Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5120 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 17 of 58
09 September 2014 at 7:51am | IP Logged 
As for the quality I am with Tarvos on this one. I have been fortunate enough to know personally and have as
guest in my home two of the YouTube polyglots, Richard Simcott and Luca Lampariello, and I can assure
you that they are the real deal, and knowing them is a very humbling experience. They are extremely good.

I can however not answer for the others that I do not know, but I would imagine that there are some really
good ones and some really bad ones among them.

And I suppose you can say that it was a fad in the sense that it seemed to be a lot more popular a few years
ago, but I would not be surprised if we saw new waves later on.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 09 September 2014 at 11:02am

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4493 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 18 of 58
09 September 2014 at 7:53am | IP Logged 
Richard Simmons? Surely you mean Simcott?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4039 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish

Message 19 of 58
09 September 2014 at 8:33am | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:
Henkkles wrote:
I don't really think it was a fad, but that the 'scene' is a small one and thus can only support
a limited amount of 'pioneers' before exhausting the combined interest of aficionados.

Let's examine something like video games; let's say that there are a hundred million video gamers. Then let's say
that there are ten thousand autodidactic language learners. This would mean that the video gaming 'scene' could
sustain ten thousand times the amount of active youtube channels before hitting a 'critical mass' where there is
more material on youtube than people interested in watching.

It depends on how you count the potential target audience. There might be only on the order of ten thousand
people (0.0001% of world population) who recognize themselves as being part of the online autodidactic
language learning community. But there is a much more significant chunk of people who are interested in
improving their skills in a foreign language outside of taking classes. Even those in a class may be interested in
what the autodidacts have to say. If this is even 2% of the world population, we'd be talking over a hundred
million people.

My point was of course that the polyglot videos are first off not that easily found by the people who don't consider themselves a part of the community and secondly the videos don't even necessarily cater to them in obvious ways at least.

Besides, I meant amount of youtubers, not amount of people in the world. And a channel for youtube-(wannabe)-polyglots is an entirely different niche than a channel for people who want to get better at languages is, so we're effectively comparing apples and oranges. Surely it is true that if the channels profiled themselves more into the direction of general language learning and had good content they'd most certainly have access to bigger audiences.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6489 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 58
09 September 2014 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
I'm one of those retired youtubers. I was asked to make some videos about my language learning methods, and I did. In English. Then I looked at those videos where people said a few sentences in a number of languages and decided that each language should have its own video - and then I produced a series of videos with one language in the first half and after that a summary in English. I also made a few truly multilingual videos, like one where I spoke about my first Interrail tour in the languages of the countries I passed through. I followed this concept up with the first few of a planned series about my surrealistic paintings in languages that were relevant to each painting, interspersed with summaries in English. But very few people watched the first couple of videos, maybe because those who are interested in languages aren't interested in paintings, maybe because I should have added running subtitles instead of interspersed summaries, probably both ... so I just became disgusted with the whole video making process, and since then I have only made one video - to boot using a new PC where the sound became too low for comfort. Apart from that I'm represented on Youtube with an interview made by Chris Broholm and (soon) my talk from Berlin 2014. But I'm not terribly keen on making more videos. Looking at talking heads is in itself a poor way of using a visual medium, and for learning purposes I prefer written materials rather than something sequential where you have to watch a talking head for ten minutes to get the information a graphical representation with written comments could have given you in thirty seconds.

Edited by Iversen on 09 September 2014 at 9:58am

7 persons have voted this message useful

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3642 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 21 of 58
09 September 2014 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I followed this concept up with the first few of a planned series about my
surrealistic paintings in languages that were relevant to each painting, interspersed
with summaries in English.

For the record, I watched a few of those videos, and really enjoyed them. I tend to stay
away from youtube for anything more than music, as any useful activity there can turn
into procrastination very quickly, but your videos were very interesting to me.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5120 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian

Message 22 of 58
09 September 2014 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
@Tarvos: of course. Answering something before you are properly awake in the morning is a really bad
idea...
2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5710 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 23 of 58
09 September 2014 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
I don't think polyglot videos were a fad. I think that some of the YouTube polyglots use videos as a way to document all their language learning thoughts and activities, and others don't make many videos because they may not have as much to say or may not have time to make a lot of videos.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6991 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 24 of 58
09 September 2014 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
Elenia wrote:
Iversen wrote:
I followed this concept up with the first few of a planned series about my
surrealistic paintings in languages that were relevant to each painting, interspersed
with summaries in English.

For the record, I watched a few of those videos, and really enjoyed them. I tend to stay
away from youtube for anything more than music, as any useful activity there can turn
into procrastination very quickly, but your videos were very interesting to me.

Me too. I shouldn't have been surprised by the level of talent displayed in
Iversen's surrealistic paintings, but I was.

Edited by luke on 09 September 2014 at 12:41pm

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version