Legend
Australia
Joined 5311 days ago

38 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 9 of 27
05 September 2014 at 7:37am | IP Logged 
Thank you very much, people. I really appreciate the time that went into your answers.
This question actually comes from a general interest in language and to a lesser
extent a distant desire to learn Korean, which is why it's kinda general.

Chung wrote:
Syntax is a worthy sub-field of study in linguistics and as a casual
learner trying to link it with morphological typology (e.g. analytic vs. synthetic
(covers polysynthesis and fusion in addition to agglutination)) it may lead you to
getting in over your head.

I do have an interest in syntax and morphology and so on, but that's less out of a
desire to learn fluency in languages and more just a sweeping interest in language.

Chung wrote:
Hungarian syntax can be even tougher to grasp because the only practical
rule is that the sentence's focused element must precede the main verb. Apart from
that there seems to be a certain sequence observed when placing adverbs and prefixes
although I've never been able to find or come up formally with a consistent set of
rules. I usually express myself in Hunarian in ways that "sound right" based on
exposure. In any case, I don't think that the complexity of Hungarian syntax has much
to do with Hungarian being an agglutinative language.

This is absolutely fascinating and I wasn't aware of it before reading. I remember
reading some of the ways Turkish sentences can get completely out of hand and thinking
that kind of agglutination must be a nightmare to grasp, so it's interesting to hear
in the case of Hungarian that in fact the agglutination at least ain't so bad.

Thank you very much. Your entire post was fantastic.

Henkkles wrote:
Mutil txikia da
boy small-(end) is
(He) is a small boy.

Mutila txikia da
boy-(end) small-(end) is
The boy is small.

As all complements come after the head word, you just have to wait for the ender -a
(or a demonstrative pronoun) to 'wrap up' the noun phrase.

This is a wonderful help and a great example. Thank you. Can I ask, as a Finnish
speaker how did you find English to learn? Do you think learning English with a
Finnish mothertongue is comparable to learning agglutinative languages like Finnish
with an analytical tongue like English?

hrhenry wrote:
Although, don't get me wrong - long sentences can still be a nightmare,
but at least you know you can work your way through it due to its regularity, and
really, you'll only run into such nightmares in literature.

That was probably the biggest impetus to this thread, actually. Turkish looked really
bloody scary!

kanewai wrote:
Someone - was it Chung? - wrote on here that Turkish was an 'easy
language that takes a long time to learn.'   And the only way I know to learn it is to
1) learn the basic rules (my recommendation: Teach Yourself Turkish), and then
2) drill baby drill (my recommendation: FSI Basic).

[...]

IN terms of 'how you transition,' I'm with others in that I don't fully understand the
question.

You pretty much got there on your own in the first part. I was interested in finding
out if there was any extra groundwork for learning agglutinative languages because it
seems like the biggest leap for an English speaker in terms of the bridging the
morphology gap.

Edited by Legend on 05 September 2014 at 7:39am

1 person has voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4035 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 10 of 27
05 September 2014 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
Legend wrote:

Henkkles wrote:
Mutil txikia da
boy small-(end) is
(He) is a small boy.

Mutila txikia da
boy-(end) small-(end) is
The boy is small.

As all complements come after the head word, you just have to wait for the ender -a
(or a demonstrative pronoun) to 'wrap up' the noun phrase.

This is a wonderful help and a great example. Thank you. Can I ask, as a Finnish
speaker how did you find English to learn? Do you think learning English with a
Finnish mothertongue is comparable to learning agglutinative languages like Finnish
with an analytical tongue like English?

Well syntax wise English and Swedish were kind of annoying for me to learn because of the mandatory order of elements (in Swedish even moreso) that we were made to memorize mnemonics like this:

SPOTPA - subjekti, predikaatti, objekti, tapa, paikka, aika
(subject, predicate, object, manner, place, time)

even though in English the 'time' element can precede all others.

An example:
John ate ice cream ravenously in his home yesterday.
Yesterday John ate ice cream ravenously in his home.

basically in Finnish we don't use such rigid structures (although we have well-defined
standards') because no matter which order you put the words of the sentence in, it will mean the same for all elements are 'colored' the appropriate color with the case-markers. Let's examine the translation:

John söi jäätelöä ahnaasti kotonaan eilen.
John ate ice cream-partitive ravenously home-locative-3rd-person-possessive yesterday.

