ericblair
United States
Joined 4516 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 9 of 13
18 October 2014 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
Thanks for your help, Speakeasy. I appreciate it!
1 person has voted this message useful

ericblair
United States
Joined 4516 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 

Message 10 of 13
19 October 2014 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
I've contacted three of the sellers whose advertisements say theirs has the audio. All
said they don't, in fact. Haha. I give up. It is no big deal, anyway. I didn't think it
had audio to start with, and I paid less than $5 for the book.

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3857 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 11 of 13
19 October 2014 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
Hi Eric,

I'm sorry that this didn't work out for you. Your experience with the smaller booksellers in this particular instance reflects mine. After having been "burned" a couple of times, that is, having ordered and been billed for something, only to receive something other than what was ordered, and having to go through the hassle of returning, requesting credit, etcetera, I simply adopted the practice of contacting the the seller before ordering.

In my experience, when dealing with the smaller operations that offer their wares through Amazon, Alibris, AbeBooks, and especially EBay:
(a) about 20% of the time, the seller simply does not answer repeated requests for information, which causes me to wonder about their committment of customer service (I take notes),
(b) about 40% of the time, the seller advises that they do not have the item listed, hence my recommendation that you contact those who advertised the audio cassettes,
(c) about 40% of the time, the seller confirms availability but, sadly, this is "actually true" about 90% of the time, so there is still a risk, and finally,
(d) some sellers are remarkably easy to work with and will go out of their way to help you, which even includes buying an item from a competitor, receiving it, listing on Amazon or whereever, repackaging it, and selling it to you, all with no additional charges. Now THAT's customer service!

Better luck next time!

jpazzz
Groupie
United States
Joined 4850 days ago

54 posts - 76 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 12 of 13
20 October 2014 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
Hello Everybody. My own experiences (a bit more than twenty years worth) of Amazon are somewhat more positive than Speakeasy's. I do check before hand and almost invariably get a response (I don't bother with sellers with less than a 97% rating). Occasionally, I'll get a form response from one of the really large sellers telling me that they can't possibly check on an individual book and that I should trust their integrity...these, I ignore.

I have also found that if I'm disappointed in an item I've received, politely phrased
complaint gets a positive response.

I am, as an aside, delighted to find that I was correct in thinking that the Hippocrene Mastering French was not an FSI course or rip off. So there was no need to apologize!

Cheers,
John

ericblair
United States
Joined 4516 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 

Message 13 of 13
20 October 2014 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
I contacted the publisher last week as well when I still cared. They just got back to me.
Hippocrene does not have a copy of the audio and the course was never re-released after
the version I have.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version