Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3894 days ago

12 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Persian, Spanish, Mandarin

Message 1 of 2
30 October 2014 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
I've been using Subs2SRS on a few different films over the past few months and have had a really good time reviewing cards. My listening has improved and I've picked up a lot of useful idioms too.

I've been starting to wonder though if I'm getting the most out of it, and if I'm wasting my time on certain cards that I should be deleting. Right now I delete any cards where:
- The audio is muffled or unclear
- The speech is misaligned or cut off
- The line is only someone's name, a grunt or cry, etc.

But I do leave a lot of cards which are very simple - for instance I have several cards each of "Hello", "Thank you," and "What happened?". My original rationale for keeping these was even though I already know phrases like this by heart, it would help with pronunciation and intonation hearing them delivered in different ways. Am I wasting my time on these cards though?

I've read people say they delete something like 90% of Subs2SRS cards on the first go through. How do you decide what to delete?
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5328 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 2
30 October 2014 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
gordafarin wrote:
I've been using Subs2SRS on a few different films over the past few months and have had a really good time reviewing cards. My listening has improved and I've picked up a lot of useful idioms too.

If you're having a good time and making progress, then whatever you're doing is probably working fine. :-)

gordafarin wrote:
I've read people say they delete something like 90% of Subs2SRS cards on the first go through. How do you decide what to delete?

My personal rules of thumb look something like:

1. Is the card too easy? Delete.
2. Is the card too hard? Delete or suspend.
3. Does the card make me die a little bit every time I see it? Delete.
4. Does the card leave me feeling indifferent after several reviews? Delete.
5. Does the card occur during a sex scene? Bulk delete along with all related cards, so I can review my deck in public without getting weird looks.
6. Is the card awesome? Does it contain something useful? Would I feel sad to no longer review it? Keep.

Actually, I tend to use suspend more than delete, because it requires one fewer step in AnkiDroid with gestures enabled. At the moment, it appears that I'm deleting about 2/3rds of the cards in my new Spanish deck, but this number will swing all over the place from day to day and from scene to scene.

The nice thing about subs2srs is I can always go make another thousand cards. And of course, if something's important, it will turn up repeatedly in my input, so there's no obligation to learn it the first time.

(Also, there's Sprachprofi's method, which was to choose which cards to enable, with an emphasis on short cards she could understand, and multiple cards illustrating the same useful vocabulary. But she was starting Japanese from scratch.)

But if your system is working for you, there's no reason to change.
5 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version