Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5014 days ago

101 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: French

Message 1 of 14
20 October 2014 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
I'm a big fan of just working my way through parallell texts together with audio books but as I'm still a beginner
sometimes it might be a bit to hard. So I'm looking for source material with both parallel texts and direct
translations if they exist?

I've worked up my own material by some really bad scripts that combines ebooks with webscraping for word
translations and then pushing it all through Latex to get PDF's looking like this :

So does prepared sources like this exist? I've only seen those with parallel texts.
3 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5032 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 2 of 14
20 October 2014 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
I did a similar exercise using guttenberg text. For example I took "Three men in Germany" the sequal to 3 men in a boat by Jerome K Gerome, and Les trois hommes en Allemagne and converted them to PDF using Lyx. I wrote a script then bursts the two PDF's into separate pages, and reconstructs it with alternating pages of English & French. The script did this for me automatically constructed it, then I manually adjusted the Lyx files by inserting page breaks appropriately to get the text lined up and just kept running the script.

I can send you my scripts but they are basically Latex with pdftk. PM Me if you want a copy of them. There is another source of parallel texts which showed up in one of the Super Challange Thread with a link to parallel texts which you might be able to use.

I've also seen some on other places in that same SC thread, and in the SC Wiki (which nobody seems to be updating)

BTW I did think it would be easier to just put two Gutenberg text files in a single web-page with two frames side-by-side. But it might be a hassle to print.

Edit: bad grammar & typos

Edited by rdearman on 20 October 2014 at 5:45pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

juman
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5014 days ago

101 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: French

Message 3 of 14
20 October 2014 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Thank you rdearman for the offer. My script works good enough an produces the result I
want but what I'm looking for is a professional made product of the same. As you can see
in the literal translation part the translations doesn't match the grammatical form all
the time and sometimes doesn't match the content at all. So that is why wonder if some
actually produces material like this?
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5328 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 14
20 October 2014 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
juman wrote:
So does prepared sources like this exist? I've only seen those with parallel texts.

What you're looking for is called an "interlinear gloss", and it's widely used by linguists who need to illustrate points of grammar in foreign languages. The most obvious commercial sources for glosses are Assimil's courses, which provide:

Assimil, for "easy" languages:
- L1 audio
- L1 text
- L2 text, with occasional literal translations in parentheses

Assimil, for "hard" languages:
- L1 audio
- L1 text (in the original writing system)
- L1 transliteration in a Latin alphabet
- L2 word-for-word translation
- L2 natural translation

Other variations on the theme include Ilya Frank's method.

But generally speaking, you won't find many entire books printed like this, because it doesn't take very long to understand 80–90% of the native text directly, at which point tools like readlang, LingQ and Learning with Texts become quite effective.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 5 of 14
20 October 2014 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
interlinear books sell some e-texts. they attempted to promote their stuff on HTLAL though so part of me kinda wants to boycott them. and i'm not aware of any forum member who's actually purchased from them. (although for all i know, they may well be an honest business with an interesting idea)

Edited by Serpent on 20 October 2014 at 9:57pm

Andrew C2
United Kingdom
naturalingo.com/free
Joined 3517 days ago

4 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Written)

Message 6 of 14
20 October 2014 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
This system has been around since at least the early 19th century, when a Mr James Hamilton introduced his interlinear system. Discussed here , and a good example of it is here.

interlinearbooks.com looks nice though might not be as literal as you want, plus it has to use old books out of copyright. There doesn't seem to be much of a market for it, if as Serpent says no-one even from here has bought it.

I like readlang and lingq but you can't always be confident of the translations and you might not spot idioms/phrasal verbs etc. Plain Google translate can do a better job as it looks at more than the word level. Lingq and readlang can too, but you have to spot when you need to look up multi words.

FSI is a great resource which gives literal and natural translations, though you have to follow their set order, or you might get lost.

Edited by Andrew C2 on 20 October 2014 at 10:52pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5116 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 7 of 14
21 October 2014 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 

juman wrote:
I've worked up my own material by some really bad scripts that combines ebooks with webscraping for word
translations and then pushing it all through Latex to get PDF's looking like this :

Great idea, but, IMHO, your layout looks a bit too cluttered. I'd generate a two-column HTML file with interlinear glosses using ruby tags and convert it to an ePub3 book or a Kindle book. (Most Internet browsers still don't support <ruby> tags, but most free ePub3 tablet apps for iPads and Android devices and all current Kindle apps and eInk devices do.)

Andrew C2 wrote:
This system has been around since at least the early 19th century, when a Mr James Hamilton introduced his interlinear system. Discussed here , and a good example of it is here[/URL

There was also a similar German language program, Metoula (Methode Toussaint-Langenscheidt); here's one of the Lehrbriefe.

Andrew C2 wrote:
interlinearbooks.com looks nice though might not be as literal as you want, plus it has to use old books out of copyright. There doesn't seem to be much of a market for it, if ass Serpent says no-one even from here has bought it.

The website definitely looks nice, but their prices are too high. Nobody in their right mind is going to pay $19.99 for an interlinear Kafka short story. I'm pretty sure that they won't have any sales, unless the prices drop to single digits. In case the website owners read my comments, Amazon has announced a new Word Wise feature that looks a lot like English books with Furigana/Ruby text. My guess is that Amazon has licensed a large English thesaurus and will republish all their Public Domain books as "Word Wise enhanced books." Once Word Wise books become available, Interlinear Books might be able to jump on the band-wagon and be one of the first publishers to offer foreign language Word Wise books.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 8 of 14
21 October 2014 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Hmm this kind of price is normal for graded readers though?

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version