Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How long does it REALLY take to learn ___?

Tags: Time to learn
 Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
15 messages over 2 pages: 1
Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6378 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 9 of 15
02 November 2014 at 8:58am | IP Logged 
epictetus wrote:
The idea of quantifying learning into discrete units is amusing:

25 minutes of intense focus and analysis is worth 10 LU (language units).
2 hours of lazy reading with haphazard and infrequent dictionary referencing is worth... 5 LU?
A 5 minute conversation with a native yields 10. But when it directly follows formal instruction, their is a 1.3 multiplier effect!
Daily study adds a baseline multiplier of 1.1; missed days incur penalties.

That's interesting. I'd classify it differently. Maybe:

25 minutes of intense focus and analysis: 10 XP
2 hours of lazy reading: 5 XP
5 minute conversation: 0.5 XP
Daily study doesn't yield a multiplier effect, but longer breaks and the a restart gives you a +1 Armor of Protection.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5395 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 10 of 15
02 November 2014 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
Well, Serpent, the larval stage of a frog is a nuijapää, literally a cudgelhead, because they are a big head with a tail.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6378 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 11 of 15
02 November 2014 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
It's a British word, yes? I've always known them as "tadpoles" in English.
1 person has voted this message useful

victorhart
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
mandarinexperiment.o
Joined 3503 days ago

66 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese*, Spanish, French
Studies: Mandarin

Message 12 of 15
02 November 2014 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I think that the figures in the OP are basically irrelevant to the
experiment at hand. All these figures are based on some form of instruction or
structured learning. What is sorely lacking is figures on purely self-learning and,
more specifically, on the proposed method of learning exclusively by watching
authentic videos in Mandarin.

The relevance is precisely for the purpose of comparison.

The fact is that I am learning and I have made progress. I'm pretty
confident that my first hypothesis will be proved correct--I will sooner or later
understand Mandarin. I'm sure some will say that's only possible because I've watched
shows for toddlers and used English subtitles with movies in many cases, but that's
just fine with me.

What could fairly be said (though for me, it's still much too early to tell) is that
I'm learning far more slowly than I would, say, if I were doing an FSI course, or
using subs2srs, Anki cards with characters, and/or a Pimsleur course.

So to answer my 2nd hypothesis, related to comparative efficiency, having such
parameters is highly relevant.

For anyone involved with language instruction and curriculum development (as I am), or
planning whether and how to tackle a foreign language personally, having these
parameters is also quite useful, as long as they are understood for what they are--
highly contingent and very broad approximations.
1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5226 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 13 of 15
03 November 2014 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
It's rather amusing that one of the threads next to this one as I write this post is on learning to
understand a TV series in 30 days.
How to understand a TV series
in 30 days

The technique used requires some pretty serious work with computer software to put subtitles and
video clips in Anki. One can see how it works because the fundamental idea is to use the subtitles in
two languages as bridges to be able to break the language down into fundamental units that one can
analyze into units of meaning and then intuitively build a passive model of the language.

I can do something similar without doing all that serious computer work if I take a language that is
close to my native language. So let's say that I want to understand Brazilian Portuguese and I have
good knowledge of Spanish plus my native French. The little that I have seen of Brazilian TV with
subtitles leads me to believe that if I were to work with a few hours of recordings and pay close
attention, I think I would end up enough knowledge to be able to follow some soap operas.

This works because of the similarities between French, Spanish and Portuguese. Just the fact of having
the sounds divided up into words is a huge advantage because I can immediately see the resemblances
When things are dissimilar, I pay special attention to the images and I try to guess or deduce the
meaning.

In passing, if I were seriously interested in learning to understand Brazilian Portuguese quickly on my
own, I would get a simple guide to Portuguese grammar just to have an idea of what to look out for.

Trying to learn a language by watching films with completely opaque audio and without the benefits of
subtitles in at least one language that one understands is extremely inefficient because there is no way
to make any connection between meaning and sound beyond some very elementary units for greetings
and interactions such as hello, goodbye and thank you.

I encourage readers to try this with some Youtube videos in a language that you don't understand and
without subtitles. Take a short clip and watch it 20 times and see if you understand it better at the
end. Or watch ten clips in that language and see what you understand at the end.

Basically there will be no difference between the beginning and the end, and for a simple reason. It's all
a stream of meaningless sounds. If you have subtitles, that's right away a huge plus, especially if the
subtitles are in two languages, because you have something to work with.

But to just watch videos with totally incomprehensible audio is, in my opinion, a complete waste of
time from a language learning perspective. If I look at how much Mandarin has been learned so far in
170 hours, this doesn't seem to be going anywhere. On the other hand, it can be a very enjoyable
experience for other reasons, especially in the company of one's daughter, but that's a different story.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 14 of 15
03 November 2014 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:

Indeed, we call them tadpoles (at least in Canada and the US you do).

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4484 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 15 of 15
03 November 2014 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Ari wrote:

Indeed, we call them tadpoles (at least in Canada and the US you do).

Here is how I learned the word pollywog as a kid (in
the US).

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version