United Kingdom
Joined 4715 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 25 of 31
31 October 2014 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:

I am have only been learning for 2.5 years so I am still in my first years :)

I've been studying French for about 3.5 years, and I've recently been using Hugo French in 3 Months for a review. I'm still in my first years too!

patrickwilken wrote:

I certainly agree with your main point at some level, though I am not convinced the heavy early grammar approach helps either. I have seen quite a few people (both here and in Berlin) start this way and ultimately give up because it never gets to a point where they can use the language.

I wouldn't advocate "heavy grammar" at any stage, but I think a balanced approach is worthwhile throughout your studies. But as you say, at the end it comes down to personal goals and preferences.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3888 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 26 of 31
31 October 2014 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
What is the definition of heavy grammar?
We have present, past, future, konjunctive II, pre past, "haben gedacht" (forget the name for the usual way of past tense in spoken usage).
Nom, akk, dat. genitive.
Word order switch in subordinate clauses.
zu + infinitive.
Adjective endings.

These are not that complicated. It may take a while to internalize the rules and come up with the right constructions on the spot, but rules wise there are not that many.
1 person has voted this message useful

EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4381 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 
Studies: English*, German

Message 27 of 31
13 November 2014 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
It's been over a week since I've done any German. Recently I have been getting up at 7am, going to school
and haven't finished school work till late at night around 9pm ish after which I am extremely tired. I can't see
my workload decreasing in the next couple of months, which is unfortunate. I am hoping to incorporate at
least half an hour of German each day into my routine, but school work is taking priority. Not going to give up
though!

Edited by EnglishEagle on 13 November 2014 at 12:37am

EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4381 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 

Message 28 of 31
28 June 2015 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
Umm, so it's be 7 months since I last posted and I took a 6 month break. Today is exactly 4 weeks since I
seriously began learning German (again) for up to 2 hours a day (most days is an hour). So far I've been using
iTalki, LingQ and Assimil.

Edited by EnglishEagle on 29 June 2015 at 12:31am

rtickner
Diglot
Groupie
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3324 days ago

61 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanB2
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 29 of 31
29 June 2015 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
Hey there, glad to see you've returned. Don't be discouraged by the starts and stops,
life gets in the way sometimes and it takes a few months to get back on track. Good luck
with it. If the course work is getting a little dry, or if you find you have a stack of
free time away from your desk, try out an all audio course like Michel Thomas or
Pimsleur. You should be able to track down a copy from your library. I used Michel Thomas
when I started German many moons ago, and I would strongly recommend it to anybody
starting out in a new language, as it gives you a good confidence boost and gives you
some momentum to tackle the books afterwards.

EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4381 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 

Message 30 of 31
14 July 2015 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
rtickner wrote:
Hey there, glad to see you've returned. Don't be discouraged by the starts and stops,
life gets in the way sometimes and it takes a few months to get back on track. Good luck
with it. If the course work is getting a little dry, or if you find you have a stack of
free time away from your desk, try out an all audio course like Michel Thomas or
Pimsleur. You should be able to track down a copy from your library. I used Michel Thomas
when I started German many moons ago, and I would strongly recommend it to anybody
starting out in a new language, as it gives you a good confidence boost and gives you
some momentum to tackle the books afterwards.

Thanks, I'm still plodding along with Assimil, but I'm doing 2/3 lessons a day and I've really ramped up the
time I'm spending with the language - today it was 3 hours. Most of the time I'm focusing on Assimil but will
use Anki. I've also been using LingQ to do some extra reading and listening.

EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4381 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 

Message 31 of 31
26 July 2015 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
Lesson 30-something of Assimil is all I've got up to, but I will be continuing with Assimil just at a much slower
pace of 4-5 lessons a week. I decided to switch over to extensive listening and reading. Initially I decided to
import 'Der Kleine Prinz' into the LWT software, but it's far too hard for my current level and I gave up after 48
hours. Instead I've bought the short stories written by André Kleine, the short stories for beginners with the
accompanying audio. I'm currently reading 'Cafe in Berlin' and it's so much easier and more enjoyable! Trying
to attempt a text with 80% unknown words I think was a bit silly of me. The amount of unknown words in
'Cafe in Berlin' is probably 20%, but that's just a guess. I've also been using LingQ as well and some of the
content on there is quite interesting and simple enough for me to read.

Edited by EnglishEagle on 26 July 2015 at 10:36pm

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version