Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4698 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 17 of 19
05 January 2015 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
Nice to see you're back! Your revision plan looks sound, and I imagine the two Assimil courses will get you a long way towards passing that exam. Add bit of Bible and theological reading practice, and you should be fine.

If you're interested in online learning tools, a number of us have found lingvist.io to be really good. It would certainly be a nice supplement to Assimil.
1 person has voted this message useful

ragnar1230
United States
studygreek.wordpress
Joined 4273 days ago

15 posts - 20 votes
Studies: French

Message 18 of 19
29 January 2015 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
Well, I'm finally reaching the end of the passive wave of Assimil's New French with Ease. In retrospect, I'm frustrated with the way it's structured. It advertises a "listen and learn" approach, but the exercises at the end of the lessons always require the information from the footnotes, and there's no way to learn that just by listening - you have to brute-force memorize it. Furthermore, each lesson gets a little longer and the speakers talk a little faster, which means that here at the end of the passive wave, the time I devote to each lesson is nearly double what I needed at first - and that's not even calculating the additional time for the active wave! And as far as the active wave goes, it adds a heck of a lot more than the "five minutes" the book said it would take (page 210).

Oh, well, I guess I can't reasonably expect accuracy in advertising. I should probably doubt that big "C1" logo on the front of Using French, as well. Le sigh.

Speaking of Using French, I just got it in the mail yesterday, and I'm relieved/astonished to discover it doesn't have an active wave. I guess you're just supposed to continue the active wave from NFWE? and by the time you're done with that, you're good to go?

Anyway, I don't think I'm going to go straight into Using French. I think maybe I didn't absorb as much from NFWE as they expected me to (although the intro to Using French said I only need a vocabulary of 500 words). Once I finish the passive wave (early next week), I'm going to continue with the active wave while I go back and begin revision of Lesson #1.

My idea:
* I will not try to push through a lesson a day. I will limit my time each day with Assimil, so that I stop dreading French. I will spend 45-60 minutes a day, and spend as many days on a lesson as necessary.
* I will use Anki to learn verb conjugations, noun genders, and phrases in the footnotes.
* I will listen to the dialogues until I can understand them easily. (Maybe I should try shadowing the dialogues? I need to read the wiki page on Shadowing and figure it out.)
* I will seek out easy French to read for fun every day. I have the first few Blaine Ray readers; I can start with them. I will allow myself to reread stuff I've already read just to encourage myself.
* I will seek out fun French songs on YouTube and learn them as long as it's fun.

Any other recommendations? I'm open to suggestions.

ragnar1230
United States
studygreek.wordpress
Joined 4273 days ago

15 posts - 20 votes
Studies: French

Message 19 of 19
09 February 2015 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
Last week, I completed the last passive wave lesson of Assimil's NFWE. After thinking it through, I'm taking a break from Assimil for a while, and doing Lingvist and some other things. Assimil was just becoming drudgery, and I wanted to change things up to keep it fresh and interesting. Whenever Lingvist gets boring or less useful, I'll return to Assimil's NFWE and do revisions of each lesson (using Anki and perhaps shadowing).

Today, my routine consisted of:
* 150 flashcards in Lingvist
* Read today's article from 1jour1actu
* Watched today's "1jour1question" video from 1jour1actu
* Watched a L'ane Trotro video
* Worked on learning the French to "Let It Go!"

It was a lot of fun - much more fun than I can remember having with my French in a long time. We'll give this routine a run, then (probably towards the beginning of the summer) I'll have to start preparing more specifically for the theology translation exam.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version