12 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
theyweed
Poland
Joined 3599 days ago

23 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English

Message 1 of 12
10 September 2014 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
A few days ago I found a flashcard software called iAnki, but it is not the original Anki for iPhone, but other programm. Has someone used it before? How does SRS system work (I mean, does it also exploit the forgetting curve properly)? Any comparison to original Anki?
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 12
10 September 2014 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
sounds like they're taking advantage of Anki's popularity? not a good sign I think.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3643 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 3 of 12
10 September 2014 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
I downloaded it a while ago, not realising that it wasn't the real thing. I deleted it
soon after as it wasn't particularly user-friendly and just seemed like more trouble than
it was worth - which says a lot, considering it's a free app.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4796 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 4 of 12
11 September 2014 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
I donwloaded as well when I got my ipad. It is just abusing anki's popularity, as was already said. Not too good. Sure, it may be free but 99% of the free apps are just a path to the paid features.

theyweed
Poland
Joined 3599 days ago

23 posts - 33 votes

Message 5 of 12
12 September 2014 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
Elenia wrote:
I downloaded it a while ago, not realising that it wasn't the real
thing. I deleted it
soon after as it wasn't particularly user-friendly and just seemed like more trouble
than
it was worth - which says a lot, considering it's a free app.

Could you elaborate? What do you mean by "wasn't particularly user-friendly". I gave
it a try and haven't encountered any difficulty. The programme allows to type a word
so that one can verify whether the spelling is right. On the other hand it has a
major flaw - the number of new cards per day is not limited, which leads to situation,
where one's forced to tackle 1000+ cards so that system can exploit the forgetting
curve. I'm about to use it till monday and if this problem keeps occuring (being
forced to review whole deck) I will
switch to original anki (sheesh the time I've already wasted to put into the system
~150 card for each of my languages)

Edited by theyweed on 12 September 2014 at 10:40pm

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4452 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 6 of 12
13 September 2014 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
theyweed wrote:
(sheesh the time I've already wasted to put into the system
~150 card for each of my languages)

Is there any way to export your cards? I don't think I would have even tried Anki if
there wasn't any easy way to get data in and out.

theyweed
Poland
Joined 3599 days ago

23 posts - 33 votes

Message 7 of 12
13 September 2014 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
Yea, I guess a possibility exists, but one question arises, whether is it possible to
import to the original Anki an exported file from the fake one. I mean is it a same file
type or something?
Btw, do you know whether is it possible to use original Anki on multiple devices,
notably when these devices are not from one producent? I mean I'm about to download Anki
to iPod which I borrowed (I'll have to give it back someday), but then I'll probably buy
a phone with Android (in about month or two, so I don't want to loose valuable two months
of using SRS). As far as Apple is concerned it is possible to use Anki ID and for
instance have the programme on both iPod and (hyphothetical iPhone/Pad whatever), isn't
it?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 8 of 12
13 September 2014 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
See what formats are available for exporting in fake Anki, and what are available for importing in the real one.

yeah, Anki syncs your stuff all around. i think the ankidroid app is paid though. when you have internet access, you can use ankiweb too.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version