Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3867 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 1 of 3
05 September 2014 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
How well do English comedy shows like "Scrubs" or "That 70s show" translate to German?
I am considering buying the box sets.
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4629 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 2 of 3
05 September 2014 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
I can't speak for these two shows, but generally speaking German dubbing is pretty good. There will always be puns or cultural references that can't be translated adequately, but most of the time it works.

You must get used to different voices though, which won't always match very well with the original voice of the actor. If you don't mind that, I see no reason why you shouldn't watch dubbed shows.

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4154 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 3 of 3
09 September 2014 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
Those two I never watched full episodes in German, so I can't comment. I did however, watch the full series of "Roseanne" and I thought it was really good. So good in fact that the voiceover actors really added different personalities into the characters. It's very strange for me to watch that show in English now.

I watched a few episodes of The Big Bang Theory though and I didn't think it was as good. Part of this may have been because a lot of the jokes are very "language dominant" and there are a lot of metaphors and puns which just don't translate well. I would consider that to be an exception though. On the whole, German dubbing is pretty good.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version