Netherlands
Joined 3847 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 1 of 7
05 September 2014 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone,
   I just started to study Castillan Spanish with Assimil "Lo spagnolo senza sforzo".
Since I'm Italian I have already a quite good passive comprehension so going through the
Assimil lessons is completely effortless, meaning that I don't have to work so hard like
I'm doing with Dutch. I can therefore skip beginner methods and grammars.

I would like, instead, insights about intermediate to advanced grammars, that I will use
when I will have finish with Lo spagnolo senza sforzo or even after the advanced course
(that I heard it's full of bad translation but should not affect my studies at all).

Thank you very much in advance!
   Tristano
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7005 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 2 of 7
05 September 2014 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
If you want to make your spoken Spanish grammar unbeatable, try
http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Spanish%20B asic.

Edited by luke on 05 September 2014 at 12:29pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3847 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 3 of 7
05 September 2014 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
Hi Luke, thanks for your advice.
   I have only a couple of perplexities about the fsi course, that I know being really
high quality:
- it is targeted to English speakers
- it's just a supposition but I fear that focuses more on south american Spanish

I would prefer the method to be written and monolingual or in Italian, so I can avoid
expalanations about things that work differently in English but are so straightforward
because they just work like in Italian.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4809 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 4 of 7
05 September 2014 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
Some of the monolingual grammars might be perfect for you. The Gramática series by Anaya ele en goes up to B2 and it is excellent. Gramática des uso del espanol is great as well(or even better) and leads to the C levels.
2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5062 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 5 of 7
05 September 2014 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
I agree wholeheartedly with Cavesa- Gamática de Uso del Español B1-B2 to start, followed by the C1 book.

Another excellent monolingual Spanish resource for learners is the Centro Virtual Cervantes Aveteca multimedia exercises. They include B1, B2 and C1 exercices to help consolidate grammar and usage.

Those who are just starting out in Spanish should also try the A1 and A2 exercises in addition to whatever course they may be using. Scroll down towards the bottom. The exercises are best viewed in a separate tab and increased in size by pressing "ctrl and +" simultaneously until the desired size is reached.

Edited by iguanamon on 11 September 2014 at 8:53pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4090 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 6 of 7
05 September 2014 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
I also agree with respect to the Gramática de Uso books. I only have the C1-C2 book,
and to me, (and if I remember correctly, to Crush as well) it appeared a bit easier
than expected. We are probably both in the C level somewhere, and quite a lot of those
things look familiar, with some new concepts that I perhaps may or may not have
seen but would need further investigation. So perhaps you can use the B1-B2 book
earlier, at A2 and see if it is plausible at that level for you, and probably right
after Lo spagnolo senza sforzo.

This is Gramática de Uso C1-
C2
with índice shown. Maybe you can try this right after finishing B2.
There is also Gramática para la Composición.
This is probably more for writing, but seems quite useful--I plan to order myself a
copy too.

Finally, a grammar manual. Although it is Anglophone, the manaul
A New Reference Grammar of Modern
Spanish
is one of the best grammar books that I have read. It often enters
extreme detail and discussion of minutiæ that is helpful rather than impedent.

A completely hispanophone publication is by the RAE herself:
Manual: Nueva Gramática de la Lengua Española.
It is a massive tome, around 1000 pages, with font the size of this forum post. Also
extremely detailed, and around 50 lines it must be per page. I once read this thing
like a novel, and it took me quite a long time to finish, but you cannot but improve
your grammar from reading it. I believe that there is also an elongated version, with
two tomes, which must be combined at greater than 1500 pages. In this manner, I would
not worry about being influenced by Latin American Spanish--I never used the FSI Basic
thoroughly, but I heard some of the audios, and there is an obvious emphasis on Latin
American Spanish (the accents sound mostly Mexican and Central American particularly),   
and I am unsure how often they used vosotros. It also has a large quantity of English.

With RAE, obviously they must cover the entire Hispanophone world, but being centred
in Madrid, the capital of the Hispanphone world, the emphasis is more on Peninsular
Spanish.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 05 September 2014 at 8:43pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3847 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 7 of 7
06 September 2014 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
Guys,
thanks a million!
I'll be repetitive, but you guys have really a very good answers for every question.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version