I can see this sounding perfectly normal in these forms:
John söi eilen ahnaasti jäätelöä kotonaan.
John ate yesterday ravenously ice cream in his home.

Eilen John söi kotonaan ahnaasti jäätelöä.
Yesterday John ate in his home ravenously ice cream.

any and all other forms are possible as well but they sound odd unless meant to be poetic.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Legend
Australia
Joined 5311 days ago

38 posts - 41 votes
Studies: Italian

Message 11 of 27
05 September 2014 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
That's great. I'll quiz my Swedish friend on his experiences too.
1 person has voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4841 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 12 of 27
06 September 2014 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
In some ways aggultinative languages can be easier. Because the grammatical morphemes retain their form when
agglutinated, such languages tend to have fewer irregular elements than do languages with fusional morphology,
and also fewer conjugation/declension types. For example, to put a Latin noun in the accusative case, you modify
it in different ways depending on its gender, number, which declension it follows, and whether it's irregular:
aqua->aquam, aquae->aquas, puer->puerum, animal->animal. In contrast, in Korean you basically just add 을
(eul).

Sort of independently of it being an agglutinative language, but because it came up: it can be tricky when a
language uses a different word order. Even with English-like languages such as Dutch and German, I often make
errors where I put the verb and its object in the English word order instead of SOV when necessary. However,
Korean SOV word order is rather strict, more so than the SOV Germanic languages where it's complicated by the
V2 phenomenon. As a result, most Korean sentences end in verb inflections. It seems like every other sentence
ends in -yo or -mnida. These markers are ubiquitous and always occur at the end of sentences. It's unlikely that
you would mix up the word order and say 'cho ieyo miguksaram' [I am American] for 'cho miguksaram-ieyo' [I
American-am] because -ieyo always comes last and sounds weird anywhere else even to my novice Korean ears.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 13 of 27
06 September 2014 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
Georgian has polypersonal verbs, but it helped to think of them as the direct/indirect
object attachments in Spanish and Portuguese (the latter even has mesoclisis):

დამირეკე! Llámame!

მი is indirect object, subject marking is zero

თხარი = [Eu] Disse-lho

ვ is subject, უ is indirect object and direct object marking is zero

As for getting used to the syntax, the word order posed more problems than the
agglutinative aspect. I have been studying German, Georgian and Estonian, all of the
three with an 'unusual' word order, and even if they don't match all the time, they're
still much more similar among themselves than compared to English. It was evident that
I became used to Estonian syntax much faster thanks to my previous experience with
German and Georgian.

Both Georgian and Estonian have postpositions, and I learned to get used to them
fairly easily, they actually seem quite logical and it is what is fascinating about
those languages. I prefer Georgian's system that is simpler and thus seems more
logical. Case morphology is simple and you can think of postpositional clitics on
their own, not worring about what goes with which case. Also, the actual endings are
strikingly different, unlike in Estonian, where you get-l , -st, -t, -st, -le and it
becomes a mess. In Georgian, it's -dan for coming from, -'ken for going towards, -shi
for inside, -ze for over, -tvis for for, so there's no way to mix them up!

I agree with Henkkles that you learn to hear or read the case ending and when the case
ending also has a postposition glued to that you immediately think of the word as a
"non-term" (not a subject or an object, just an adverbial adjunct of time, manner
etc.). You just get used to directing your attention towards the end of the word, but
I also do that in languages with high verbal inflection too, for instance.

As for compound words, a feature of all three languages again, it helps to become
aware of the language's phonology and thus realize when each part of the compound
'ends' and the next one is a new word. German is more consistent about that but in
Georgian you can have a clue, too. Not enough experience with Estonian yet. As your
vocabulary enlarges, you can spot where each part of the compound ends more easily.

Georgian verbal morphology is even more complex than the nominal one in Georgian
itself or in Estonian, but it helps when each 'slot' is explained for its role - you
have pre-root attachments and post-root attachments, i.e. preffixes and suffixes. You
learn which stands for what and when it's zero you assume it's the one with the zero
ending and you go towards the end of the form for other info on person, number, tense
etc. It becomes automatic with time at least to understand, especially when you do
bilingual reading and thus quickly associate that form with the meaning it conveys;
producing requires a lot of drilling.

To sum it up, word order is the main issue; the postpositions and other clitics become
intuitive because that's what they are indeed, they convey a whole idea with smaller
particles and you sort of learn that 'idea' as a whole.
4 persons have voted this message useful

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6154 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 

Message 14 of 27
30 September 2014 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
It's not actually that bad. It's nothing spooky. It's not even that different.

