Diglot
United States
Joined 5174 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 1 of 3
16 September 2014 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
Several years ago I was given a seven VHS video tape Spanish course called "The Official Defense Language Institute Video Course from Multilingua, Inc." Each tape has about 120 minutes. It is old but my course is brand new. I only opened the first tape and watched the first few minutes to determine that I was too advanced for another beginner course at that time. It had old TV graphics and a military teacher in uniform teaching the video. It was produced to be a study at home course (i.e. it is not just a recording of a class... it is a specially produced video Spanish course).

I'm really just curious and wondering if anyone knows anything about this course. I've never heard it mentioned nor have I ever seen a link to it anywhere online. It does not have copyright written on it anywhere and I am wondering if it could be made available to the public.
1 person has voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 2 of 3
02 October 2015 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
Hello James29,
A few days ago, while conducting an unrelated search of the Internet, I came across this discussion thread as well as an offer on EBay for a set of audio cassettes that, apparently, were recorded to accompany "The Official Defense Language Institute Video Course from Multilingua, Inc." that you mentioned above. I placed an order for the audio cassettes and, when I receive them, I will convert them to MP3 format and will contact you with a view to combing the video and audio files. In my view, this DLI Spanish course should be considered in the Public Domain and is therefore a candidate for posting on the FSI/DLI language course websites.

EDITORIAL NOTE:
I have copied/pasted the two posts above into the "new" HTLAL Forum.

Edited by Speakeasy on 02 October 2015 at 3:15am

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 3 of 3
02 October 2015 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
UPDATE:
In addition to the "Official DLI Spanish Video Course" for which I have ordered the accompanying audio cassettes, yesterday, I placed an order for the VHS tapes and audio cassettes for the "Official DLI German Video Course". In both cases, my goal is to convert the VHS tapes to up-loadable video for posting on YouTube or elsewhere and to convert the 15 audio cassettes to mp3 files for uploading to the FSI/DLI databases. It seems that textbooks were not issued to accompany these courses. In the case of the German course, I am confident that I can prepare a German transcript with an English translation that for submission with the audio recordings. Hopefully, once the Spanish audio has been uploaded, someone will volunteer to prepare a similar transcript and translation.

FOLLOWING THIS DISCUSSION THREAD:
For those who wish to follow this discussion and, more particularly, who might wish to comment thereon, I recommend that you do so via the "new" HTLAL Forum: Discussion Thread on the "New" HTLAL Forum

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version