2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 24
08 October 2014 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Slayertplsko wrote:
I've read the blog article about subjunctive but the author doesn't give any
explanation for why it should be wrong to call the 'were' form past subjunctive. He
just called those doing it clueless, which doesn't really help.

Yeah, Pullman can get a little ranty on his blog. Let me find you a better explanation.

But first, some background. Modern linguistics is really pretty good at analyzing grammatical constructions, even if you limit yourself to the commonly-accepted basics of the field (and stay away well from esoteric things like government and binding theory). But until recently, a few language-specific academic communities have been mostly ignoring modern linguistics. For example, traditional Egyptology has some weird interpretations of Egyptian grammar that have been heavily modified—and simplified—using modern linguistic theory. (See Loprieno's excellent book for an example of how this is changing.)

But Egyptologists aren't the only people who spent much of the past century ignoring linguistics. Something very similar has happened with English grammar instruction: Awkward, out-of-date explanations have hung around since the 1800s without being updated or corrected. There's a big gap between what researchers know, and what typically gets taught.

Dr. Pullman, when he's not ranting on blogs, has actually spent a lot of time trying to make linguistic research accessible to a more general audience. In particular, he's the co-author of the remarkable The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language, an 1800-page tome that summarizes what linguists know about English grammar. To get a feel for this book, see the two free sample chapters, particularly chapter 2. One of the things I really like about this book is that it backs up its analyses with plenty of examples and counter-examples.

OK, with that background in mind, here's a short excerpt from CGotEL's analysis of the English subjunctive (there's a lot more in the book). This is dense, and it relies on terminology explained in earlier chapters:

Quote:
Irrealis and subjunctive

One striking weakness of the traditional analysis is that it treats the verbs of I be and I were as present and past tenses of a single mood, the subjunctive: this is quite unjustified in terms of the contemporary language. In general, they appear in different constructions and are not in direct contrast, but in the one place where it is marginally possible to have a contrast the meaning difference is clearly not one of time but of modality:

[34]
i If that be so, the plan will have to be revised. [subjunctive use of plain form]
ii If there were so, the plan would have to be revised. [irrealis]

Both are concerned with the present time, but [ii] suggests much more than [i] that 'that' is not so. In its normal use, i.e. in modal remoteness constructions, irrealis were does not refer to past time, and there is no synchronic reason to analyse it as a past tense form. Similarly, be is not a present tense form because it has no tense at all, as we argued above on the basis of its failure to undergo backshift in constructions like [27iib] (We demanded that they be reinstated). Moreover, we have seen that there is no inflectional distinction between this be and the ones that occur in the imperative and infinitival constructions. The plain form be, therefore, has no inflectional property of either tense or mood; 1st/3rd person singular were is likewise a non-tensed form, but it does have mood.

Yeah, it's pretty heavy going in places. :-) For people who don't have the rest of chapter 3, let me try to unpack it a bit:

"Synchronic"

This means, roughly, "in the current language as it exists today." The opposite is "diachronic", which involves looking at how the language has evolved over time. In other words, at some point in the evolution of English, it's perfectly possible that "If I were" was a past subjunctive form, but the authors are concerned with English as it actually exists today.

"Direct contrast"

If we want to claim that English has two verb forms named "Present X" and "Past X", we need to be able to set up contrasting sentences which differ only in tense. Let's show how this works by first establishing the difference between English's "Subjunctive" and the rare "Perfect subjunctive":

Quote:
Subjunctive: For him to commit the offence, it is essential that he transmit HIV to (his partner) with an intent to transmit it.

Perfect subjunctive: For him to have committed the offence, it was essential that he have transmitted HIV to (his partner) with an intent to transmit it.

These two sentences differ only in aspect: The first is the ordinary subjunctive, and the second is clearly a perfect subjunctive. It's rare, and some people will think it sounds weird, but we've just shown that it exists.

Now, CGotEL claims that no such contrast exists in modern English between the subjunctive and the "past subjunctive." The closest you can get are their examples [34i] and [34ii]. But there are problems here: [34i] is increasingly limited to poetic fixed phrases such as "If that be so." And whatever differs between [34i] and [34ii], it's nothing as simple as "present" versus "past." CGotEL claims these forms differ in "modality", but explaining what it means by that would require more typing.

So there's really only one place where we can set up a contrast between "I be" and "I were". That contrast feels somewhat forced: The "If that be" form is archaic, and we can't extend it to other verbs: *"If he run away, I will chase him". Ugh, no. And even when we do establish the contrast, it clearly differs in a property other than tense.

TL;DR: The term "past subjunctive" does not refer to an actual past tense of the subjunctive, at least not in modern English. It's an independent verb form which behaves very differently.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4118 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 18 of 24
12 October 2014 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
Perhaps this is why German uses the tense free terms, Konjunktiv I and II.

