Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4321 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 9 of 14
29 October 2014 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:

- All the tools are written for Windoze users, I use Linux, so I've had to create a virtual machine.

Oh that sucks. I'm on Linux too and have never had any luck getting Windoze to work virtually (people say it's easy - but not for me).
1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5024 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 10 of 14
29 October 2014 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
rdearman wrote:

- All the tools are written for Windoze users, I use Linux, so I've had to create a virtual machine.

Oh that sucks. I'm on Linux too and have never had any luck getting Windoze to work virtually (people say it's easy - but not for me).

Virtual Box is very good. It is fairly easy to setup and run. Otherwise you have to use Wine, which is a real pain in the proverbial. Although rumour has it that is is better now days.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5653 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 11 of 14
30 October 2014 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
I remember trying an older version of subs2srs with Wine and having trouble, i think your best bet will be either boot into Windows just to make the deck (if you've still got a Windows partition) or set up a virtual machine. The site says there used to be Linux/Mac support but that it was dropped a while back. Virtual Box is pretty straightforward, you'll just need a copy of Windows XP (or some other Windows version), either an .iso or a physical CD. When you load up VirtualBox just click to create a new virtual machine and follow the prompts.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5320 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 14
30 October 2014 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
I agree with you, iganamon, it seems like a really cool way to pick apart a language.

Yeah, that's how it feels for me so far. :-) Every morning, Anki serves up some interesting puzzles and I poke at them for a bit.

rdearman wrote:
I've spent two days struggling to get one show into a deck, and I've been using computers for 30 years.:-)

Some of the problems I've had so far:

That was… epic. And also terrifying.

For the Linux users in the audience, I run Ubuntu 12.04 and use VirtualBox to run a Windows VM. This is only needed for Subtitle Edit and Subs2srs—the other tools all run fine under Linux.

For anybody who'd like a more detailed tutorial, I've gotten the process down to about an evening: There's a detailed tutorial in my log, covering everything but the final Anki import. This assumes that you own DVDs with good bilingual subs in VOBSUB tracks, and that you know how to type in your new language. It can be adapted for more exotic scenarios.

Just for the record, even though I think a multi-season series would be ideal, it may be much easier and cheaper to buy movies with good subtitle tracks.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4321 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 13 of 14
30 October 2014 at 9:22am | IP Logged 
emk wrote:

For the Linux users in the audience, I run Ubuntu 12.04 and use VirtualBox to run a Windows VM. This is only needed for Subtitle Edit and Subs2srs—the other tools all run fine under Linux.

Thanks so much. I'm running Kubuntu 14.04. I have never heard of VirtualBox before. I have tried in the past to get WINE to run a couple of programs but never with much success.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5554 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 14 of 14
30 October 2014 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
One way to get around the thing with hardcoded subtitles is to make screencaps in subs2srs from every scene, and if you only want the subtitles batch crop the resulting screencaps and use those on your cards. Would probably not be possible to use them on a device with a smaller screen.

Edited by Bao on 30 October 2014 at 1:20pm

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version