Triglot
United States
Joined 4561 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 81 of 83
30 June 2015 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
I just couldn't force myself to review FSI like I said I was going to do. I didn't feel like it was doing what I hoped it would do. I'm just going to move forward and assume that the subjunctive will clear up as I go along.
Here is a list of books that I have tested for readability with the readability (years of education). All of them are on my shelf, my phone, or at my local bookstore:

juega angel     6.53
el_coro     6.69
lamalahora     6.93
lituma          7.09
prisioner del cielo     7.43 
náufrago     7.44
artemio cruz     7.5
reina del sur     7.57
sombra viento     7.77
llosa perros     7.89
casa_verde     7.89
chivo         8.72
detectives       8.84
transparente     9.02
del amor y       9.14
2666         9.68
hojarasca     9.9
memoria          10
cronica          11
secuestro      11.09
alatriste     11.25
zorro         11.58
inés         12.2
general laberinto 12.34
Miguel Litín   12.8
cien         14.12
Noticias   Imperio 14. 53
colera     15.42
otoño        11.78
I hope you can identify the books from my abbreviated titles. I used one of the online readability calculators and I used the ARI rating, since it seems less English specific than some of the others. I hope the formatting holds up and leaves it readable.
I edited it a couple of times to make it more readable. It probably still doesn't look good.

Edited by sfuqua on 30 June 2015 at 5:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4561 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 82 of 83
09 July 2015 at 5:38am | IP Logged 
OK, I did a quick review of the subjunctive lessons up to lesson 41,which I'm starting tomorrow. I'm going to try move ahead more quickly now. I had some extra time today, so I went through two units of FSI, and I spent about an hour listening to and reading _Relato_ by García Márquez. Spanish is certainly ringing in my head right now.
I've continued my weird Iverson list on anki. I have covered a total of 1782 words in the lists. I probably am completely unfamiliar with, maybe, one in 10 of these words; the number of unfamiliar words will increase as I go along. I have some familiarity with many of the words in the list, but I'm certainly learning something. Many words I sort of half know, and the word list helps break up confusions that I have about some of the words. Studying vocabulary in this way also has the effect of making the words more salient when reading.

I'm really unsure of the reasons why, but I seem to be experiencing rapid improvement right now. Obviously FSI is working. I haven't done the whole, "I studied FSI, and the first time I spoke to a native speaker, we discussed existentialism." It does work, and it actually works pretty fast. Some of the effects are immediate, and dramatic, like the great improvement that it did to my grammatical agreement between parts of the sentence. Some of them were more subtle and quite unexpected, like my breakthrough on the two main past tenses in Spanish.

I'm quite encouraged by what is happening to my Spanish; I don't really see any limit to where my passive skills in Spanish are going to go, and in fact, I feel like I know enough now that I can start to improve quickly...

I know that some people hate FSI; I can understand why. I probably should have done it right after Assimil. I would have had to more more slowly, but I might have spent less time in the Ïntermediate Wasteland...

edited to correct bad English...

Edited by sfuqua on 09 July 2015 at 6:20am

mitcht
Australia
Joined 3537 days ago

32 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 83 of 83
10 July 2015 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
I am almost done with it (on unit 50 now) - i think it has been good for my Spanish but it is a long and painful ride
at times. I'm very excited to be able to finish up with it and start to get back to listening to more podcasts. Good
luck with finishing and the rest of your studies.

This discussion contains 83 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version