22 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 17 of 22
11 September 2014 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
Yes, Romanian is a great bridge towards the Slavic languages :) It's also an introduction to the Balkan Sprachbund.
The Slavic project seems like a nice idea, especially as you have such a hard time choosing between them. However, in this case you'd probably have no room for non-Slavic new languages for some time. As long as you're in the Netherlands, English/Dutch/French/Spanish seems like a doable combination outside that project, but anything else will be too much until you're satisfied with your Dutch and English.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3844 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 18 of 22
11 September 2014 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
You mean that Romanian gives also a little introduction to Lithuanian and Latvian?
That's cool :)

Fortunately, French and Spanish are quite lightweight for me, while I'm not studying
English actively in this moment (Dutch is requiring most of my energies and I cannot
commit to another Germanic language now). Most of the people in my workplace have a
level that is similar or lower to mine, and I master the techcnical jargon so no
problem. Serious English study will take an insane amount of energies from me because
I have to revert an endless list of bad habits and bad input while being able to
filter continuous bad input. It will be probably the most difficult task in language
learning of my life.

So I count to be able to start with this project in January (if I don't change my
mind). Then I will have no more space for other languages almost at all for a long
period, I agree :)
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4625 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 19 of 22
11 September 2014 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
tristano wrote:
woah it seems that I really like to enumerate.

No problem. I like your structured style! :-) (Well, I did use to be a computer
programmer....).

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 20 of 22
11 September 2014 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
Well no, Lithuanian and Latvian are not Slavic languages and belong to a different Sprachbund too. But Romanian, Croatian and Bulgarian share certain features with other Balkan languages like Greek and Albanian.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4641 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 21 of 22
11 September 2014 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
tristano wrote:
You mean that Romanian gives also a little introduction to Lithuanian and Latvian?
That's cool :)

Balkan ≠ Baltic
4 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3844 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 22 of 22
11 September 2014 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
Ooooops.
A little bit of confusion :)
Well I guess also my geography will improve ;)

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version