United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3659 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 9 of 15
17 September 2014 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
Fabulo is available for me, so thank you! I will test it out :)

Good luck with your Swedish lessons! I'm still far too nervous to even contemplate
looking for local Swedish tutors, or even iTalki tutors.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chris13
Groupie
FinlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3854 days ago

53 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 10 of 15
19 September 2014 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
I've had my usual occurrence of bad luck strike me, apparently my current level wasn't quite bad enough. So yeah, passed out, had my fall cushioned by my pile of 20 kg weights, gashed my head open and had a concussion. I've not been doing as much as I'd have liked.

Yesterday I decided to try and go intensive and push myself a little harder. I'm attempting to learn a minimum of 25 words per day for two weeks, as well as watch at least one Disney movie purely in Swedish. Unfortunately I don't have subtitles for them, so it really is just Swedish language but I know them all by heart anyway.
So far I'm on target, I caught up on all of my watering and proceeded to learn the new vocabulary I've been lacking both yesterday and today. My hardest decisions at the moment are which movie to watch, I have too many favourites.

Also done a little bit of reading now and then as well as some exercises from my textbook. I'm hoping to practise writing more often, so I sometimes find myself writing out example sentences from the mobile app. I'd like to start writing small things about my day but can't quite find the motivation at the moment.

Oh, I forgot to mention, along with the bad luck I mentioned previously, my tutor had to cancel for some unknown reason.

Jag såg att det har börjat snöa i delar av Sverige och Finland, det gör mig miss Finland mer än jag brukar göra (som redan var en hel del).

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3659 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 

Message 11 of 15
21 September 2014 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
That is quite bad luck. I hope you're feeling better, and that there aren't any more
obstacles to your studies :)

Chris13
Groupie
FinlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3854 days ago

53 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 12 of 15
27 September 2014 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
Tack Elenia :)

I didn't even realise it has almost been a week since my last entry. I have still been studying, though to be perfectly honest, the last two days have been a little troublesome. Still, back on track now after catching up on those two days, especially happen that I've caught up on Memrise.
My username on there is WalkingAlone if anyone ever wishes to give me a hypothetical kick up the bum any week where I don't come close to at least 100k points.

I've still been watching my collection of Disney movies each night, though not in any particular order. I guess that is my nature: sporadic.

I do sometimes struggle to fit both Finnish and Swedish in which isn't helped by the vast gulf in proficiency I have in both. Sometimes I don't feel like doing anything too tricky which usually means I just leave the language I'm more proficient in out.

Yesterday an old friend decided it'd be nice to have a Skype conversation, which, let's face it, it always is. My dilemma being that she instantly opened with a speedy Polish conversation only to further my realisation that my Polish has slipped dramatically and if I don't step in soon it will be beyond saving. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Oh, I almost forget to mention possibly my biggest achievement as of late. That being, although I've have not had much luck finding a tutor on Italki (Though I might be taking a recommendation from Tavros - if not, a few other people are in discussion with me regarding the matter.) I have found benefit in writing there and having my work corrected which is surprising as I had good intentions with that other site Lang8 or something, and found it incredibly difficult to get my work corrected yet here all three of my pieces have been corrected within 8 hours. Given that I write before bed, eight hours is perfect.
To my surprise I made minimal mistakes in both Finnish and Swedish. I have a good vocab in Finnish but I don't usually write so my grammar is nowhere near as good as I'd like but I didn't make many errors given the size of the work I submitted. In Swedish my work was nowhere near as long but I also made very few errors and those that I did make were very minor and did not impact on the understanding of my piece.

Back to memrise for a bit before I venture out for a nice bike ride and some more Pimsleur simultaneously.

@Elenia, I don't suppose I could pester you for a link to the site you may or may not use for Buffy, could I?

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3659 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 

Message 13 of 15
28 September 2014 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
Good to hear you're still chugging along! I think I may also have to take up the watching
of Disney films. Of course, this will be purely for language improvement purposes!

It's definitely against forum rules to link you to the site here, sorry! I've sent you a
message, however.

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3659 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 

Message 14 of 15
20 October 2014 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
Hej!

My turn to give you a friendly nudge now :) how are the languages doing? hope you're
still moving forward and making progress and watching extremely healthy amounts of Disney
films!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3659 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 

Message 15 of 15
21 November 2014 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
How are you doing? We've both been more than a bit absent on the forum, but hope you're
still plugging away and making excellent progress :)

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version