialog from movies that use vocabulary at each level, align them with English translations, and generate audio cards. You could even start out with cards where all the words were common, and gradually make things harder.

YAY! Thanks.

==== Edit Below =====

That was very simple to create basic cards! Google translate accepted the file and did all of them in one fell swoop. subs2srs is a bit of a pain for me, since I don't use Windows. I do have a large collection of French films, but not enough subtitle files. Still ramming 5000 headwords into my tiny brain should help.

One thing I think would be really cool would be to take these 5k words and find someway to get a monolingual dictionary definition for each word. I think reading the definition of the word in French, along with a basic translation in English could really boost the reading level at the same time as you memorise the word & meaning. You'd also get to see the other meanings for the words.

I've done some definitions for Italian words, but it is a very long slow process because I can't find an API or similar for an online dictionary.

Now if I can only find a similar list for Italian! I'm on the hunt for one now.

Edited by rdearman on 05 September 2014 at 11:35pm

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5331 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 36 of 55
06 September 2014 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
One thing I think would be really cool would be to take these 5k words and find someway to get a monolingual dictionary definition for each word. I think reading the definition of the word in French, along with a basic translation in English could really boost the reading level at the same time as you memorise the word & meaning.

Le Wiktionnaire. A large, open source French dictionary. It's basically as good as the general-interest commercial dictionaries I've seen. There are example sentences, and decent coverage of everything from slang to archaic language.

The raw data is open source, and you can download it using an official BitTorrent. It's a bit of a nuisance to parse, though.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5229 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 37 of 55
06 September 2014 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
s_allard wrote:
His position, and I hope I'm getting it right, is that we have to compare a
suggested minimum number of words to a range of sample conversations and see what kind of word coverage
we get. So let's say we take a given 300-word vocabulary and run it past a set of transcriptions of 10 typical A2
conversations and we get a 50% word coverage.

This is basically correct, with a few caveats:

1. The word list doesn't have to be based on frequency dictionaries. It can be carefully tuned for A2 tasks, in
much same way Basic English was tuned.[1]

2. Nobody expects A2 students to perform B1 or C1 tasks. They need to make polite small talk, buy basic living
supplies, order dinner, find the bathroom, give and receive directions, and successfully use subways and trains.
But within this limited problem domain, they should satisfy all the A2 criteria.

3. Students may use pantomime and ask for new vocabulary words.

Personally, I think you could carefully construct a 1,000-word vocabulary that could be creatively used to handle
most of these situations. But most students will need a total vocabulary of at least 1,500–2,000 words if they
want to go out in public and function at an A2 level in most situations. Not all of this vocabulary would need to
be active. I base these numbers on Milton's survey and on my own experience.

s_allard wrote:
To be more specific, let's look at a key component of speaking proficiency: verb usage. The two
conversations I
looked at used 33 and 34 verbs respectively, of which only 8 were shared.

This is the basic limit of using a small conversational corpus: each new conversation you add requires a fair bit of
new vocabulary. Here's what I'd argue:

What you can do with only 300 words
- Have a controlled conversation on a known topic, either with a tutor or in class.
- Switch to a new topic by introducing a few dozen words.
- Learn (and even internalize) a large amount of French grammar.
- Make brief small talk with bilingual neighbors.

What you can't do with only 300 words (or so I claim)
- Perform the full variety of survival tasks which are normally expected of an A2 student.
- Pass a well-designed A2 exam (without the gross academic dishonesty of being given the test in advance).

As I have said before, emk and I keep bumping heads because we approach the question of vocabulary size from
radically opposite perspectives. For me the answer to the question, "What can you do with only 300 words?" is
two-fold. First, for the beginning learner, 300 words allows you to you start using the language meaningfully.
Second, for the advanced speaker, 300 words is enough for spontaneous native-level conversation.

From this point on there seems to be a misunderstanding. emk, it seems to me, wants to see that magic list of
300 all-purpose words that will work for all beginners. I don't believe there is such a thing. I believe that every
individual's "starter" set is customized to reflect the individual's needs. I don't think that a raw beginner after a
few weeks of classes and 300 words will be chatting away at a B2 level.

Although I don't make wild claims about what a beginner can do with only 300 distinct words, I do observe at the
same time that native speakers of French are able to have spontaneous and high-level conversations with few
words. This is what I find fascinating.

I have provided two examples of such conversations with 145 and 224 distinct words respectively. I ask, again,
Are these A2 level conversations? Are these A2-level speakers? They sound like adult native speakers to me.
What are they doing if not conversing with less than 300 words?

Right now I'm looking at a transcription of 4 hours of dialogues between a French police negotiator and a holed-
up suspect. I might do something with the first 15 minutes. Or maybe just look at the verbs. But it might be too
colloquial for our purposes.

So, the question isn't whether 300 words is enough or not. The question is how skilled is the user with them? A
beginner with 300 words will only go so far. A more advanced speaker can do wonders with 300 words.

I try to reconcile the two observations by saying that a good learning strategy is to focus on the core of the
language and to radiate from there. This also means coming back to basics and fundamentals regularly. What you
want to avoid is the "I've been studying French for years and can't speak it" syndrome that happens often when
people look at French like an insurmountable mountain.

What I have always noticed is that good learners of French do not wait to know everything before starting to
speak. What little they know, they start using it. They get excited because they can make themselves understood
right away. I don't think you have to know how to count from one to a thousand to order a bottle of water from
the bar. Sure, the person behind the counter make ask you some really weird question. How big a problem is
that? That's a nice problem to have. That's better than being deathly afraid to use the language because you
haven't studied all the verbs.

1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
Joined 5035 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 38 of 55
06 September 2014 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
You can communicate with 300 words. The entire language of Toki Pona only has 120 words total. But really, who wants to limit themselves to only 300 words of French? Or any natural language for that matter?

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5229 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 39 of 55
06 September 2014 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
You can communicate with 300 words. The entire language of Toki Pona only has 120 words
total. But really, who wants to limit themselves to only 300 words of French? Or any natural language for that
matter?

The post would be laughable if it did not illustrate so clearly why comprehension is such a difficult thing to define.
Nobody, neither emk nor myself, has spoken about limiting oneself to 300 words of French or any language. The
problem, I think, is that people don't follow the discussion and don't know what we are talking about. We are not
talking about learning only 300 words of French.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 40 of 55
06 September 2014 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
You keep on contradicting yourself on what exactly those 300 words are useful for.

This discussion contains 55 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version