Groupie
Canada
Joined 4497 days ago

49 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 24
05 October 2014 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
I was wondering if any of you ever got intimidated while learning a foreign language,
not by the language itself, but by other learners? On these forums I often see people
who speak a lot more languages then I do, they seem to know what they're doing, etc.
Or even people who are learning also learning your target language. They are more
advanced then you and you just feel like it's embarrassing to show your progress or
level.

It causes some problems in my learning because I feel embarrassed to talk with others,
or ask questions. Which I know I shouldn't, but I just can't seem to get over it.
I often compare myself to others, in any situations. I'm very competitive even when
there's no reasons to be.

Did you ever experience something like that? Are you similar to me? Or do you have
any tricks on getting over that embarrassment and shyness?
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 24
05 October 2014 at 5:20am | IP Logged 
That's the impostor's syndrome, and it helps a lot simply to know that it exists and that we've got some great company :-) In our case all the discussions about polyglots being frauds etc probably contribute a lot to that.

I last felt it when Cristina was in Moscow recently and we met espejismo together. These two have such an amazing level of spoken English!
3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 3 of 24
05 October 2014 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
Try sitting next to Iversen.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5408 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 4 of 24
05 October 2014 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
Well, I think in every aspect of life there are people who outperform you: There are many people who are more intelligent than I, more beautiful, more rich, have more friends, can better play musical instruments, have whiter teeth and shinier hair, are more outgoing, are more funny, are more serious, are more cultured, are better chess-players, can run faster and longer, have more grit, can iron their clothes without creases, I do not know what else...
I will have a hard time, if I envy all these people. When I am riding my bike, many people are faster than me. Some of them are these sport freaks who train every day, some have expensive bicycles easier to ride fast, exactly the half of them have more testoterone than I in their blood to build muscles, some are in a hurry and overexert themselves and some of them have an auxiliary battery to speed them up (those cheats!!). Does this matter? No, the important thing is, that I arrive, where I want to go. I have my destination and I ride on, and sometime i will be there. Compete with yourself, not with some fancy people!
10 persons have voted this message useful

blonl
Australia
Joined 3521 days ago

6 posts - 14 votes

Message 5 of 24
05 October 2014 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
Cabaire is right.

Checking on others’ progression will never really boost your motivation, but the opposite. When you see another
person doing better than you, you may feel a mixture of emotions like envy and hatred. It is a normal. We human
beings are envious creature and there is no shame in admitting it. Indeed, you may also feel emotions like
admiration, respect and appreciation. It may even make you see the possibilities in the endeavor and push you
forward a little. But over time, when you look back at your own results you may start questioning yourself for
your own ability, and you may start to think why you are not getting what you deserve or why you are not as
talented as the others. The fact is, although these emotions will only give you a temporary push to learn more, it
will eventually turn into an envy-driven kind of energy that is negative and venomous. Before you know, you will
want to give up because you can never be better than everyone else.

Some people tend to exaggerate or even deceive to get attention. In this day and age, even if you can't do
something, you can lie about it, stage it, memorize scripts, or even hire actors to make it seem like you can. Clips
you see on the net where teenagers speak 20+ languages are the most blaring examples as they are simply
bogus. On the Internet, nothing is entirely true. If I were you, I would still ask for advice on the internet. Filter out
the ones you find valuable, then disconnect yourself from it. There is really no point checking out other people’s
learning progress (unless of course you are his/her fan.)

The bottom line: Don't believe that anyone is better than you. Don't measure your own ability by comparing to
others. This is your own race.

Edited by blonl on 05 October 2014 at 11:56am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 24
05 October 2014 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
Let's not generalize too much. Competition can be extremely motivating, as long as you compare yourself to those in the same "league", and you actually like them as people and are happy if they make progress. Comparison is something humans do naturally, and you can't truly ignore it. You have to accept it and be honest to yourself, also when someone doesn't have any objective advantage over you but is simply willing to work more.

The problem is twofold: some are objectively better than us, and we should just "allow" them to. But sometimes we idealize others while nitpicking when it comes to ourselves. We think we're objectively worse when we aren't. This kind is more subtle and more challenging, imo.

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5045 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 7 of 24
05 October 2014 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
I have to say that a lot of people here intimidate me. But they are further advanced, or ahead for reasons of their own. For example EMK studies French and so do I, but he married into the language, while I married an Englishwoman, so while he can speak better French than me...

I'm sure if we were at a Nuclear or a Jack Tar after a Leo Sayer and a Ruby I could get us to the Gates for a couple of lids and an Andy McNab. I know more cockney than most spetics. I figure EMK wouldn't make it on his Jack Jones to the Gates without losing his Dicky and Dirt, or his dog and bone to a micky mouse or a Joe Rook.

Edited by rdearman on 05 October 2014 at 4:19pm

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5341 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 24
05 October 2014 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
I'm sure if we were at a Nuclear or a Jack Tar after a Leo Sayer and a Ruby I could get us to the Gates for a couple of lids and an Andy McNab. I know more cockney than most spetics. I figure EMK wouldn't make it on his Jack Jones to the Gates without losing his Dicky and Dirt, or his dog and bone to a micky mouse or a Joe Rook.

*rises and claps* This one took me a bit of Googling to untangle. :-)

Quote:
Nuclear sub = pub.
Jack Tar = bar.
Leo Sayer = all-dayer (drinking).
Ruby Murray = curry.
Gates of Rome = home.
Bin lid = quid? I'm guessing here.
Andy McNab = cab.
Septic tank = Yank.
Jack Jones = own.
Dicky dirt = shirt.
Dog and bone = telephone.
Mickey Mouse = scouse.
Joe Rook = crook.

I've never tried to navigate eastern London after a day at the pub, but I did learn how to avoid pick-pockets in Naples (and Rome and Florence), which surely counts for something.

As for the subject of thread, there's an old saying which says:

Quote:
Don’t compare your inside to someone else’s outside.

Sure, my French reading comprehension and vocab is pretty decent, at least for somebody who has never lived in a French-speaking country. But I've spent over 5 years listening to my wife speak French at home, I've read 10,000 pages for the Super Challenge and I've done over 20,000 Anki sentence reps. And even though I was mostly just taking it easy, you'd sort of hope that something would stick after all that, right?

And if you read my log, you can see a whole lot of confusion and frustration mixed in with the moments of joy and victory. I certainly can't use French the way I use English—I hesitate, I search for words, I mangle grammar, I struggle with French film and Canal+ TV series. Despite having spoken French almost every day for years, I'm still a zillion miles off from what a real native can do. Very few people will ever reach a point where they're comfortable comparing their L2 to a well-read native. So I might as well learn to accept that fact. :-)

Edited by emk on 05 October 2014 at 9:24pm

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version