Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6382 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 1 of 10
29 October 2014 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
I'm going to Cape Verde in January and my Portuguese is improving faster than expected. I
thought I'd be interesting to get some basic knowledge of the local creole before
arriving. Does anyone know of any resources? Preferrably online ones, though I might
consider buying physical books if I have to. I've found "O dialecto crioulo de Cabo
Verde", but that's written in 1957. I'm still tempted to buy it.
1 person has voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7021 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 2 of 10
29 October 2014 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
I see you speak French, so an introductory book named "Parlons capverdien" (2003) and two cds
(2008) sold separately. I bought mine from Amazon.ca and it is also sold in Amazon.fr

Amazon.fr has more information with a description from the back of the book. Just search
and you will find it.

Edited by alang on 29 October 2014 at 1:32pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5062 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 3 of 10
29 October 2014 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
Having Portuguese, and having intermediate Haitian Creole, I've been curious about Crioulo too. There isn't much available. There seems to be more resources with a French base than an English base. Assimil have Le Créole Capverdien de Poche. I seem to remember a French-Criolou dictionary somewhere too. There's also a course book and cd's from Cape Verde Pa Nu Papia Kriolu for $39.00. I don't know about shipping.

Online-there's a good overview of Criolou here at Kriolu.org and a short list of English-Criolou phrases Say it in Kriolu. Also check out Initiation au créole du Cap-Vert which has some French-based resources. There are some resources here in several languages: Funana.org.

I can't find the Peace Corps "Manual di Kriolu Kauberdi" (134 pages from 1998) anywhere, though I do have the Guinea Bissau version (similar).

My advice, get your Portuguese level as high as you can, Ari, and learn some basic phrases of Cape Verdean Creole.

Edit, looks like alang's got a pretty good solution for you. PM me if you want the Guinea Bissau Peace Corps course.

Edited by iguanamon on 29 October 2014 at 3:54pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5861 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 4 of 10
30 October 2014 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
Actually, it depends on the island you are going to. You can get a rough idea from this wikipedia page.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but your knowledge of Portuguese is not going to help you understand spoken creole. I've heard it in public spaces all my life and never understood one word of it. Of course, many words are Portuguese, but then... mais nada!

If you want a few common expressions, I'd suggest this page (or the forum in general).

Disclaimer: I don't want to sound dismissive, quite on the contrary. I think these creoles can be complicated and they can also interfere with your Portuguese learning in the future. Since everyone in the Islands speaks Portuguese (they also have a high level of literacy, which actually dates from colonial times), you could speak Portuguese (already impressive) and add a few local expressions for good measure. If you really want to learn one of the creoles, be advised: we are talking about full-fledged languages here.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6382 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 

Message 5 of 10
30 October 2014 at 7:41am | IP Logged 
I didn't even think of looking for French things, except checking the Assimil
homepage, which doesn't mention the "LE CRÉOLE CAPVERDIEN de poche" book (I guess it's
been discontinued). I assumed resources in Portuguese would be the most plentiful, and
my reading knowledge of Portuguese is enough to use it as a base. So thanks for all
the great recommendations!

Regarding the warnings and whatnot, yes, I'm aware that everyone speaks Portuguese,
that there are several varieties (but I read there's a "standard" variant used when
communicating across different islands) and that these are difficult-to-learn full-
fledged languages. I don't expect to be at B2 after two months of study. But I'm
curious and I might not have this opportunity again, so I'd like to try a bit of it.
And my experience with Cantonese in Guangdong tells me that even a few phrases of the
local language gets you a whole different reception compared to only speaking the
national language. I also find it respectful to make an effort.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6382 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 

Message 6 of 10
30 October 2014 at 8:38am | IP Logged 
From kriolu.org:

"Na prinsipio Nhor Des kria seu y mundu. Ago mundu staba sen forma y sen nada, sukuru
staba di riba fundura y Spritu di Nhor Des staba ta bua riba d'agus. Nton Nhor Des fla
"Luz", y luz bira. Deus odja ma luz e bon, E sipara luz di sukuridon. Deus txuma luz
"dia" i sukuridon "noti". Dja staba tardi, dja staba parmanhan - primeru dia."

I can read most of that. It looks that the vast majority of words are respelled
Portuguese?

Edited by Ari on 30 October 2014 at 8:51am

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5861 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 7 of 10
30 October 2014 at 9:10am | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
I can read most of that. It looks that the vast majority of words are respelled Portuguese?

When written, yes. But try to understand them when spoken!

And don't forget: many colloquial expressions are completely different from Portuguese.

I can see from the fifth post that you got the gist of what I was trying to say, so there's no danger of discouraging you. That allows me to write what I'm writing, and in the way I'm writing it.

Good luck with your studies (Creole and otherwise).

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5062 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 8 of 10
30 October 2014 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:
...they also have a high level of literacy, which actually dates from colonial times...

Speaking of which, if you want a good introduction to Cabo Verde and improve your Portuguese at the same time. I highly recommend O testamento do Sr. Napumoceno da Silva Araujo by Cape Verdean author Germano Almeida. It's available from Abe Books UK. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's short, well written and packed with so much detail and island color.

Cabo Verde is on my list of Lusophone countries to visit. We have a connection here in the VI. Cabo Verde is where big bad Atlantic hurricanes are often born. We're on about the same latitude and I've often heard the islands described as "the Caribbean of Africa".

Edited by iguanamon on 30 October 2014 at 4:00pm

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version