timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4393 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 17 of 18
26 October 2014 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
Radioclare, given that you have reached the level where you are able to read Serbocroatian literature, I'm still greatly
interested to know what did you use for intermediate and advanced materials.

I've mostly just used materials for beginners really. I started with 'Teach Yourself Croatian', then moved onto 'Colloquial Croatian', which
turned out to be a really poorly written textbook so I gave up and used the Hippocrene 'Beginner's Croatian' instead. That was a bit more
advanced than TY and the descriptions of grammar etc are a lot more detailed. After that I got the two Ronelle Alexander books which are so
comprehensive that I still haven't successfully worked through to the end of either of them yet. I started reading books when I was about
halfway through those. Now that I've done quite a bit of reading I plan to go back and finish them. Once I've done that I want to study a book
I bought in Zagreb: Pregled povijesti, gramatike i pravopisa hrvatskoga jezika
3 persons have voted this message useful

Gollum87
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3747 days ago

31 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: Serbian*, English
Studies: Italian

Message 18 of 18
02 November 2014 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
Let me answer to some of your questions...

My advice is - Choose one variant (Serbian or Croatian) and learn the one of them
first.. If you are a biginner it would make a mess if you learn both at the same time..
But if you know one, then it will be very very easy to learn another variant... The
differences are only in “ekavian” and “ijekavian” dialects (for example DETE in Serbian
is DIJETE in Croatian, VETAR in Serbian is VJETAR in Crotian... Serbian “E” becomes
“JE” or “IJE” in Croatian variant)... 90% of words are the same.. and 10% of words are
different.. and few gramatical constructions are different...

About translations - The books from Yugoslav era have never been translated from one to
another language... The books by Ivo Andric for example is in Serbian, and people in
Croatia read them in original. But after the break of Yugoslavia Croats do translate
Serbian newer books... But in Serbia we do not translate Croatian books... If you ask
me, I’d say it is THE ONE language with different dialects, and beleve me, the official
Serbian and official Croatian languages are way simmilar with each other then Serbian
of Belgrade, and Serbian spoken in south of Serbia.... But however, most of Croats get
angry when they hear anybody say it is the same language, while so many Serbs think it
is the same language. But that is pollitical statement.. Of course the foreign books
today have 2 translations.. For Croatia and for Serbia..
We use both alphabets in Serbia.. Cyrillic and Latin.. Cyrillic is the official
alphabet of the country, so all documants and formal texts have to be written in
Cyrillic script, but in any other case more people use Latin... I’d say that 80% of
books in Serbia are in Latin script, and yes that makes so many toursist surprised when
they visit Belgrade...

If you have any questions about Serbian or Croatian, I am here to help you :)
It feels great to know there are people who learn my languages. Because Serbian has
never been very popular language to learn..

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version