The problem with this is that in every case a German learner is always going to say, "okay, these form
do a different job and look slightly different to the present and past verb forms, but Konjunktiv I is
always going to look like the present form, and Konjunktiv II is always going to look like the past
form (more or less) ...so I should remember this."

The argument that a term like "present subjunctive" is misleading, since it´s not fulfilling any
"present" frame of mind is slightly undermined by the general looseness of English tense such as "I am
going tomorrow" (talking about the future with present continuous), or "she will play her guitar
all night!" (talking about the present with the future simple). I personally think the best terminology
is one that reminds you of the guideline and sticks in the head: for me, Konjunktiv I and II are less
useful for me as a learner than if they were called "Präteritumkonjunktiv" and "Präsenskonjunktiv." I
would say the same for the naming of the conditional tenses as "0 1 2 3." Not very helpful compared
with the more layman-friendly "factual/ unreal/ hypothetical/ future conditional." I must admit that I
now need to revise exactly which corresponds with which number.

Lastly I feel like some waves of change have had the effect of causing confusion for the learner. If a
student of English picks up an older grammar, she might encounter "pluperfect" or "present progressive"
or "simple present" instead of "past perfect" "present continuous" or "present simple." It's a small
problem, but what exactly has been gained by imposing disagreements between different generations by
adopting slightly new terms? The work of busybodies, I suspect.

Out of interest: are such terminological changes of fashion through history similar for other
languages' treatment of grammar? Or has the terminology largely stuck since whenever grammar books were
first published?
1 person has voted this message useful

tritone
United States
reflectionsinpo
Joined 5930 days ago

246 posts - 385 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, French

Message 19 of 24
16 October 2014 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
AlexTG wrote:
For me using the indicative in place of the subjunctive in the original example
completely changes the meaning and so is unacceptable. I wouldn't use the subjunctive
version either though, very unnatural, I would say: "Rupert Murdoch insists that each
paper should turn a profit".

Both examples are correct, they just mean totally different things.

In the fist example he's stating something he believes, and in the second he's making a command.

Also "should" is not necessary, and it sounds better without.

Quote:

In the doctor example I might say "I recommend he sees a doctor". It feels
natural and the meaning isn't changed.

That sounds horrible to me.

This might be a north-american thing.

Quote:
Medulin, that phrasing isn't obsolete, at least not in Australia. "We recommended
to her" would be more common, but still avoids the subjunctive. For non-natives
wanting to sound natural this is better than the subjunctive (at least to my ears).

...reccommend to her sounds equally bad.

"reccomend that she", is the only possibility to my ears.

Edited by tritone on 16 October 2014 at 9:48am

2 persons have voted this message useful

tritone
United States
reflectionsinpo
Joined 5930 days ago

246 posts - 385 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, French

Message 20 of 24
16 October 2014 at 9:32am | IP Logged 
Hampie wrote:

Nevertheless, there seems to be a lot of people who have no idea this exists – and the morphology of it is pretty
darn weak.

Ironically, it's the people who have never heard of it (native speakers), that use it the most.

It has limited usage, but where it is used, it's strongly preferred - at least around these parts.

Lots of things can only be said with the subjunctive, and the indicative would either change the meaning, be flattly ungramatical/sound horrible, or at worst be unitelligible.

Edited by tritone on 16 October 2014 at 9:34am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 21 of 24
24 October 2014 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
What does the slangy "be like" subjunctive imply?

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4699 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 22 of 24
24 October 2014 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
What does the slangy
"be like"
subjunctive imply?

The "be" here is an aspect, not a mood (such as the indicative and subjunctive). It's
mostly Black English (the latest proper term is African American Vernacular English).
The wikipedia page Habitual Be
explains it in more depth.

A quick summary: "He be like" in American slang is present tense, habitual aspect,
indicative mood, active voice.

The standard breakdown we're taught in school* is:

tenses: present and past
aspects: simple, progressive, perfect, perfect-progressive
moods: indicative, subjunctive, imperative
voices: active and passive

Standard English doesn't have the habitual aspect per se, or at least not in the same
way - we see it a lot more in creoles and pidgins.

* And actually, we weren't taught the subjunctive either; I never heard of it until I
started studying Latin and our professor had to re-educate us on basic English
grammar.

Edited by kanewai on 24 October 2014 at 9:44pm

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5342 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 23 of 24
24 October 2014 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
What does the slangy "be like" subjunctive imply?

I don't think it's a subjunctive, actually. :-) In this case, it may be related to the verb tense and aspect system of African American Vernacular English.

Most varieties of American Vernacular English (not just AAVE) use can use "like" to introduce quotations, at least among anyone under the age of 45 or so: "So I'm like, 'I'm not touching that.'" Combine that with present-tense "be" in AAVE, and you have "be like".

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 24 of 24
24 October 2014 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
Ah okay, I didn't recognize the normal "I'm like" thing :)
So is it kinda like the present tense of the habitual "would"?

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version