United Kingdom
Joined 3468 days ago

54 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 1 of 2
04 October 2014 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone!
I’m Claire, I’m 21 and I live in England.
I’ve almost finished studying for my BA in Linguistics and I have recently begun studying languages again after a long hiatus. I was
really interested in language learning when I was 14 but then a few unfortunate health problems diverted my attention…
Recently I have decided to take up language learning anew and I’ve chosen French, German and Thai, although I will only begin
studying the latter once I have reached an acceptable level in the former two.
I think the main reason for choosing French and German is that they seem like a very good deal, they’re very easy for someone who
speaks Italian and English and once you’ve learnt them you’ve gained access to so much art and entertainment in its original
language. Of course the same could be said of Spanish, but alas I can’t learn every language and personally I prefer the sound of
French.
As far as Thai is concerned, I fell in love with it the moment I heard it spoken, hopefully it won’t be too impossible to learn! Besides I
didn’t want to focus all my effort on the lowest-hanging fruits and as a linguist I’m really curious to know what it’s like to be able to
speak a language that is very different from my mother tongue.

I’m looking forward to contributing to the forum and learning new things about my target languages and language learning!
3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5022 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 2
04 October 2014 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
Welcome, Claire/Chiara! You're right, French should be easy for you to pick up with your background. As one who has picked "low hanging fruit" (Spanish-Portuguese), I can tell you from a practical standpoint that you will progress through the basics rapidly, but getting it right- that takes a lot of time, sometimes frustratingly long.

Agree with you about an Asian language being an interesting challenge.

Looking forward to your contributions!
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version