electronicmonk
United States
Joined 4039 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 11
18 December 2014 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
I have continued working through LT and I think finished track 71 today. I missed a few days last week of LT, but have continued with duolingo. I like LT's take on the subjunctive and I think they make it fairly intuitive to grasp. I also like how it introduces idiomatic phrases that otherwise can be challenging to understand. I've been pretty busy over the last few weeks, working a lot so most of my additional study time has been eaten up, but will try to get more reading in this week.
1 person has voted this message useful

electronicmonk
United States
Joined 4039 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes

Message 10 of 11
31 December 2014 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
So I think I have missed a few days of LT in the past week or so. I just finished LT track 82 today, so 8 left. I have been very impressed with the course so far, but will give more thoughts when I am done with it. Also continuing with Duolingo which I think I am somewhat addicted to. I can't stop myself. To challenge myself further I started the Spanish to German course which may be a bad idea, but I like having to try and figure things out in Spanish. The nice thing is Spanish is the only hook I have in the course so I have to use my knowledge of Spanish to learn the material. I don't know that I have that much interest in German and my focus is definitely not on learning German per sé, but it was the only non-romance language course available for Spanish speakers that wasn't English. Spanish to English didn't seem like as big of a challenge. Other that I have continued to read here and there in Spanish, not much else.

electronicmonk
United States
Joined 4039 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes

Message 11 of 11
02 January 2015 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
Not so much an update on my progress as it is my goals for the next year, but I felt at least writing them out could help me achieve them.

I would like to:
Finish Spanish to English Duolingo tree (2/3 of the way there)
Finish LT course (almost done)
Start English to Spanish Duolingo tree when done with Spanish to English tree
Obtain translator level 3 on Duolingo (Es -> En) starting when I finish Spanish to English tree
Work through FSI Basic Spanish course
Read at least 1 book/month in Spanish, approx 15 for the whole year
Write at least one post/week on Lang-8 for correction
Finish Destinos
By June start listening to at least 1 podcast/news report/tv show every day

I think this is a good start. I will post as I complete these goals. As for the ambitiousness of all of this... well I like to make goals and plans, I don't get discouraged when I don't achieve them, but I have been looking for some direction in my learning and I think this will help. My plan is to finish LT in the next week and a half then really start working FSI Basic Spanish. I don't care if I don't finish the course, but I would at least like to give it a solid try. As for Destinos - perhaps 1-2 episodes/week. Duolingo I can do on the go/at work/basically anywhere so this is a given and is very easy to do. As for speaking practice... well I will continue to evaluate this one to determine what I want to do. If I don't accomplish all of this or change my mind as I go along then I will post that too. I basically just sat here and thought of all the things I wanted to accomplish and wrote them down regardless of whether or not I would truly be able to achieve them. I think they are all within reach, but if I change my mind so be it. These are not resolutions, however, just goals to aim for. I find it easier to work towards something with a goal in mind.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version