Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6364 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 1 of 3
03 November 2014 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
Until a few days ago, I was unaware of the great resource that is tatoeba.org. It's a
resource site that gathers sentences in loads of languages, translated into other
languages. Some of these sentences have audio recordings by native speakers. The amazing
this about this resource is that it's all CC-by, meaning other people can develop their
own applications that use these sentences in different ways. This opens up loads of
possibilities for independent developers.

One such developer is the guy or girl behind listeningpractice.org. The site simply plays
you audio that you get to decipher and then rate your performance (which helps the site
rate the sentences by difficulty level). I find the site immensely interesting and I'll
start experimenting with it soon. And I think I'll help tatoeba by contributing with some
translations into Swedish and some Swedish recordings, too.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5381 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 2 of 3
03 November 2014 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
Yes, Tatoeba is great to mine sentences. I feed Finnish ones to Quizlet, because it has a voice generator, if you play Speller. I think 80% of my sentences there come from Tatoeba. It is a nice community, where you can also discuss supposed (spelling?) errors in the example sentences. And one has usually a translation, what also helps.

PS. What do you nean by CC-by. Is it Creative-Commons-ably?

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6364 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 3 of 3
03 November 2014 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
CC-by is shorthand for Creative Commons Attribution license (see this link for details).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version