day1
Groupie
Latvia
Joined 3693 days ago

93 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 9 of 15
12 November 2014 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
Why not try some other kinds of listening? Kind of stuff that is not beyond (or less beyond) you current level?

I find giving myself small dictations useful - just take any textbook with a CD, and use the recorded dialog or article as a dictation. You might want to slow it down a bit, many audio players let you do that. Just listen and try to write it down. Use the book to check when you're done. Learn all the unfamiliar words.

Also, on radio, like you say, it all depends on a program, how familiar are you with the subject. Why not try audiobooks instead? Choose any book you have been reading before in any language so you know what is supposed to be happening. If you also own the book itself, making word lists and/or double checking stuff gets so much more easy.

Also, why not try listening exercises? Hard to say what your exact level is, but just a few links for an idea what to look for:

practise-your-listening-skills

Edited by day1 on 12 November 2014 at 11:58am

2 persons have voted this message useful

roni
Diglot
Finland
Joined 3475 days ago

22 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Finnish

Message 10 of 15
12 November 2014 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I don't doubt that, but I've been enjoying it for about 10 years :) Ever
been to a festival god knows where? ;)

As for Ymmärrä suomea, do you also understand the texts if you listen to them without
reading in advance?

I couldn't find how to start audio there. Please, tell me where it is.
I understand selkouutiset without transcript.
How about you? Can you follow http://yle.fi/radio/ylepuhe/suora/ ? How hard is it in your
opinion? Of course, there are different programs but can you give any general thoughts?
1 person has voted this message useful

roni
Diglot
Finland
Joined 3475 days ago

22 posts - 34 votes

Message 11 of 15
12 November 2014 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
roni wrote:
on weekend I generally take a break with listening and on
Monday it is total disaster.

Do you sometimes over do it on the weekend?

In fact it is other way around. I'm more busy on weekend than on other days. But I try to
go through my cards anyway. Often I don't have time for anything else.
Normally I listen to radio on the way to work and back home. It is more than one hour.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 15
13 November 2014 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
Are you driving when you listen? That's a great opportunity, but you probably need to devote some more focused time as well. Audiobooks are a great idea for sure. You can listen on your way and then go over the written text to find what you missed.

You can also try Yle podcasts. I remember signing up for some cool stuff about languages and medicine.

In general TV is considered easier than the radio for learners, due to visual clues and often being more entertainment-oriented.

YnEoS wrote:
Serpent wrote:
Also let me know if you need Finnish music recs ;)

Some of us may need these, even if we're not studying Finnish.

I've posted some previously, here and here.

roni
Diglot
Finland
Joined 3475 days ago

22 posts - 34 votes

Message 13 of 15
13 November 2014 at 9:16am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Are you driving when you listen? That's a great opportunity, but you
probably need to devote some more focused time as well. Audiobooks are a great idea for
sure. You can listen on your way and then go over the written text to find what you
missed.

You are right. I will do as you suggest. I've just purchased ebook - Inferno by Dan
Brown. There is also audiobook. I will try it when I acquire some of the vocabulary used
in the book.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 15
13 November 2014 at 10:35am | IP Logged 
Aww, I'm going to read Inferno soon too :)
Who is the narrator of the audiobook? Da Vinci Code was read by Lars Svedberg (sp?) who's just amazing.

roni
Diglot
Finland
Joined 3475 days ago

22 posts - 34 votes

Message 15 of 15
13 November 2014 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Aww, I'm going to read Inferno soon too :)
Who is the narrator of the audiobook? Da Vinci Code was read by Lars Svedberg (sp?) who's
just amazing.

Yes. It is him. You can by it from here: https://kirja.elisa.fi/aanikirja/inferno
Yesterday there was a special offer. Ebook and audiobook cost something like 5 euro each.

Edited by roni on 13 November 2014 at 12:37pm

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version