United Kingdom
Joined 4705 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 1 of 12
04 November 2014 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
edwin wrote:
Being inspired by the method posted in this thread, I am going to purpose yet another vocabulary building method. You are going to learn 700 words per week!

1) Pick 100 words randomly from a dictionary of your target language

2) Bake 100 cookies and engrave one word onto one cookie. Do this for all cookies.

3) Pick up 1 cookie at a time, read out the word on it, then eat it

4) Eat all 100 cookies

5) Do it everyday

I believe by eating the word literally, you are going to memorize it forever.

As you can see, the set-up time is huge, but that's irrelevant. It is only a one-time thing (per day). The actual time you spend is when you are eating the cookies. If you eat 5 cookies per minute, it will only take you 20 minutes each day.

I actually did some research and published a paper for my master thesis many years ago. But unfortunately, it is not related to this method. In fact, it is totally unrelated to language learning.

If you find other research which potentially undermine this method, I can tell you (without reading those research) that they are totally unreliable. Don't trust them! Trust me!

Yes, trust me! No need to argue with me now. Try it out first before you comment on my method. In fact, I won't be replying to anyone who has not tried my method.

Please don't forgot to report to me your progress everyday.

I recently rediscovered this brilliant learning method on an old thread, and thought it really needs to be brought back to the attention of the HTLAL community.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4030 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 2 of 12
04 November 2014 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
100 cookies per day? I'm quite a sweet tooth, but this sounds like too much even to me, haha, let alone the process of picking the words and baking cookies.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6499 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 12
04 November 2014 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
And if I eat a cookie and forget the word on it, how can I then see which word I should have learnt?

Maybe it's better to have a list of words and and a bucketful of cookies - one cookie per word you remember.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 12
04 November 2014 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
And the context was this thread, presenting a vocabulary method with the assumption that we all have tons of paper flashcards that we can't be bothered to study.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5395 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 5 of 12
04 November 2014 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Yes I see, my vocabulary treasure will grow as fast as my pot belly.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4705 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 6 of 12
04 November 2014 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
And the context was this thread, presenting a vocabulary method with the assumption that we all have tons of paper flashcards that we can't be bothered to study.

There was a reason I didn't link to the original thread...
1 person has voted this message useful

chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 4985 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 7 of 12
05 November 2014 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
If this method works anything like Anki, then on day 17 it will tell me I will have 5329 cookies to eat.
7 persons have voted this message useful

s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4842 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Sign Language, German, Spanish, French

Message 8 of 12
05 November 2014 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
Getting fat isn't even the biggest problem with this method.

After 40-50 cookies, anyone would probably just throw up.
A couple more days of this method, and most people would rather eat paper with these words on them than any more dreaded cookies.
And anyone forced to adhere to this dietetical exercise for a couple of weeks would probably need a psychiatrist for the rest of their life.

Even if you try to learn only 10 words a day, cookies would soon produce satiety and further reinforcement would only turn you against cookies and consequently against vocabulary acquisition.

I suspect very few rewards would work consistently for ~10 a day. Imho, maybe M&M size chocolates, sugar pills, or nicotine pills (not cigarettes).

For ~100 rewards a day, even these options would be too much. You'd have to resort to pharmaceutical level doses, i.e. milligrams of rewards, if not less.

IMHO A good reward system of this type would have to combine chunking with physical and psychological rewards. For psychological rewards you might use Pomodoro technique with Seinfeld-type calendar, or some similar system.
So, for instance a small chocolate (assuming you like chocolate) after every set of 10 words learned, 3-4 times a day, plus an extra reward for a successful day (maybe cookie) and every successful week (maybe your favorite takeout).

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version