Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4144 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 1 of 4
05 October 2014 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
After consulting several sources and doing some soul-searching, I've made up my mind on what dialect of Arabic I'd like to start learning next year (Levantine, concretely Lebanese), so I'm currently at the stage of gathering materials. Mind you, I've not studied MSA before so essentially I'm starting from scratch.

Now, here are the facts. I really like paper dictionaries when I'm studying, so I'd like to get myself one, but an Amazon search failed to turn one up for Lebanese Arabic. However, when I simplified the search to just "Arabic dictionary", it returned a lot more hits; not "Egyptian" or "Lebanese" or "Gulf" Arabic, just simply Arabic.

I'm sort of guessing these are MSA dictionaries, but I'd still like the input: if you're studying dialect as opposed to standard Arabic, would using one of these dictionaries be helpful or confusing?
1 person has voted this message useful

fiolmattias
Triglot
Groupie
Sweden
geocities.com/fiolmaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6499 days ago

62 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, Arabic (Written)

Message 2 of 4
05 October 2014 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
There are a dictionary on Syrian arabic that has good reviews.
But you have discovered the problem with learning a dialect first :)

If you learn MSA first you would discover that most (90%+) of the non 300 most common
words is either MSA or extremely close to the MSA counterpart. Nydell for example
writes in her excellent book Conversion from Standard Arabic to the Levantine dialect
that one that is B2 in MSA will need about 60-80 classroom hrs of Levantine to
understand just about anything. To produce is of course an other matter :)
This quote is interesting as well "Then, once you have a foundation in day to day
conversations you’ll be able to use those bigger words you have learned in MSA (like
United Nations and political science) because they are more often used in the spoken
dialect as well." (from: alpsbeirut.wordpress.com/2014/03/26/what-is-the-difference-
between-modern-standard-arabic-and-spoken-arabic/)

But since you are starting with dialect you should perhaps try to get that Syrian
arabic dictionary?
5 persons have voted this message useful

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4144 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 3 of 4
05 October 2014 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
Great advice! Thank you very much. Yes, I was afraid that starting by the specific rather than by the general would give me problems like this.

Thing is, I saw an interview by Benny Lewis to an Egyptian national with lots of travel experience, and I consider it pretty rational advice not to start by MSA if your aim is to visit a country and talk with its people. I admit that at this point I have no such goal, but the spur on which I decided to study Lebanese Arabic is s one of those "someday I'd like to visit (___)" wishes... and also an excuse to study a completely new language. :P

However, I decided to start with Levantine because I figure the basics (grammar and important vocabulary) would probably be the same, and because I heard MSA is literary, not conversational. If this is a mistaken impression, it'd be good to know beforehand--I always can start by studying MSA as a knowledge-base and then moving on to Levantine when I feel confident about speaking.
1 person has voted this message useful

Andrew C2
United Kingdom
naturalingo.com/free
Joined 3531 days ago

4 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Written)

Message 4 of 4
05 October 2014 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
fiolmattias wrote:
There are a dictionary on Syrian arabic that has good reviews.
But you have discovered the problem with learning a dialect first :)

If it's this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dictionary-English-Arabic-Georgetown -Linguistics-
Languages/dp/1589011058/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=14125 40434&sr=1-
1&keywords=Syrian+arabic+dictionary
it is good but English-Arabic only, so of limited use to a learner.

You could try The Olive Tree dictionary, which is for Palestinian.

Levantine is a good Arabic dialect to go for as it is widely understood and not too different from MSA.

Edited by Andrew C2 on 05 October 2014 at 10:29pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version