Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Fansubbing/transcribing to aid listening?

Tags: Listening
 Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Slayertplsko
Heptaglot
Slovakia
Joined 4629 days ago

24 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: Slovak*, Czech, FrenchB2, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish

Message 1 of 7
02 November 2014 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
Have you guys ever spent some time making subtitles or transcribing podcasts? If so, in
what way do you think has it helped your listening or other skills? In other words, what
are the benefits of fansubbing or transcribing? Feel free to share your experience.
1 person has voted this message useful

chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 4985 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 2 of 7
03 November 2014 at 2:50am | IP Logged 
Funny you should mention this tonight, as I am in the middle of creating subs for a Russian silent film. It's easy enough, as I can pause it and write down what each intertitle says. The next challenge is to try it on a Russian talkie - which will certainly take me a lot longer (assuming I don't give up).

However, I do have some prior experience in the task. I have previously subtitled 2 or 3 films in each of French, Spanish and Italian (purely as a hobby). They are all old, obscure feature films (1940s to 1970s) - nothing the average person would want to watch. I do find it an extremely useful experience in mastering aural comprehension skills. Sometimes I have to play back a line of dialogue 20 times or more before I can accurately transcribe it. This intensive repetition also improves your understanding of grammar if you are around A2-B1 level. It can take hours and hours to subtitle a feature film, especially if you are doing the timings manually. But I find it both relaxing and engrossing, and a helpful study method.

Anybody else this geeky?

Slayertplsko
Heptaglot
Slovakia
Joined 4629 days ago

24 posts - 29 votes

Message 3 of 7
03 November 2014 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned that I'm planning to do this with French,
where I'm around B2 (low C1 in reading comprehension). I was thinking I could make
subtitles for a TV series I have watched and am watching again now as there are no
subtitles for this series. I would say I should understand pretty much every word used
there. However, I still have difficulties deciphering what they say sometimes, but this
is caused by their pronunciation and fast speech, not really unknown words.

I also plan to transcribe some France Culture podcasts and then shadow them. I think
political debates and such will be most useful as it's exactly the kind of language
which you'll need for speaking. We'll see.

chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 4985 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 4 of 7
03 November 2014 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
Transcribing a podcast or radio download is possibly an even better idea than films, since, as you said, it will be everyday colloquial language.

Slayertplsko
Heptaglot
Slovakia
Joined 4629 days ago

24 posts - 29 votes

Message 5 of 7
03 November 2014 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
I think both have their advantages. Films and series are harder to decipher for many
reasons, but I think it's universally agreed upon. So this trains maybe more your
''raw'' listening skills. Radio podcasts, on the other hand, are easier to understand -
a handful of speakers at most, the same topic for an hour, slightly slower speech - and
therefore don't train your ear as much as they provide you with lots of useful
'sentence/phrase structures', those tiny linking islands whose accumulation improves
fluency (e.g. 'd'après ce que j'ai entendu dire,...'). This would then make them useful
as shadowing material. Anyway, that's just an educated guess at the moment.

Dark_Sunshine
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5561 days ago

340 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 6 of 7
06 November 2014 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
I love this idea! It's excellent motivation for somebody who is passionate about the
cinema of their TL country (or even of their own country- has anyone thought of doing
it the other way around?).

I thought about doing this fairly recently, because I wanted to be able to share
something I saw in a French film with some friends who only speak English. My problem
is that I don't have much patience with computers and technology and I'd probably have
to spend a lot of time learning how to do it first. I'm also unsure about the
copyright issues around taking part of a film, or another person's you tube clip and
re-posting it with subs.

For anyone who's into TED talks, there is a facebook group of volunteer translators (I
think it's called "I translate TED talks") who work to make the TED talks more
accessible to the non-anglophone world. Could be good practice for someone.

Slayertplsko
Heptaglot
Slovakia
Joined 4629 days ago

24 posts - 29 votes

Message 7 of 7
07 November 2014 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
Dark_Sunshine wrote:
(or even of their own country- has anyone thought of doing
it the other way around?).

I haven't. An interesting idea.

Dark_Sunshine wrote:
I thought about doing this fairly recently, because I wanted to be
able to share
something I saw in a French film with some friends who only speak English. My problem
is that I don't have much patience with computers and technology and I'd probably have
to spend a lot of time learning how to do it first. I'm also unsure about the
copyright issues around taking part of a film, or another person's you tube clip and
re-posting it with subs.

From a purely legal point of view, fansubbing is a problem. You need to have a
permission from the author. However, from a moral point of view, how can there be
anything wrong with that? You're exposing people to the film who would have otherwise
never been exposed to it and by doing this you're making it more likely that the film
becomes popular in your country, which in turn means that it may at some time in the
future be distributed on DVDs with subtitles. A win-win situation, I think.

As far as doing it for your personal use goes, there should be no legal issue if you
only do this to improve your language.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version