Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

"Exotic" languages and listening/reading.

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Entoursis
Diglot
Australia
Joined 3565 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 1 of 7
10 September 2014 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
Good day.

My question is related to reading/listening practice. Opportunities to practice these vary a lot from language to language. I remember studying English. It was quite easy, because there were countless listening exercises and simplified texts to get started, then gazzilions of googols of songs and movies to practice listening (thank you Hollywood, we appreciate your help), infinite amount of texts to choose from - any book in the world, scientific articles, blogs - read whatever you like. As for such languages as French or Japanese, it is also relatively easy to find practice materials - there are exercises for beginners (at least such sites as LingQ) and real stuff for advanced guys like books and movies. Not problem at all, although sometimes I find it difficult to find things I really want to read or watch, hard to concentrate on boring material (lucky I am, I don't ming watching anime).

However, I intend to start studying some "exotic languages" soon, like Ainu and Australian Aboriginal languages. Writing is easy, let's say - learn vocabularly and grammar, sit and write. So is speaking - I don't mind talking to myself. But how can I possibly practise the comprehension. For some of Australian languages, the only material that is specifically designed for studies is a grammar book and a dictionary at best, so no exercises for begginers. Even with advanced stuff - I guess that for about a half of world's languages it is true that not a single movie was ever dubbed in them so far, and no books as well (maybe only Bible). In fact, I believe there are maybe 100 at most "popular languages", the rest would be exotic to certain extent and hard to study. So a few questions I would like to ask based on all above:
1. Is it possible to study a language without any "comprehensional" pracice at all - just sit and learn stuff, write something, say something to your pet hamster and pretend to receive an answer etc? And what happens if I try to do so and eventually meet a native? Is it possible that I understand them without having listened to the speech of my target language ever in my life?
2. Is it possible to start listening practice with advanced stuff straight away? Say, there is no "easy" stuff at all, no LingQ etc. Just a few movies in target language without subtitles, and I try them immediately after learning some grammar and vocab? Is it going to work or not really? (with reading - I tried, annoying, but not impossible. For listening - this approach never worked for me, I need subtitles at least when I start, or maybe I didn't try hard enough).
3. Have anyone tried to study some really exotic languages? Perhaps, you could share your experience of dealing with this material-deficiency.

Thanks in advance,

Anton

Edited by Entoursis on 10 September 2014 at 11:36am

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4504 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 7
10 September 2014 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
You still need practice. If you're going to bind yourself to the constraints of a lesser-
studied language (example in my case would be Breton), it's imperative to make full use
of the resources you do have. Find the two original radio stations. Start using the
Internet to break into their communities. Make sure that the language has social weight.

Every language I've ever quit learning for a long time is connected to the dearth of
social resources you use.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6953 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 3 of 7
10 September 2014 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
You can learn something without "comprehensional" practice as you put it, although I believe that you should also set appropriate expectations. It would help that whatever you use would have an answer key to provide at least a minimum of guidance when applying what you've seen with example sentences or explanations of grammar. Without any guidance, you'll likely come out of the experience just with some structural knowledge of the language. That may ultimately suit your purposes

If you want to learn Ainu, you may need to learn some Japanese so that you can read learning materials for Ainu printed in that language.

In my experience with Inari Saami and Northern Saami, and plans to learn some Crimean Tatar and Tuvan, you can increase your chances of finding some learning material by looking for material in the intermediary language which is typically the second language for native speakers of the exotic language.

All of the useful stuff that I could find for Inari Saami is issued for speakers of Finnish. It's a similar situation for Northern Saami, although in addition to material issued in Finnish, there's a fair bit in Norwegian or Swedish, and recently even a small but growing set of material in English. For the exotic Turkic languages on my list, I've found some good stuff but it's issued in Russian. As a result, I've been off to the races for the last several weeks with "Take off in Russian" and "New Penguin Russian Course" to develop just enough of a passive knowledge of Russian to realize my goal.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5396 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 4 of 7
10 September 2014 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
To practice listening easy stuff in a less used language, I have found a solution: I have bought me a voice!
In Basque I did find ony some textbooks with recorded material, but for massive input of my choice I need more, in order to learn vocabulary and structures. So I found a text-to-speech generator (the lovely woman Arantxa), whose quality of enunciation is readly not bad, enough to get a very good feeling of the language and to train sentences. I feed a repetition system with comprehensible sentences and add the spoken version. So I can for example read the translation and hear the Basque version and can guess the words and learn. Quite nice!
I fear, for really exotic languages nobody has bothered yet to compose such voices, but for "small" languages, there are some offers.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4241 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 5 of 7
10 September 2014 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
The first thing you have to consider is how useful the language will be even if you managed to master it
to a native level. If you are talking about a language spoken by a tribe of N. American Indians that has
only a few native speakers left, the language won't be useful. You'd expect the elders to be the only ones
who can speak with an authentic accent. The younger generation may speak some version of the original
language but the pronunciation would be corrupted by English.

There are anthropologists who would spend years learning the languages & cultures of a few remote
tribes in the Amazon rainforest or islands in the middle of the Pacific. If this is your interest, go for it...

Without access to a language or with only a few books with phonetics won't be much help. You need to
live with a community to learn their ways.

Edited by shk00design on 10 September 2014 at 8:54pm

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4856 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 6 of 7
10 September 2014 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
It really depends on just how exotic it is. For a "level 1" exotic language that is well-documented and widely used
(Basque, Maltese, Hokkien) you can probably just proceed as normal, but valuing much more highly the resources
you find. If there is even one newspaper, one teacher, one dictionary, and one radio station, you can probably
satisfy your comprehension needs.

For a "level 2" exotic language that is somewhat well-documented or widely-used, (Gullah, Ainu, Balti), it's
probably best to seek out communities or experts, as well as learning the dominant regional language and/or the
most closely related major language. It may also be necessary to travel. Otherwise, the available resources are
likely to be limiting.

For a "level 3" exotic language spoken by a small community with limited contact with the outside world, you
probably have to content yourself with a superficial knowledge of the language, or go full-on anthropologist in
their community. Unfortunately, the Internet does not contain all human knowledge.

Anybody learning a "level 3" exotic language probably has a good reason (or is an incurable language geek taking
it possibly too far). For example, you could be a comparative linguist, or you could be a biological descendant of
that language community. That might justify it for some people even if there's nothing to read and no one to talk
to back home.

Edited by robarb on 10 September 2014 at 9:45pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

holly heels
Groupie
United States
Joined 3683 days ago

47 posts - 107 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 7 of 7
10 September 2014 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
When I visited Japan in 2010, I bought the book "Our Land Was A Forest", an autobiography by Ainu Kayano Shigeru, which has a small Ainu-English glossary.

It recounts his exchange with an Ainu linguist on what, in his opinion, were the 3 words of great import to the Ainu which have the same suffix...

Noype (brain)
Sanpe (heart)
Parunpe (tongue)

The linguist's reply was...

Siretok (beauty)
Rametok (courage)
Pawetok (eloquence)

The author talks about "shouldering the remains of the Ainu language", so it's obviously endangered to the point where there are probably no longer even radio broadcasts in the language, and even with knowledge of Japanese, learning it would be a noble exercise, but mainly academic, and without a lot of backup from others.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version