Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4327 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 9 of 21
22 October 2014 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

One more thing: an experienced tutor can be a good investment but preparatory classes never are. Never.

Yeah. I am completely into the idea that this is as much (or more) preparation for the test as it is about getting to C1 level.

Any thoughts about how long or when to use a tutor? I was thinking of hiring someone for Jan-Feb, and working mostly on my own (with the help of my wife's corrections) up until then. Or do you think that would be leaving things too tight for a mid-March exam?

The exam book is an excellent idea. I am very open to suggestions if any one has had good experiences with a particular publication.

I trust you, really I do, but is it absolutely true that preparatory classes are always completely a waste of time? I was thinking that the Goethe Institute one-month C1-preparation classes in Berlin might be a good investment, under the assumption that since they were holding the exam, they would be able to give good advice about how to prepare.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4803 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 10 of 21
22 October 2014 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
The trouble I heard about from everyone I know to have taken the classes is always the same (and my own brief experience confirms the trend). Lots of time spent on things you can easily do on your own (lengthy explanations of the exam structure which usually just takes a page or two in a coursebook, multiple choice tasks completed together and "discussed", listening tasks from the cds you can do on your own as well) and too little time left for speaking. And the speaking time is divided between you and several (or more) other students. Wriing corrections can be useful but there are fewer than needed, as many students tend to dislike homework even under such conditions, and you are limited when it comes to just bringing in more pieces of writing than assigned, which is something an individual tutor shouldn't have trouble with. Quite the opposite, mine (preparing for dalf C1) encourages me to write more and bring it in, especially since my writing is significantly worse than my speaking.

I'm afraid the only way to find out whether the Goethe class is different is to try it and take the risk, unless you know some of their former students to interrogate on the matter. If I were you, I wouldn't trust much any info about the courses provided by the institution itself.
3 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4327 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 11 of 21
22 October 2014 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

I'm afraid the only way to find out whether the Goethe class is different is to try it and take the risk, unless you know some of their former students to interrogate on the matter. If I were you, I wouldn't trust much any info about the courses provided by the institution itself.

This sounds like every other language class I've tried out. The problem I have is then finding a competent tutor. As you would expect in Berlin there are a ton of people offering to tutor German, but it's hard to differentiate those who are really good for exam preparation and those who are not.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4803 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 12 of 21
22 October 2014 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
Sure it is. I have been recently solving the same issue with finding a French tutor. In the end, I chose a small language school that specializes in individual teaching (so it is more like a tutor appointing agency than a language school) and in just several languages and asked for a tutor that would fit my criteria. The advantages: had I found the tutor bad or different from my needs during the sample session, I could have just asked for another. And should there be any trouble, it is easier to require money back from a language school than individual tutor and the school knows it, so they try to make sure you are going to be content with the service.
2 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5326 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 21
22 October 2014 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
The problem I have is then finding a competent tutor.

Standard tutor-finding advice: Try iTalki's German tutor page. Plan on trying a half-hour session with 3 or 4 tutors before picking somebody. Dig through the list and look to see if anybody specializes in the exam you're taking, and if so, make sure they're one of the people you try.

Online tutoring works great, especially using Skype or another application with high-quality audio. Plus a good tutor can type corrections quietly in the background while you talk.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 14 of 21
22 October 2014 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Plus a good tutor can type corrections quietly in the background while you talk.

I even sometimes type in my own stuff if it's new material or hard for the student to
recognise. This gives them new vocabulary. Some of my students actually make flashcards
from the stuff I type during class!

If someone actually specifically asks for certain exam preparation I have to usually turn
them down - other iTalki tutors do this better than I do. However someone recently
actually passed an exam based on my help, so maybe I should change that policy.

Edited by tarvos on 22 October 2014 at 8:06pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4327 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 15 of 21
23 October 2014 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
patrickwilken wrote:
The problem I have is then finding a competent tutor.

Standard tutor-finding advice: Try iTalki's German tutor page. Plan on trying a half-hour session with 3 or 4 tutors before picking somebody. Dig through the list and look to see if anybody specializes in the exam you're taking, and if so, make sure they're one of the people you try.

Online tutoring works great, especially using Skype or another application with high-quality audio. Plus a good tutor can type corrections quietly in the background while you talk.

I had never thought of using Itaki (the virtues of living in the country of your L2). Unfortunately I have had trouble with Skype on my Linux setup for last six months (something wrong with the microphone) so I will probably end up trying Cavesa's advice and approach some smaller language schools.

Edited by patrickwilken on 23 October 2014 at 10:34am

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4803 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 16 of 21
23 October 2014 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
Big ones could work as well, and have even wider choice of tutors available, just choose one that really knows what the individual tutoring is about and doesn't treat it just as a way to use the free hours of teachers experienced only in class teaching. That's why I didn't like offer of one of the biggest language schools in Prague. Their website and emailed info looked like they tended to treat individual learners just as one student classes.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version