Triglot
Canada
Joined 5216 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 57 of 58
23 October 2014 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
I don't think that we can speak of a fad as such. I like to think that the period of talking heads in various languages
was part of the Zeitgeist. For some people it was the cool thing to do. I never really understood the interest of
listening to a person just speaking a number of languages - usually with many mistakes if I can judge by the
French. I'm more interested in what the person has to say. And if I want to hear good language, I prefer by far to
listen to native speakers.

Some polyglots have transformed themselves into language entrepreneurs and are making a living from teaching
language learning techniques. So, in these cases I can see how multilingualism and polyglottery are part of their
professional image. I can also see making videos to give advice until they run out of things to say. Other than that, I
don't see the point of listening to people speak in foreign languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4788 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 
Speaks: German*, Italian, Spanish, French, English, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Croatian, Mandarin, Russian, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 58 of 58
04 November 2014 at 11:15am | IP Logged 
I had a youtube channel myself and it helped me get into contact with other language enthusiasts. The first polyglot videos I watched were those of Moses and of Felix (probably better known as loki on youtube). Many others followed and all of them were helpful to me in some way.

The best thing about those videos was the enthusiasm of the people making them. Personally, I have not fundamentally changed my own way of learning languages based on those videos but I added a few new ideas here and there.

I also very much enjoyed the polyglot conferences / gatherings.

It is not surprising to me that most youtube polyglots stopped making videos. Life changes and so do a lot of circumstances which play a role in how we make use of the time we are given.

Besides, a lot has been said already, much of which I have found to be very motivating for my own learning process. I doubt there is much left to add which could go beyond a casual and amicable chat.

It was more that sense of being part of a community which attracted me and which I still find very appealing when thinking of the polyglot community the way I have come to know it at several meetings.

As much as I enjoyed those videos in the past, I have sort of gone back to the "roots" now: reading a lot, actually meeting people with whom I can talk in person and spreading that love for languages amongst my nephews and nieces :-)

I will try to attend some more polyglot meetings in future. Not because I think there is some hidden wisdom to be disclosed to a greater public, but simply because I enjoy being around nice and open-minded people who share at least one of my passions.

So, in a nutshell, polyglottery on youtube was good while it lasted - at least for me. I will remember those times fondly while trying to keep the contacts alive I have managed to establish.

As for Timothy, I met him in New York and talked to him several times on skype. On all occasions he struck me as a very friendly and intelligent person. A young man whose desire to learn and whose passion for languages have never failed to impress me. There was not a single moment when I thought he was showing off.
4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version