Diglot
United States
Joined 3724 days ago

35 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Polish

Message 1 of 6
19 October 2014 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
After 9 months of studying Polish and think that I made it to A1...I understand very
simple conversation and tell very simple sentences...Darn hard language, even though I
give it more than 1 hour a day, days a week. Sometimes, I feel that to learn Polish
one needs to have an immense memory capacity. Currently I am using Polski Bez
Problem+. It fits very well my study style, though I'd wish it has more grammar
exercises and drills.

I would love using Assimil for Polish, but they have it only for French speakers. Has
anyone tried it without knowing french? By the way, my primary language is Spanish.
That is not too far away from French. I use to speak french, probably B1, 40 year
ago..Is it worthy considering after finishing Polski Bez Problem +? I do not want to
start with their intermediate level until I do another beginning course.

Note to anyone who want to study polish...STAY AWAY FROM ROSETA STONE...
worthless for Polish and probably for any other language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

drygramul
Tetraglot
Italy
Joined 4250 days ago

165 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: Persian, Italian*, EnglishC2, GermanB2
Studies: French, Polish

Message 2 of 6
19 October 2014 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
I am almost in the same situation: French b1/b2 15years ago (a0 now), and native Italian speaker. I'm going to use Assimil le polonais sans peine (I've done just a few lessons), but I can rely on the help from a polish speaker whenever I've doubts. It shouldn't prove difficult to find a Polish language partner for someone who speaks Spanish or English.

I think you could also do it alone by skipping the French translation, but you should manage to find a good dictionary.

Edited by drygramul on 19 October 2014 at 11:08pm

1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4470 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 3 of 6
20 October 2014 at 4:41am | IP Logged 
If you don't know any french, it's not going to be a useful teaching tool. I actually learned french (using Assimil) in
large part due to the desire to gain access to the Assimil library, and Le Polonais seems like a pretty good course to
me. As has been discussed in a few places here before, one does not need to be super advanced in French to use
one of these courses. If you used to have intermediate-level French, it's quite possible that you'll find yourself able
to puzzle it out once you get going.

Lusan
Diglot
United States
Joined 3724 days ago

35 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Polish

Message 4 of 6
21 October 2014 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
Thanks, Geoffw and Draygramul for yous comments. Polish is not popular and I think
Assimil does not find much value on having an English version.

I just bought Assimil le polonais... I will take a look and see how tough is that
french. After all, it is a romance language, right? I speak Spanish. Probably it would
ok: it is not my first Polish course and I already know 1500 Polish words and, thanks
god, my wife is Polish. If lost, I can ask her help. However, I will not start it
until I finish with the first level of Porlski Bez Problem +. This is a good course,
but I think it lacks something. I'd wish it has more grammar exercises. Many years
ago, when I studied English in High School, we used English 900. I loved that method.
It had 900 key sentences and multitude of drills. In polish, I suspect grammar plays a
mayor role in Polish. It is unavoidable.

t1234
Diglot
South Africa
Joined 3920 days ago

38 posts - 83 votes 
Speaks: English*, Afrikaans
Studies: Turkish, Polish

Message 5 of 6
21 October 2014 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
I've used Polnisch ohne Mühe. It's OK but not great, the way the grammar is introduced is quite confusing to say the least. I think the closest method in English is Polish in 4 Weeks volume 1&2. Basically it's a dialogue similar Assimil followed by grammar notes specific to the lesson. There are 55 lessons in total (about 1H52M of audio compared to Assimil 2H40). The dialogues are slightly longer and follow on from each other, they're also more practical IMHO.

The Assimil dialogues are nice to read at least because they actually all try to be funny, even with limited Polish. But the grammar is introduced a bits and pieces, for example the order in lessons might be: masculine singular genitive followed by feminine plural accusative and then plurals in the nominative. So you never get a nice picture of everything. Perfective and imperfective is also poorly explained IMHO.

I found P4W slightly better because the grammar explanation relate directly to the lesson, but in some places it does the same. For example it has the genitive singular for all genders except masculine virile which is covered 10 lessons later or something.

I was surprised to find Colloquial Polish is also really good but avoid Teach Yourself Polish. All of these books have exercises but none of them are numerous or rigorous. Chungs profile of Polish has more information.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3829 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 6 of 6
24 October 2014 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
For what are my standards I would never even try to learn the grammar with Assimil.
I find it excellent to achieve reading and listening comprehension and learn idiomatic
phrases. I also do the exercises but most of the time I don't write them down. The way
I learn languages is by absorbing it from a lot of input (indeed I'm always a little
bit weak in the grammar but I also pick it up quicker when I start do study it). I see
this in my french course: I'm not the best at grammar but I'm the one that picks the
vocabulary faster and is more confident about speaking.

Also being able to read and understand gives me the confidence that my level is
improving. I find the classic method rather boring and slow. But I like studying pure
grammar: it also boosts the comprehension. What I find absurd is spending time to
remember every rule and every word. It is extremely slow and leads to frustration. I
find normal to learn and forget, learn and
forget, learn and forget, learn, instead.

Edited by tristano on 24 October 2014 at 8:50pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version