Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4404 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 17 of 21
30 October 2014 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
Keep a daily diary of what is going on in your life. Watch the TV news with your wife then discuss what you
ave seen.

You said your wife is a strong C2 in English. How did she achieve this? Ask her for advice. Sounds like you
already have the ideal tutor at home.
1 person has voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4404 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 18 of 21
30 October 2014 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
Keep a daily diary of what is going on in your life. Watch the TV news with your wife then
discuss what you have seen. Speak with as many natives as possible during the day from all walks of life. It
is a complete fallacy that only "educated" natives are worth speaking to for learning purposes.

You said your wife is a strong C2 in English. How did she achieve this? Ask her for advice. Sounds like you
already have the ideal tutor at home.

Edited by beano on 30 October 2014 at 12:48am

2 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4315 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 19 of 21
30 October 2014 at 8:42am | IP Logged 
beano wrote:

You said your wife is a strong C2 in English. How did she achieve this? Ask her for advice. Sounds like you already have the ideal tutor at home.

She has been the model of much of my German learning over the years. She's unfortunately not an ideal tutor as she doesn't know grammar - "it just sounds right" is the common response to any question - and it's just natural that we use language to communicate, rather than as a learning exercise. She does correct me a little, but I think for really intensive work I'll need to hire a tutor.

She was already a high-B2/low-C1 when I met her. She had 10 years of German in school and had read English books on and off. After about five years of speaking English with her every day, and a couple of years living in the US, she was C2. I put it down to her devouring a lot of English books and newspapers over this time period. What probably finally put her over the top was writing her doctorate in English.

I also noticeably found my English improving after I wrote my PhD. Even though it was a pretty dry psychological thesis, I had write to 1000 or more words per day every day for six months. In Australia, unlike say in the US, there is no oral exam, and you are marked by external examiners you have never met. So there is a huge pressure to make sure what you write is very clear and makes a good argument. I was lucky in that my supervisor gave me lots of written feedback on drafts, which really improved the overall flow of my work.

If I ever get past C1 perhaps writing a book would be the way to get to C2 quickly.

Actually, more realistically, I have been toying with the idea of setting up a German language blog. I already have a English language blog, which has been silent for a while while I work on German. Perhaps its time for a relaunch in a couple of months in German?

Edited by patrickwilken on 30 October 2014 at 9:40am

2 persons have voted this message useful

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4170 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 20 of 21
06 November 2014 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
If you search on youtube , two new oral exams have been uploaded , C1 and B2 . You may find them
interesting . I had been myself for a long time interested in the C1 , but only the C2 video was available .

Edited by albysky on 06 November 2014 at 9:25am

1 person has voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5173 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 21 of 21
06 November 2014 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
emk wrote:
I blundered my way towards to the following
approach:

1. Keep it short. 100 words/day is fine, and it makes it much easier to get
corrections.
2. Write about things you tried to speak about, but handled awkwardly.

Thanks. I think I just need to start. I think the perfectionist in me makes it hard for
to simply start writing.

I identify strongly as a chronic perfectionist. I've found that the writing workshop
offered by my local Alliance Française is working great at combating it. We're forced
to write and present our writing by reading it out loud. There's no homework,
everything is done in class so you're forced to come up with *something*. I'm sure I
can write better with more time to myself, but that's just the point - I end up never
writing anything because I'm afraid it won't live up to some standard I've set for
myself. And some of the stuff I've been producing isn't half bad.

I've also found that going to happy hour and having a cocktail or two before class
helps (there's a reason why writing often goes hand-in-hand with substance abuse). I
don't advocate becoming an alcoholic but a little liquid courage can help get the words
flowing.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version