Groupie
FinlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3854 days ago

53 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 1 of 15
08 September 2014 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
Okay, well I've been having a very hard time since having to move back to the UK after a series of unfortunate events involving my now ex fiancé. I've always had a thirst for languages but never the commitment (nor the environment, really) to really propel myself.
I'm currently on and off with a few languages which follow; Finnish, Swedish, Polish and I'm possibly going to study German through the open university - if you have done so or know someone who has I'd love to hear about it - but I've yet to start learning as of yet, just readying materials.

Finnish and Swedish are probably tied for my affection, with my knowledge of Finnish exceeding that of my Swedish.

I have a tendency to ramble, I'll stop now. Despite the above about the various languages that intrigue me, this will almost be entirely for my Swedish.

Nu jag studerar svenska till tre veckor. Jag har en vänner från sverige att jag skriver med och hon förstor mig väll. Jag lär med Pimsleur och min bok heter "nya mål 1", jag använde detta bok när jag bor i Finland och tycka om mycket. Jag använder också memrise ibland.
Min svenska är dålig men jag vill öva mitt skrivande så jag är ledsen för de misstag. Jag hoppas att jag bli batter snärt.

I thought I may as well try, and will continue to do so. Apologies for offending your eyes when you read my attempts. I will try and update this regularly with any progress and will also try and write random stuff in Swedish.

Tack för läsning! Hey då!
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6400 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 15
08 September 2014 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
Good luck!
I recently went to Akateeminen kirjakauppa specifically in search of Swedish materials. I wasn't impressed with all the coursebooks, tbh, so I ended up getting two children's books. And later I came back to get "urbaani sanakirja", which gives the etymology for many slang words. Maybe I should've got a regular etymological dictionary too...

Chris13
Groupie
Joined 3854 days ago

53 posts - 64 votes 

Message 3 of 15
11 September 2014 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
Paljon kiitoksia! Toivon kirjat ole hyödyllinen sinulle. Minulla on kirja nimi "Tyrre Den Förskräcklige" se on tosi hyvä. Luen usein...ehkä liian usein. Nuori lapset kirja muuten mutta se on hauska. (Vahan surullinen)
Sinun urbaani sanakirja kuulostaa mahtava, en tiedä, ehkä ostan myös jos löytä halpa.

So, I finished Pimsleur Swedish yesterday but as it is relatively easy to fit in during the day and I didn't become overly tired of listening to it, I decided to just go through it again but without limiting it to one or two a day this time.
I also watered a fair amount of words on memrise as well as watching an episode of the bridge (without subs) which I can sometimes understand quite well. I used to watch a lot of Swedish shows on TV when I lived in Finland, so perhaps that helps a little.

I also bought a new webcam/mic so that I can hopefully find a Swedish teacher on Italki, though so far I'm only sorted for Polish, which is great, don't get me wrong, but Swedish would be quite handy at this current time.

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3659 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 4 of 15
11 September 2014 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with your languages! I'm thinking of adding both Finnish and Polish to my
languages sometime in the future, but German and French are currently my two side-show
languages. I'll be following your log :)

Chris13
Groupie
Joined 3854 days ago

53 posts - 64 votes 

Message 5 of 15
12 September 2014 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
I decided to start reading "Niklas Krog - Trilogin om frihetskrigen del 1", I don't understand that much but I figured it's something I should do. I've had these a long time now and never got around to attempting them. I'm hoping that I'll have my Jack Sparrow revelation with these. I used to take out a heap load of Swedish and Finnish books from the library when living in the country as no limit was in place on how many you could withdraw. I stumbled across the Jack Sparrow collection and despite not understanding anything at first, with perseverance I could almost understand everything, even when being quizzed about the plot of the books.
I've been desperately trying to buy these as they are obviously a good starter for Swedish, but I can only find them in Danish online.

@Elenia, thanks a lot for the luck. It's great to hear that both Finnish and Polish are prospective languages for you. I wish you all the best for when you commence your studies on them both. I'll be sure to follow your log :)

I'm not sure if it would be of any use to you but I discovered that the Fun Easy Learn app enables you to choose a multitude of languages as your native. I've been learning a lot of Swedish vocab with my native being set to Finnish. I get to refresh Finnish and learn Swedish at the same time. It's pretty cool.

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3659 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 6 of 15
13 September 2014 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
Is it an android app? I did a search but couldn't find it, although I found a host of
other vocabulary studying apps, so that's nice!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4510 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 7 of 15
13 September 2014 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
Jag kan rekommendera att man börjar med att läsa lättare materialer först. Jag har lärt
mig hälften av språket genom deckare först, och sen kam jag till mer utvecklad och
komplicerad material. Det går att snoka runt och titta på vad du kan förstå med en gång
och vad kommer att ta tid. Det är ingen synd att lägga bort det du inte direkt förstår.

Det finns en del svenska lärare på iTalki. Jag kan rekommendera Anna, men jag vet inte om
hon har så mycket tid nu för dagen. Det finns några utlänningar till, och det har funkat
för mig, men kanske du vill ha en infödd talare. Då ska du titta runt lite.

Edited by tarvos on 13 September 2014 at 12:50pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Chris13
Groupie
Joined 3854 days ago

53 posts - 64 votes 

Message 8 of 15
16 September 2014 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
Not too much to update really. I went to the first lesson from the Finn guild school in my city for this term. We basically have a Finnish native that lives in the city, a handful of students, huge age gap between us, asking various questions. We don't have a set lesson as such, and it's also every other week - on Sunday. However after some discussion it looks as if we are going to have a more dedicated lesson from now after all giving input on what we feel we'd most benefit from. I get conversational practise so I'm uber happy. Before we were mostly doing stuff like telling the time, the weather, etc. Which I already knew, it was more of a social thing for me but now I know I'll be progressing so that's great.

I was very surprised to receive a reply to my Gumtree advertisement. I had posted weeks ago asking if there are any native speakers of Finnish, Swedish, Polish or Russian in the area. I knew the latter two was true, just had to have a means of contacting them. With the first two, it's trickier as I know there must be a fair few Finnish speakers in the area as there's a Finn guild class and there's at least ten - not including their children - but they don't seem keen on teaching, unfortunately. However, I've never heard back from a Swedish native in my city, until a few days ago. I was hesitant with my reply asking if they were local as I sometimes got replies from people 6-7 hours away. It turns out she is a 20 minute bus journey away from me, so although it'll be more expensive than a Skype lesson I feel it might be more beneficial long term. So I'll be having an hour private tuition Monday and Thursday commencing this Thursday. I'm excited :)

@Elenia: It's an adroid app, I think I just searched "Fun Easy Learn" I didn't put the language I was searching for as it didn't show them for some reason if I did. The other one I really like as it gives sentences as well is "Fabulo" They generally have 6000 words to learn and also include sentences.

@Tavros: Tack! Jag kan vänta lite längre till jag att läser Niklas Krog. Jag tror att jag kommer att vara upptagen med mina lektioner nu, så kommer inte ha mycket tid för den boken ändå. Tack för rådet.

Edited by Chris13 on 16 September 2014 at 4:40pm

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version