12 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Jimjam
Australia
Joined 3789 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 1 of 12
28 October 2014 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
Hi, seeing as this is my first ever post, I feel as though I should introduce myself a little.
My name is james, and I am a 19 year old australian university student (starting next year, sort of). I am
majoring in Japanese, and will also be minoring in mandarin, and French. I have previously studied Japanese
for several years, though not very consistently, so I am still at a very high beginner/low intermediate level.
Japanese was definitely my "first love", but recently, German has snuck into the picture and is trying to take
the top spot. I'm not too sure how it happened, seeing as a few years ago, I had no intention of studying it at
all, and even thought of it as a rather ugly language, but one day I decided to learn a little bit, and that
changed it all. I realised that it is actually an amazing language, and I have definitely fallen in love with it as
well. Now, I have decided to get serious with it, atleast until I start uni next March, and I hope this log will help
me keep on track and not get too lazy (which I have proven many times in the past to be a very likely
outcome).

So, my resources for German so far are fairly limited, though I will be buying more this week as I will be in
Sydney for a few days and plan to visit abbeys bookshop and kinokuniya (I shouldn't be allowed in these
places, for my bank accounts sake). As of now, my main resource is assimil German with ease. I am currently
up to lesson 15, and am really loving it! I'm remembering the words fairly easily, and my listening is improving
rapidly! Today, I was able to listen to lesson 15 and understand a large amount first go! The lessons are still
easier, of course but it is definitely a confidence booster!
I am also using duolingo, and am up to nominal pronouns, I believe.
To solidify my grammar, I am using berlitz essential German. It's not the greatest book but it was cheap and it
was there. It was an impulse buy, but I don't regret it at all. It's what made me want to start learning German
in the first place. Though I do hope to find a better resource in sydney.
I also have teach yourself German but I don't use it. It was a real disappointment. It only touchs on grammar
points, instead of actually explaining them.

Ok that should be enough for my first post but I plan to report back tomorrow with an update.
Tschüss!
1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4336 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 2 of 12
28 October 2014 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
Good luck from a fellow German learner!

CheChe
Groupie
United States
Joined 3769 days ago

41 posts - 45 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 3 of 12
28 October 2014 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
Good luck! And yeah we are pretty close in what we are learning.

clmns01
Diglot
Austria
Joined 3492 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Portuguese, Italian

Message 4 of 12
28 October 2014 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Viel Glück! And if you ever want to ask a native anything, you can write me!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jimjam
Australia
Joined 3789 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes

Message 5 of 12
29 October 2014 at 3:49am | IP Logged 
Thank you all for your nice comments! It makes it so much better knowing that there are
others out there to talk to about learning German, and sharing our experiences.

And I might have to take up that offer clmns01!

Mutant
Groupie
United States
Joined 3714 days ago

45 posts - 60 votes 
Studies: French, German

Message 6 of 12
29 October 2014 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
Good luck! I'm also learning German with Assimil (I'm on lesson 34) and so far it's a blast. I had pretty good results with Assimil New French With Ease, so I'm hoping things go as well for German. I've also been using German Made Simple, and it's a nice, inexpensive book.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4712 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 7 of 12
30 October 2014 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
Good luck, and check out Deutsche Welle for a mountain of free, quality resources.

Jimjam
Australia
Joined 3789 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes

Message 8 of 12
06 November 2014 at 8:07am | IP Logged 
That turned out to be a very successful weekend for my German. In sydney, I bought all
my new language resources, such as several Japanese books, 2 new German grammar books
(german demystified to use alongside assimil, and Schaums outline as a review after
finishing demystified), and harry potter in German. I like to give myself something to
work towards.
But the best thing was that i got to spend almost a whole week with a good friend of
mine, who is an austrian exchange student, and the first few days with a German
exchange student, so I was able to ask a lot of questions about different things, and
they helped me work on my pronunciation a little. I'm still at a stage where i cant
form many sentences that would actually be useful in conversation, so I didn't get
much speaking practice, but I learned some new vocab, so i'm still happy. I seem to
remember words much easier when a native speaker teaches them to me.
So, overall i am very happy with how it all turned out!

I am very happy with the books I bought, especially German demystified. I got it after
it was recommended in Maria Athena's video on youtube. It is exactly what i was
looking for in a beginners grammar book, such as that it explains the grammar points
in a clear concise fashion, and in an organised order. It works very well alongside
assimil grammar-wise, in that I am able to work through assimil and pick the grammar
apart, and then read demystified after and solidify that knowledge.

On the other hand, I have Schaums outline, which I find to be much more intense. It
covers roughly the same amount of material, but it teaches in a less user friendly
fashion. Where demystified teaches in a smooth progression, Schaums groups things
together, such as all the different verb forms and conjugations. So, unless someone
likes to learn in this way, it would probably be better off as revision.

As for my studies, the weekend put me a little off track, so i've only done up to
lesson 17, though I have been reading through German demystified, and caught up to
where I am in assimil. Tonight, i'll get back into assimil.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version