Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 1 of 11
17 September 2014 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
Some of you may know from my log that I'm struggling to learn to read in Georgian, even when I'm reading novels alongside with a translation. Besides, there aren't any subtitles in Georgian, for films or series. Therefore, I was thinking of killing two birds with a stone and getting novels with loads of dialogues so I can find their Georgian translation and practice. I tend to avoid long narrations and descriptions, as they don't help much at my current stage.

Books that match these chriteria include those by Agatha Christe and Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. It doesn't have to be about detectives, though, and it doesn't have to be a classic either. I found a book by Candace Bushnell in Georgian, and I believe those short novels about Holywood gossips would also do the job, like Lauren Weisberger's ones).

Any thoughts?
1 person has voted this message useful

luhmann
Brazil
Joined 5114 days ago

156 posts - 271 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: Mandarin, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 2 of 11
18 September 2014 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
There are plenty Georgian subtiltes at opensubitles.org

http://www.opensubtitles.org/pt/search/sublanguageid-geo

Reading subtiles without the video can be frustrating at times (for you don't who is speaking of what is happening). But often you won't be able to find any other reading materian in conversation style.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5043 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 3 of 11
18 September 2014 at 6:07am | IP Logged 
Já encontrei um app que parece ser interessante: lit.ge IOTA reader. Também está disponível no formato Android Não sei se vai servir, mas o site informa que se pode ler e comprar livros (até livros grátis) escritos em georgiano direitamente do app em formato eletrônico. Pode ser a melhor opção.

Further searching, I found some modern Georgian literature with some children's books in e-book format for purchase at lit.ge. Here's a sample of one that looks like a children's book, perhaps even an adaptation of The Jungle Book from Rudyard Kipling. There are other, what appear to be, children's books on the right side of the screen გამომცემლობა ლითერასი სერია ზღაპრები. Obviously, I can't read or speak Georgian, but perhaps you can see if it may help.

In addition to Agatha Christie and Arthur Conan Doyle, Asterix et Obelix would be a good bet for dialog. It may be available in Georgian translation Asterix contre Cesar but this looks to be a video direct from Georgia. Perhaps you could find the HQ's elsewhere cheaper.

I don't know if this will help you right now, expug, and they look to be difficult- but I followed this link from UNESCO on Georgian ebooks. Most is classic literature, if you'll scroll down to the bottom, there are some 20th century works with pdf's to download. Giorgi Leonidze. (1900-1966).

Lastly, here's an article about the Georgian writer, Guram Petriashvili, described as the Georgian Hans Christian Andersen. This could give you a place to start for original Georgian fairy tales.

Realmente, precisa de tixhii don, mas ele já sumiu do forum. O que posso dizer? É uma noite de insônia. Te desejo boa sorte! :) Vou ler mais de Rubem Fonseca!

Edited by iguanamon on 18 September 2014 at 8:35pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

PeteP
United States
Joined 4818 days ago

27 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Romanian

Message 4 of 11
18 September 2014 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
I don't know how easy these will be to find in Georgian, but The Hunger Games is written
in first person, present tense (mostly). This makes it ideal for language learning. I
am Number Four has a very similar writing style.

Hemingway usually isn't first person but there is SOOOOO much dialogue (for example, For
Whom the Bell Tolls) that it is almost like reading a play. Hemingway also tends to use
relatively simple grammar.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 5 of 11
18 September 2014 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
luhmann wrote:
There are plenty Georgian subtiltes at opensubitles.org

http://www.opensubtitles.org/pt/search/sublanguageid-geo

Tried that before. No Georgian managed to decode these subtitles. It is probably mistagged Bulgarian.

iguanamon wrote:
Further searching, I found some modern Georgian literature with some children's books in e-book format for purchase at lit.ge.

[...]

Lastly, here's an article about the Georgian writer, Guram Petriashvili, described as the Georgian Hans Christian Andersen. This could give you a place to start for original Georgian fairy tales.

Thanks for the links, iguanamon. I'm an avid customer of lit.ge =D As a matter of fact, I have access to easy original Georgian texts too, but they still aren't easy enough. I need to get easy translated novels. I used to have a site with links for classics both from Georgian and from world literature, but this week I checked and it went down =(

PeteP wrote:
I don't know how easy these will be to find in Georgian, but The Hunger Games is written
in first person, present tense (mostly). This makes it ideal for language learning. I
am Number Four has a very similar writing style.

Hemingway usually isn't first person but there is SOOOOO much dialogue (for example, For
Whom the Bell Tolls) that it is almost like reading a play. Hemingway also tends to use
relatively simple grammar.

I'm saving The Hunger Games, Palasio and another one I forgot for Norwegian translations =D I have to buy expensive ebooks for Norwegian, so it better be a book I'd enjoy a lot and feel anxious about reading.

Thank you for reminding me of Hemingway, I just read a bilingual of The Old Man and The Sea, it has indeed plenty of dialogues, even if the marine vocabulary put me off. That's the spirit!

luhmann
Brazil
Joined 5114 days ago

156 posts - 271 votes 
Studies: Mandarin, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 6 of 11
20 September 2014 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
Does any of these make sense?

cp1251:
ПАНДУР ЛОПОВСКИХ НАВИКА

cp1253:
ΟΐΝΔΣΠ ΛΞΟΞΒΡΚΘΥ ΝΐΒΘΚΐ

iso8859_5:
ЯРЭФга ЫЮЯЮТбЪШе ЭРТШЪР

iso8859_7:
ΟΐΝΔΣΠ ΛΞΟΞΒΡΚΘΥ ΝΐΒΘΚΐ

koi8_r:
оюмдсп кнонбяйху мюбхйю

koi8_u:
оюмдсп кнонбяйху мюбхйю

ptcp154:
ПАНДУР ЛОПОВСКИХ НАВИКА

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4847 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 7 of 11
20 September 2014 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
I can confirm that the above comments are not Bulgarian. The second and fourth ones are in a Greek script, while the rest are in Cyrillic. It doesn't look like any language I'm familiar with, so might it be Georgian written in Cyrillic? It's definitely not a Slavic language.

luhmann
Brazil
Joined 5114 days ago

156 posts - 271 votes 

Message 8 of 11
20 September 2014 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
I took a line of text from a supposed Georgian subtitle, and attempted to decode with all codecs available in Python. None has returned anything similar to Georgian, so I have assumed it must be written in Cyrilic. Those are the encodings that did not failed to parse or returned obvivous gibberish. Google , suggests that the language is Servian though (why didn't I do that in the first place?).

here's another line: МОРАМ ДА ОБИђЕМ МЕСТА, ДА ВИДИМ ЉУДЕ.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version