It's like words have become stuck on other words. All languages have sounds which cary meaning. That's it. You can think of all the endings as being 'words' in a way.

If I say 'As for me, the cup-as-an-object-of-the-action table-on did put.'

I'm saying, the topic is me, I. The object is the cup. It was on the table in terms of whatever I did. And what I did was the verb at the end.

I put the cup on the table.

That's all that's really happening. The endings hold meaning like words. Unlike words, their actual pronunciation can change, but not always in every language. Why is it harder to understand 'on the table' than 'table-on'. The meaning of 'on' just comes after instead of before. Stand back! It's getting crazy in here.

In English, when you say 'I' your mind instantly knows that's the subject we are talking about. In Japanese, the same thing, only you say 'ga' afterwards which basically means 'the thing that came before is the subject of this sentence'.

If you parse it out like that, it's real easy to understand. Just focus on what the endings, or suffixes or whatever actually mean.

Why is that extremely hard to get?

Edited by zerothinking on 30 September 2014 at 10:39am

3 persons have voted this message useful

jtdotto
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5011 days ago

73 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, German

Message 15 of 27
08 October 2014 at 6:33am | IP Logged 
From a Korean language learner's experience here...

I used to get hung up on the word order of Korean, probably when I was A2 and creeping into B1. I was
bummed that my Japanese American friend could pick up Korean so much faster because his brain
already had SOV with suffix particles wired in. But I just kept at it.

I liked the color metaphor someone used here. With Korean, when I hear 이/가 it almost is like just
seeing a giant primary color. Blue for the subject. Whenever you see blue, you know that's the "doer" of
the sentence. When I hear 을/를 it's like yellow, and I know that's has something being done to it. 은/는
has more of a green, in the sense that it's a bit more complex, and is either indicating the speaker is
going on about a known topic, or is trying to point and compare something with another something.

The great thing is, once you can train yourself to hear these, they really act as guide rails for listening
to anything and everything. Even if you're not picking up all the vocab, you're hearing the 이/가s, the
을/를s and you know the verb is coming at the end, so you can at least follow the syntax of the speaker
and hopefully make heads or tails of the context. Even Koreans have a saying that you can kind of nod
off when listening to somebody talk, as long as you pick up the end, because that's the important
stuff. That's where the verb is.

There are tons of particles for nouns, the ones above plus 한테/에게/으로/으로/까지/부터/에/에서/조차
etc.. probably somewhere in the hundreds to be honest. A good grammar book will teach them
logically and with a thoroughly, but I would say a good 20-25 of them are just absolutely necessary to
know to really begin conversing beyond introductions.

As far as verbs/adjectives go, there are like some 600 endings you can attach, that range from
standard logical connectors to shades of emotion and nuance of expression. Again, there's probably
75-100 that are a must to know, and everything after only helps with expression, but will be less
common in speech and more common in literature.

I have to say, after 6 years of studying Korean, I no longer feel envy for my Japanese American friend. I
can say I've successfully rewired my brain to think with particles and in SOV, to the point that it's
almost like breathing - I don't realize I'm doing it until I think about the fact that I'm doing it. That
being said, if I switch into thinking in English and then try to express in Korean what I'm thinking in
English, things slow down.

So my biggest advice is practice thinking in your agglutinative language. This will speed up the
processing time and get you more comfortable with speaking.

I agree though, I still find it fascinating how the thought process is so different from an English
speaker's thought process.

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7003 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 16 of 27
21 March 2015 at 9:00am | IP Logged 
jtdotto wrote:

So my biggest advice is practice thinking in your agglutinative language. This will speed
up the
processing time and get you more comfortable with speaking.

I agree though, I still find it fascinating how the thought process is so different from
an English
speaker's thought process.

I thought the same when it was about this specific feature. This is why I am curious if
there are other members, who speak more than one agglutinative language, but from a
different language family. If it was easier for them. I thought Esperanto would help with
this, and I still do for the process not to feel so foreign. I did write to another member
Fasulye about Esperanto and Turkish being agglutinative, but her reply was something like,
she did not really notice Esperanto making Turkish easier. She thought Latin actually
helped her more, than Esperanto in learning Turkish.

One thing I have encountered are some Filipinos who thought Japanese was not that
difficult. I am speculating, about both languages being agglutinative, and that is why it
was not overly difficult, but I think exposure had more to do with it, than anything else.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version