Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3847 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 9 of 14
17 October 2014 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
Bonjour Clueless,

I don’t think that one can really compare the different language courses discussed above as their specific goals and teaching strategies are so very different one from the other. Personally, and many would disagree, I would not combine two different courses at the beginning of learning a language.

I'm not sure that I understand your question concerning "highest yield" which, to me, suggests a relationship of "input to output" in the learning process. I do not wish to embark on such a discussion as it is fraught with much conjecture and it has the possibility for endless debate.

Finally, I suggest that you review Chung's post which, as always, is filled with much wisdom. In fact, I MUCH prefer his post to mine!
1 person has voted this message useful

clueless1
Canada
Joined 4532 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 10 of 14
18 October 2014 at 6:43am | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
If you have only 2 weeks, get a phrase book with a CD.

Such as this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Gem-Russian-Phrasebook-Pack/ dp/0007247036

I doubt you will get most of that done in 2 weeks, but anything more will be wasting
your time and money.

I thought I made it exceptionally clear the bulk of my inquiry was NOT directed toward a two week period?

clueless1
Canada
Joined 4532 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 11 of 14
18 October 2014 at 6:45am | IP Logged 
Speakeasy wrote:
Bonjour Clueless,

I'm not sure that I understand your question concerning "highest yield" which, to me, suggests a relationship of
"input to output" in the learning process. I do not wish to embark on such a discussion as it is fraught with much
conjecture and it has the possibility for endless debate.

salut, fair enough. ... I guess I'm wondering about the debate re favourite course (or progression of courses) ?

Edited by clueless1 on 18 October 2014 at 7:12am

Arnaud25
Diglot
France
Joined 3637 days ago

129 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 12 of 14
19 October 2014 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
Ruslan is also a good course: 3 books + CDs. The only drawback I see is that the russian texts are not translated. The exercices are corrected (at the end of the book for book 1 and 2, on a pdf on internet for book 3). The method is published in several languages: french, english, German, dutch, and swedish. The audio is entirely in russian, in the Assimil way. It can be studied in 2 years instead of 3, because the book 1 is not very difficult. The book 3 is challenging and sometimes boring.
The book 1 contains only simple dialogs, book 2 and 3 dialogs and texts on the russian culture. It's a little story, unlike Assimil: there are several characters that you follow during the whole course.
They also sell byproducts like workbooks, readers and a grammar, but they are not necessary: the textbooks with CDs are sufficient.

I used it combined with Assimil and it's was very useful. If studied seriously, it can bring you to a real B2 level of comprehension and let's say a good B1/B1+ level of oral production if you're alone and speak only to yourself.

As an intro, "Michel Thomas" and "Take off in russian" are good choices, imho: I've started russian with the 3 levels of Michel Thomas and I really enjoyed the process.
My 2 cents.

Edited by Arnaud25 on 19 October 2014 at 10:19am

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6242 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Thai, Polish

Message 13 of 14
25 October 2014 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
This online course is excellent and totally free.
There is a lot of audio, the dialogues are fun, the grammar is gradually introduced and
there are lots of exercises. It's very comprehensive as well.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 14 of 14
08 November 2014 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
If you have two weeks and you can work 14 hours per day, you can go in Russia knowing all what
you need as a tourist studying Michel Thomas and Pimsleur.
If you need also to read, well...

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version